Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why I made the sacrifice and paid it off and offered it to a friend as payment to ship some electronics to another friend of ours.

The 8xx series was a flop in North America. We knew that once t-mo asked for a carrier variant of the 820, it had to sell or else it would get the quick hook. When comparing the 521 to the 810, there's a good chance that the numbers sold are either close to each other or more 521s, hence the support for the 521. They've got to update the 925, so that one is safe regardless of sales numbers.

Unless it is for a switch to VZW, I'm never getting a carrier branded phone. Again.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Fresh from Twitter@TMobileHelp
"We need to quality test each release to ensure it's compatible with our own software overlay before releasing an update. ^AC"
Ignoring "NOT AVAILABLE" which with AMBER it said "waiting for approval"

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I feel bad for anyone that still has this phone. If you look up "don't give a sheet" in the dictionary, the definition would be t-mobile and their handling of the 810.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Fresh from Twitter@TMobileHelp
"We need to quality test each release to ensure it's compatible with our own software overlay before releasing an update. ^AC"
Ignoring "NOT AVAILABLE" which with AMBER it said "waiting for approval"
well I was looking at the previous update on nokia updates and I saw a few who didn't get the amber update but are getting the black update.... so I know this WAY WAY far fetched but maybe they found compatibility issues on the 810 with this update so its not available ? but how come the 521 is being tested for the black so I give the conclusion of its not a compatibility issue but more of a $ issue here

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Just sent an email to Elop asking for clarification of the 810 Black update "compatibility" on one page, vs "not available" on another.

Also a more general question about the concerns/rumors of high-end Lumias not coming to T-Mobile...

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
Availability in North America - Nokia

I hope he gives you some satisfactory answers. Personally, the issue has been this: t-mo doesn't have the subscribers to make them a key player in the WP high end game. Nokia as as OEM will make a phone for anyone who has the base to keep up demand. So VZW and AT&T will get dibs (at least t-mo is better than Sprint). We know that both the 8X and the 810 sold terribly on t-mo. And honestly, I doubt the 925 has lit it up there as well - just as many of us here thought would happen. The only thing t-mo has sold well for WP8 was the 521. T-mo has had only one high end WP model that sold nicely - the HD7. The 8X was high end, but they overpriced it like they did with the 925. There is no reason to expect them to get a high end WP again, unless it is like the 8X where all the carriers get it, but t-mo gets the smallest orders for theirs.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
well I was looking at the previous update on nokia updates and I saw a few who didn't get the amber update but are getting the black update.... so I know this WAY WAY far fetched but maybe they found compatibility issues on the 810 with this update so its not available ? but how come the 521 is being tested for the black so I give the conclusion of its not a compatibility issue but more of a $ issue here

The 822 and 820 are for all practical purposes the same as the 810 aren't they? All three models come with packed a 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor inside, along with a 4.3” OLED Clear Black Display capable of delivering an 800?480 pixels resolution, and they're scheduled in...

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly why I made the sacrifice and paid it off and offered it to a friend as payment to ship some electronics to another friend of ours.

The 8xx series was a flop in North America. We knew that once t-mo asked for a carrier variant of the 820, it had to sell or else it would get the quick hook. When comparing the 521 to the 810, there's a good chance that the numbers sold are either close to each other or more 521s, hence the support for the 521. They've got to update the 925, so that one is safe regardless of sales numbers.

Unless it is for a switch to VZW, I'm never getting a carrier branded phone. Again.

521 was one of the fastest selling phones for Walmart last year,
in September 2013 the 521 was second to the 822 for total sales of Nokia phones in US 14.2% vs 14.6%
810 was 2.9% and beat out the 820 by .5% . So 521 creamed the 810 for total sales even with the 810's sales added in from late fall 2012,
Q4 2012 the 810 sold 140K units
920 was the leader with over 2.5Mil for 2013 from what I can find out.

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
521 was one of the fastest selling phones for Walmart last year,
in September 2013 the 521 was second to the 822 for total sales of Nokia phones in US 14.2% vs 14.6%
810 was 2.9% and beat out the 820 by .5% . So 521 creamed the 810 for total sales even with the 810's sales added in from late fall 2012,
Q4 2012 the 810 sold 140K units
920 was the leader with over 2.5Mil for 2013 from what I can find out.
I guess since they EOL'ed it there is no point continuing the updates maybe that's why the 820 and the 822 are still getting updates

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So, we 810 users are not alone. Five Lumias won't get the Black update ("Not Available" status of Black update)

810 - T-Mobile (North America-USA)
520 - 3 Italy (Europe-Italy)
720 - Wind (Europe-Italy)
720T - CMCC (Asia Pacific-China)
925T - CMCC (Asia Pacific-China)
Well, that list has gotten shorter this morning, as of 1/10/14 01:09 UTC...

So there is some hope that we won't be left behind. Remember we (L810 owners) were some of the last ones to get Amber. But at least we got it, if you look hard at the Nokia Software update page, you will see some phones, on some carriers, didn't get Amber at all, but are getting Black.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess since they EOL'ed it there is no point continuing the updates maybe that's why the 820 and the 822 are still getting updates

No guarantee that AT&T will push through the 820 update timely because their lineup has the 520, 920 (unofficially), 925, 1020 and 1520. 920 will get it sooner than the 820 for sure. VZW only has the 928 and the 822 (929 should come with it installed). So the 822 should get it, the 820 eventually and the 810 - probably never. That's why carrier variants are always hit or miss...

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Well, that list has gotten shorter this morning, as of 1/10/14 01:09 UTC...

So there is some hope that we won't be left behind. Remember we (L810 owners) were some of the last ones to get Amber. But at least we got it, if you look hard at the Nokia Software update page, you will see some phones, on some carriers, didn't get Amber at all, but are getting Black.

T Mobile was before AT&T if I remember...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sahib,
I posted a step by step guide. Running GDR3 on my 810 now along with the Nokia Folder from the App Store. It is about 65% of the Lumia Black...better than nothing:)

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Sahib,
I posted a step by step guide. Running GDR3 on my 810 now along with the Nokia Folder from the App Store. It is about 65% of the Lumia Black...better than nothing:)

FYI
APP Folder doesn't require Black or even Amber you just download it and ...
...for some reason people think it does reading the threads about Black, not saying you do, just clarifying that.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Just sent an email to Elop asking for clarification of the 810 Black update "compatibility" on one page, vs "not available" on another.

Also a more general question about the concerns/rumors of high-end Lumias not coming to T-Mobile...

Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia
Availability in North America - Nokia

Elop escalated my "complaints."

I received a "Complaint Escalation" reply email from a customer care rep last night that only said they were looking into my concerns, and would get back to me. The fact that I haven't received any sort of definitive answers yet, I actually consider good news.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Elop escalated my "complaints."

I received a "Complaint Escalation" reply email from a customer care rep last night that only said they were looking into my concerns, and would get back to me. The fact that I haven't received any sort of definitive answers yet, I actually consider good news.

Sorry for questioning you.. but you send an email indeed to Stephen Elop? :smile: hoping that we will have the updates not just for gdr3 but untill 8.1 as they promised :)

PS. nokia and t mobile's reply to me...

https://twitter.com/froilan05/status/421460338538582016

https://twitter.com/NokiaCareUS/status/421842274318704641

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for questioning you.. but you send an email indeed to Stephen Elop? :smile:

Yes, I sent the below email to Mr. Elop directly.

"Dear Mr. Elop,

I have a couple quick questions, if you have a minute:

I recently switched from AT&T to T-Mobile, and now have a Lumia 810 to complement my 920. I'm trying to figure out if my 810 will receive the "Black" software update. Your website says on one page that the 810 is compatible; however, on another page, it says that it is not available for the 810. Not real clear--to me, anyway.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/
http://www.nokia.com/global/support...oftware-update/availability-in-north-america/

Also, any idea why I cannot tether my unlocked 920 on T-Mobile's network? T-Mobile tech support has given up trying to figure it out. They attribute it to my using an "unlocked" phone, and say that is that. Note, the reason I had to downgrade to an 810, was because of my need to tether.

Lastly, there has been a fair amount of concern/rumors that T-Mobile is not going to get/is not interested in getting high end Lumias. As a new customer of theirs, I sincerely hope this is not true, as I am anxiously awaiting a T-Moblie variant of the Lumia 1520.

Best Regards,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss