Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Mr. Lebowski,

If you bothered to look through all the regions and the phone models, there were several that were initially marked as "Not Available", then "Coming soon", then they gradually changed to "Waiting for approval", and eventually set as "Available" on the exact same model phone that was approved on a different carrier. This is an example of Nokia showing the carriers going through their approval process.

Our only hope is that we might get the next firmware, as again if you look through all the regions/phone list, there were a couple that did not get the "Amber" update, but did get the "Black" update. We can only hope, but I am doubtful.

I did call and request my unlock code today.

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Care @NokiaHelps on Twitter says "We'd be grateful for your understanding our position on this matter" in a reply to that link sent to them.
Y'all can continue to wait and hope and pray for a second chance at a bite of the apple if you like,
but why would they provide the next update, when they didn't provide the current one ? :smile:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Mr. Lebowski for your kind consideration and empathy for the pain that 810 owners are going through. Some people paid good money for the 810 only to have T-Mobile abandon it like they've abandoned so many other WP devices before. If some people want to hold out hope for continued support for the 810 while at the same time realizing that it is likely hopeless, that is up to them.

You seem like a very kind and graceful fellow, one that allows people to work their issues through without unnecessary hectoring. No wait, I've got that wrong don't I. Isn't there a freeway that you can play on or somewhere else you can dispense your grace?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you Mr. Lebowski for your kind consideration and empathy for the pain that 810 owners are going through. Some people paid good money for the 810 only to have T-Mobile abandon it like they've abandoned so many other WP devices before. If some people want to hold out hope for continued support for the 810 while at the same time realizing that it is likely hopeless, that is up to them.

You seem like a very kind and graceful fellow, one that allows people to work their issues through without unnecessary hectoring. No wait, I've got that wrong don't I. Isn't there a freeway that you can play on or somewhere else you can dispense your grace?

I'm in the same situation, but I'm realistic that's all -how much proof does anyone need ? God telling you "it's over" ?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the same situation, but I'm realistic that's all -how much proof does anyone need ? God telling you "it's over" ?

Apparently you fail to understand or value grace. One of the aspects of acting with grace is to allow others to come to their own conclusions on matters that are not critical to others or yourself. In like fashion what people consider "proof" about continued OTA support from T-Mobile or Nokia for the 810 is really up to them to decide.

I came to the decision that the writing was on the wall for the 810 back in April or so of last year. So yea, my conclusion is that it is likely that there will be no more OTA updates for the 810. But I am certainly not talking about "God telling you" or "proof", that's graceless...

So you've decided that there will be no further 810 OTA updates and I concur that is likely. However being less than charming about how you present your opinions may be something you may want to attend to.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Apparently you fail to understand or value grace. One of the aspects of acting with grace is to allow others to come to their own conclusions on matters that are not critical to others or yourself. In like fashion what people consider "proof" about continued OTA support from T-Mobile or Nokia for the 810 is really up to them to decide.

I came to the decision that the writing was on the wall for the 810 back in April or so of last year. So yea, my conclusion is that it is likely that there will be no more OTA updates for the 810. But I am certainly not talking about "God telling you" or "proof", that's graceless...

So you've decided that there will be no further 810 OTA updates and I concur that is likely. However being less than charming about how you present your opinions may be something you may want to attend to.

I really don't care to play games or pretend and could care less what you think,
other than you have every right to think and say what you want.
Good Luck

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I really don't care to play games or pretend and could care less what you think,
other than you have every right to think and say what you want.
Good Luck

Oh Mr. Lebowski, your retorts are so WITHERING!!! Your talk about "games or pretend" is weak and nonsensical and given that I am mocking you, be assured I too care less about what you think. You are probably one of those people that think that "freedom of speech" is an intrinsic right, that it is an end in itself. Well that's a common rookie mistake. Freedom of speech is a means to an end, the end being an approximation of truth. That is you don't have the right to just open your gaping maw and dump your opinion on others because you can, but rather that through all those expressing their opinion society can come to an approximation of truth via a "marketplace of ideas." Are you still with me, or am I just wasting my time talking to you. I vote for the latter. In any case you've made your opinion heard and so your job here is done. Thank you and I appreciate your good wishes.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Mr. Lebowski,

If you bothered to look through all the regions and the phone models, there were several that were initially marked as "Not Available", then "Coming soon", then they gradually changed to "Waiting for approval", and eventually set as "Available" on the exact same model phone that was approved on a different carrier. This is an example of Nokia showing the carriers going through their approval process.

Our only hope is that we might get the next firmware, as again if you look through all the regions/phone list, there were a couple that did not get the "Amber" update, but did get the "Black" update. We can only hope, but I am doubtful.

I did call and request my unlock code today.

You do have a point ...I saw that too that some didn't get amber but are in the process of getting black ...maybe ....tmobile figures that is not worth spending money to test and approve of the black update so they will wait for windows 8.1 to use that money to pass that update ...... wishful thinking ......but its a possibility :cool:

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
You do have a point ...I saw that too that some didn't get amber but are in the process of getting black ...maybe ....tmobile figures that is not worth spending money to test and approve of the black update so they will wait for windows 8.1 to use that money to pass that update ...... wishful thinking ......but its a possibility :cool:

wishful thinking indeed... specially that rumors are saying, 8.1 is about less than 3 months from now.. Mary Jo Foley: Windows Phone 8.1 may come in April | WMPoweruser

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Regardless... I'm quite happy after they fixed the storage issue. As far as first smartphones go I'm sure I could have done worse. Worst case I'll just recreate the scene from 2001.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well you wrote as tho' it was recent ( the below was on the 9th) and "he" expedited it (which according to you was the very same day the 9 th) , HE doesn't open his emails unless of course you have his personal account and no corporation publishes that and no CEO (when he was at NOKIA) does either, can you image all the request and rants a CEO would get?, an assistant reads emails addresses to "him" and sends ones that they seem worthy of reading to him possibly, usually the assistant just replies with his OK

and you want us/me to believe that any corporation /CEO would not only read your email but expedite it the very same evening of the day you sent it ? So Elop read your email on the 9th "I just sent it" and that evening of the 9th the same day you sent it, the below happened ?

Let us all know when a new Lumia comes out will ya ? :wink:

dude, remember when Microsoft announced that they're buying Nokia? I wrote an email that day to elop and I got a response from him personally, not some assistant.

anon(5339110)

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do believe he read my email. It wasn't a "new" email I sent him. I actually sent a reply to him from an email he responded to last year concerning my 920. Elop does read his own email. There are numerous examples on this forum.

"Many were impressed he (Elop) answered 10 to 20 emails from customers each day.

"He is a nice guy. Everyone liked him. That's his strength," said one former Nokia employee who worked closely with Elop and asked not to be named. "He is very down-to-earth, he answers all of his email. His communication skills are very good, but he has got a sense for the dramatic.""

Savior or slayer? Either way, Nokia's Elop a contender for Microsoft chief | Reuters

https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+elop+responds+to+email
https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+elop+replied+to+email

Anyway...
This is my last post in the 810 forum. I'm moving up to a 925, and so away from this thread. Good luck all (or, almost all...).

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
"Many were impressed he (Elop) answered 10 to 20 emails from customers each day.

"He is a nice guy. Everyone liked him. That's his strength," said one former Nokia employee who worked closely with Elop and asked not to be named. "He is very down-to-earth, he answers all of his email. His communication skills are very good, but he has got a sense for the dramatic.""

Savior or slayer? Either way, Nokia's Elop a contender for Microsoft chief | Reuters

https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+elop+responds+to+email
https://www.google.com/search?q=stephen+elop+replied+to+email

Anyway...
This is my last post in the 810 forum. I'm moving up to a 925, and so away from this thread. Good luck all (or, almost all...).

Have fun with your 925, it is certainly nice to have more than 8gb of internal memory, and good job with the quote.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
ehmmm I deff got an update today for my 810 reminded me of when I updated my phone to Amber...at first I thought it was Black, but when after it restarted and I checked under extra+info it still comes out as Lumia Amber :/

has anyone else received this?

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
ehmmm I deff got an update today for my 810 reminded me of when I updated my phone to Amber...at first I thought it was Black, but when after it restarted and I checked under extra+info it still comes out as Lumia Amber :/

can u post a screenshot of the info?

SeannyFunco

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

I got the same thing this morning. It was an OS only update, no firmware. I Tweeted the info to Daniel this morning thinking he'd have some info on it but I never heard anything back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99