Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This isn't anything different than a blogger making the same assumption as many people in this thread. In other words, no new info. I just sent the link to the rep I chatted with earlier. She did tell me to save her number if I had any more questions...

ID yes and her division telephone number yes, at least you got that, they usually don't even do that,
but T Mobile service reps cannot and do not give out their personal extension numbers for obvious reasons.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Very briefly:

I just got off the phone with a Nokia rep (who said she got my email from Mr. Elop), and she assured me--several times--that the 810 will get the Black update. She had no idea when, other than soon, but that it will be included in the "gradual" roll-out of Black. She had no idea why the web page says what it says, but that they were being very careful with the roll-out.

She apologized about the 920 tethering issue, "things like that sometimes happen with unlocked phones." And was very interested in the rumors about T-Mobile being possibly not being interested in high-end Lumia (sounded very much like news to her).

Possibly an interesting aside, when I was talking to the Nokia rep about a (hopeful) 1520 for T-Mobile, she started talking about the 2520. I unfortunately cut her off (because I though she mis-heard me ask about the 1520), but I think what she was trying to to tell me was that Nokia was trying to get the 2520 on T-Mobile. Regardless, she did want to talk about the 2520. She mentioned--a couple times--how happy they were with sales of that device, mentioning AT&T and Verzion in the same sentence. She really was excited about the 2520.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
This CS "rep" is the ONLY one from TM who "says" the 810 will get Lumia Black.
Either she just wants to get rid of you so she says that, or she is lying or drunk.
Either way it's BS, and if anyone here actually belives that only this
one rep knows the truth and no other TM rep knows ...then they must believe in Santa Claus.

Twitter and on T-Mobile Support Community Reps say they don't know or haven't heard of it or we always make sure
it works with a device first and ignore Not Available when asked and provide this link
Software update: Nokia Lumia 810 | T-Mobile Support
and say look there to find out.

I believe it's good to be positive but not in the face of NOT AVAILABLE, and if TM thinks that is wrong since "I have no idea why the web page says that"
then TM should tell NOKIA to change if TM doesn't want that to be misconstrued, and change to ''waiting for approval' because they are being very careful which this one (and only) "knowledgeable" rep seems to imply. With Amber it never said Not Available for the 810.
If TM says it doesn't want Not Available to be interpreted as to mean 810 owners will never get it, by the end next week it should be change, since it was reported that the rep replied to this question on the 14th. This doesn't take an act of Congress or an act of God, the T Mobile liaison officer can ask Nokia to change it since Nokia gets that information from the carrier - T Mobile.

But I ask all of you, who are you gonna believe, this rep or your lying eyes ?

Last edited:

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This CS "rep" is the ONLY one from TM who "says" the 810 will get Lumia Black.
Either she just wants to get rid of you so she says that, or she is lying or drunk.
Not sure why you feel the need to go on such an extended/continued rant, but, as it turns out, the NOKIA rep I am in contact with just called me and confirmed that the 810 will not receive the "Black" update. She said she could not go into the "confidential" details of the document she had in hand, but told me that while the 810, itself, is certainly capable of being updated to Black, it will not receive the update.

Anyway, in my several dealings with Nokia Customer Support (going back to the N95 8GB), they have ALWAYS gone out of their way, in the most honest and direct way of any company I have dealt with--and this is no exception. Obviously, a bit disappointed in T-Mobile, but I am satisfied with Nokia's initial response and subsequent follow-through.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mother @#$#&% T-Mobile!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess it's time to unlock my 810 and put it up on e-bay. Damn,I really like this phone.

Tmob sent me my unlock code a week ago for the 810, I still have 13 more days to decide to either keep the 925 or return it. I'm leaning towards keeping it as a filler until MS releases some new 2014 models with at least an SD slot. I guess it's time to put the 810 on flea bay or use it as a action cam and mount it on my KLX 250. I really hate to get rid of the phone the video cam is worth keeping it along with many movies I put on the sd card.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
im sticking with the 810 because I really do like it and ill wait till 8.1 comes out to see if any T-Mobile phones come with Micro sd slot

Yea I'm starting to think along the same lines, but the path of Nokia doesn't look very good either. It seems they are dead set against SD support for their mid range devices. If so then give us real storage instead of chiseling us with gimped internal storage. 120 gigs isn't out of the question especially with HD video and Hi res photo's along with maps and music. Tough call on my end... do I keep the gimped 925 or return it and hope and prey for something that will fit my needs.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yea I'm starting to think along the same lines, but the path of Nokia doesn't look very good either. It seems they are dead set against SD support for their mid range devices. If so then give us real storage instead of chiseling us with gimped internal storage. 120 gigs isn't out of the question especially with HD video and Hi res photo's along with maps and music. Tough call on my end... do I keep the gimped 925 or return it and hope and prey for something that will fit my needs.

I'll keep the 810 till it dies...but I am looking forward to deciding between the 920 (Pentaband LTE 32GB) vs HTC 8X (T-Mo 4G 16GB)...decisions decisions. I'll keep one, sell the other one and get a Moto G just for grins...

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the 925 went back to tmob today and the mighty 810 is back in the field. Yea eating crow for 50.00 restock fee is a real pisser on their end, now I just have to wait and see if anybody will make a phone with min 32 gig internal, and SD slot. Doesn't the 929 look alot like our 810's but with better hardware under the hood? And if it is the same as the 810 dimension wise why on earth did they leave out SD slot again! As thick and hefty as the unit is no excuse to deny the 929 plenty of room to double stack the cards like the 810 and bing! true winner.... As sahib said run it till you kill it and hopefully by 2016 there will be real phones with real storage. Will only buy global unlockers from now on.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Well the 925 went back to tmob today and the mighty 810 is back in the field. Yea eating crow for 50.00 restock fee is a real pisser on their end, now I just have to wait and see if anybody will make a phone with min 32 gig internal, and SD slot. Doesn't the 929 look alot like our 810's but with better hardware under the hood? And if it is the same as the 810 dimension wise why on earth did they leave out SD slot again! As thick and hefty as the unit is no excuse to deny the 929 plenty of room to double stack the cards like the 810 and bing! true winner.... As sahib said run it till you kill it and hopefully by 2016 there will be real phones with real storage. Will only buy global unlockers from now on.

We are clearly looking for the same type phone. Yes, the 929 looks like a great device except that it lacks the SD card slot. I'd love to see a global unlocked version of something like the 929 but with a SD card slot. At this point, a phone like that would be my dream device.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

well after the 810 is unusable I will go the global variant instead of a carrier variant just because I don't have any faith in carriers and updates

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Very briefly:

I just got off the phone with a Nokia rep (who said she got my email from Mr. Elop), and she assured me--several times--that the 810 will get the Black update. She had no idea when, other than soon, but that it will be included in the "gradual" roll-out of Black. She had no idea why the web page says what it says, but that they were being very careful with the roll-out.
She apologized about the 920 tethering issue, "things like that sometimes happen with unlocked phones." And was very interested in the rumors about T-Mobile being possibly not being interested in high-end Lumia (sounded very much like news to her).

Obviously she does not know WTF she is talking about because
it's official NOKIA has already decided (two weeks ago) not to support the 810, it's not even T Mobile.

T-Mobile Lumia 810 Will Not Receive Nokia Lumia Black Update

Last edited:

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Obviously she does not know WTF she is talking about because
it's official NOKIA has already decided (two weeks ago) not to support the 810, it's not even T Mobile.

T-Mobile Lumia 810 Will Not Receive Nokia Lumia Black Update

no one has YET confirmed this. nokia site even says that L810 is compatible to "black" not unless they will issue an official statement which is also not YET happening. so why not just release it? i don't think it is nokia / MS whose holding the update...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
no one has YET confirmed this. nokia site even says that L810 is compatible to "black" not unless they will issue an official statement which is also not YET happening. so why not just release it? i don't think it is nokia / MS whose holding the update...

I don't really know the process between OEM and carrier as far as which phones will get firmware updates, but I assume that the OEM approaches the carrier and asks for compensation to write the update. So I tend to agree with froi francisco, I doubt it is Nokia/MS that is holding Black back from the 810. That kind of stunt smells like T-Mobile to me....

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I've been able to research about phone firmware update and such, the process is:

1. The manufacturer develops the firmware and does initial testing.
  2. The manufacturer then sends the firmware to the carrier.
  3. The carrier does it's own internal testing.
  4. If bugs are found or customization is needed the information is sent back to the manufacturer and changes are made by the manufacturer.
  5. When the carrier is satisfied with the firmware, it is then pushed to the phone.

Later the manufacturer may find a firmware bug on their own, or wants to add some feature so the software on the phone can use that feature, the process starts over. I have never heard of a manufacturer charging a carrier for updates/changes.

It is the CARRIER that makes the final decision on whether or not the phone gets the firmware update. There are many stories on the net that relate that the manufacturers send multiple firmware updates for various phones to the carriers, but the carriers won't send them out to the phones.

The closest analogy I can think of how stupid this is, would be: You bought a MS Surface tablet and MS creates a new firmware for your network card, but it has to be OK'd by your ISP before you can install it. You can get the O/S updates and everything else updated, but not the NIC firmware since your ISP is worried that the firmware will 'break' their network.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
^ ^^ Although an interesting primer on updates, it looks like NOKIA didn't even develop the firmware update for the 810
so in the end it doesn't matter how the process unfolds -for 810 owners,
you're not only EOL, you're SOL. :straight:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05