Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, you certainly think more of T-Mobile's "good intentions" than I do...

we shall see what happens. I haven't been tracking the situation with T-Mobile's HTC 8x, I assume they've been screwed out of GDR3/Black as well.

I am impressed that T-Mobile upped the data amounts of all their plans for free and I was hoping that AT&T would do the same thing, but they only upped one plan and not the rest.
im not trying to pass judgment yet on them because I have only been on the T-Mobile network for a year now so I have not much to say. if they don't pass 8.1 to the 810 or htc 8x then ill think T-Mobile as the network that never updates their windows phone

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Looked at T-Mobile's HTC 8x support page and of course GDR3 has not been released to the 8x. Just looking at the first thread it struck me very quickly how cheesily some of the T-Mobile support staff answer (or in reality don't answer at all) the question.

GDR3 for 8X?? | T-Mobile Support

I love how sneakymoose and felipefaccini call tmo-rick on his Feb 22, 2014 off topic post...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile has an incredibly long history of abandoning their Windows Phones... There is no doubt about that. The likelihood is that they will support their current Windows Phones and for a short time after they go EOL.

They may talk about removing pain points for their customers, however you are just a number to them nothing more. So while their prices are good and they've successfully introduced some very positive competition and worthwhile policies into the US's cellular market, they have a long way to go with their customer service practices. I harped on this a lot in the past, but a two year guarantee of updates was part one of my suggestions, and a real exchange of information with their customer was part two. So I really am impressed by HTC moving forward on a two year guarantee of updates for Android, Whether or not HTC was forced to do it by their poor standing at this time, it really doesn't matter; it's a good move for their customers. That's a policy that should be implemented by all carriers.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Looked at T-Mobile's HTC 8x support page and of course GDR3 has not been released to the 8x. Just looking at the first thread it struck me very quickly how cheesily some of the T-Mobile support staff answer (or in reality don't answer at all) the question.

GDR3 for 8X?? | T-Mobile Support

I love how sneakymoose and felipefaccini call tmo-rick on his Feb 22, 2014 off topic post...

im thinking they copy and past because well they don't have the answers :p

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile has an incredibly long history of abandoning their Windows Phones... There is no doubt about that. The likelihood is that they will support their current Windows Phones and for a short time after they go EOL.

They may talk about removing pain points for their customers, however you are just a number to them nothing more. So while their prices are good and they've successfully introduced some very positive competition and worthwhile policies into the US's cellular market, they have a long way to go with their customer service practices. I harped on this a lot in the past, but a two year guarantee of updates was part one of my suggestions, and a real exchange of information with their customer was part two. So I really am impressed by HTC moving forward on a two year guarantee of updates for Android, Whether or not HTC was forced to do it by their poor standing at this time, it really doesn't matter; it's a good move for their customers. That's a policy that should be implemented by all carriers.
I agree I wish more carriers would adopt this strategy that HTC adopted but then again circumstances could change and make a complete 360 go back on their word :/

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
So.... The rumor mill is now that Nokia will be doing a "Blue" firmware that will coincide with WP8.1.

Any bets on if T-Horrible will allow our beloved L810 to get Blue and WP8.1?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So.... The rumor mill is now that Nokia will be doing a "Blue" firmware that will coincide with WP8.1.

I have a bigger chance of winning the lotto and paying T-Mobile to push the update than waiting on T-Mobile to do it on their own account :p

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

After several twitter conversation with Nokia Care confirming a conversation (some blog) that Nokia had said in effect,
it was they (NOKIA) who abandoned the 810 after Amber and no more updates.
TM hasn't been so great but the reason that the 810 didn't get black was Nokia not TM.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
After several twitter conversation with Nokia Care confirming a conversation (some blog) that Nokia had said in effect,
TM hasn't been so great but the reason that the 810 didn't get black was Nokia not TM.

:/ bummer

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site

You are definitely not "The Dude". Way to much negativity. Hehehehehe.

Actually my research pointed to T-Mobile for blocking the updates. And sorry, no, I can't reveal my sources. I'm still trying to find out if T-Mobile might allow WP8.1 out for our 810's, but I'm hitting thicker walls this time.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Im not sure who it was that the 810 wasn't going to get the black update but all I know is that most people are leaning that the 810 won't get 8.1

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Im not sure who it was that the 810 wasn't going to get the black update but all I know is that most people are leaning that the 810 won't get 8.1

Oh, don't worry. It'll be made available to us... on the conditions that the Black firmware be installed. It'll be like the storage check beta app. "Sorry, but you need the 1308 update to run this app." At least I think it was the 1308 update.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Oh, don't worry. It'll be made available to us... on the conditions that the Black firmware be installed. It'll be like the storage check beta app. "Sorry, but you need the 1308 update to run this app." At least I think it was the 1308 update.

well the HTC and Samsung devices didn't need firmware update to get gdr2 and gdr3 or at least that is what I think

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You are definitely not "The Dude". Way to much negativity. Hehehehehe.

Actually my research pointed to T-Mobile for blocking the updates. And sorry, no, I can't reveal my sources. I'm still trying to find out if T-Mobile might allow WP8.1 out for our 810's, but I'm hitting thicker walls this time.

Why is reporting what NokiaCare on Twitter said negative ? at least they said so.... and you know it's complete BS when you get "I can't reveal my sources".
Like who cares and no one believes that crap -and would you get roughed up or maybe get a pair of cement shoes if you did ?

Do you work for the NY Times ? :winktongue: LMAO

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
If I was to bet who was responsible for the 810 not getting GDR 3 with Black OTA, I would definitely bet that it was T-Mobile. Isn't it also the case that most of the HTC 8x's have all been updated to GDR3 with the exception of T-MOBILE!!!

That's no accident....

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If I was to bet who was responsible for the 810 not getting GDR 3 with Black OTA, I would definitely bet that it was T-Mobile. Isn't it also the case that most of the HTC 8x's have all been updated to GDR3 with the exception of T-MOBILE!!!

That's no accident....
interesting ..... that the T-Mobile htc 8x didn't get GDR3. sure it could of been to cut costs and wait till 8.1 came out since its a bigger update than GDR3. that's just wishful thinking at this point because most of what T-Mobile actions has shown if their phones don't sell well, they will drop that phone and forget it was even there

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
empty promises.png

Here we have it. Straight from TMO Facebook. I doubt they have any clue on what's going on. But this is a start... according to these guys, we still have a supported and theoretically relevant device. I've partially given up on these guys since I kept getting blown off. Maybe you will have better luck if you bug em enough. I refuse to give up on this phone. I like it, and still believe it has plenty to offer me.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
"We do support the phone but no longer carry it in stores or online." That sounds like a response you'd get from a passive aggressive person.

Supporting the phone means making sure that T-Mobile and Nokia works together to release firmware and OS updates for the phone for a reasonable amount of time, and the 810 was dumped in an unreasonable hurry. Yea, #$%^#$^^& answers like that! They might as well say, "You bought the phone sucker, if you want support line our pockets and buy another phone. If you're lucky we won't dump that phone too. That is real #%^^ lucky, sucker"

A lot of you know my story with T-Mobile. I bought a T-Mobile HTC HD7 off of cowboom and brought to T-Mobile's prepaid. That phone ended up never receiving 7.8 from T-Mobile even though I flashed it via the cab update method and it worked great. Then I got the 810, and we know how it's been abandoned. Then I got the HTC 8x and it is in exactly the same situation that the 810 is in, abandoned for time being. I have little faith that either of those phones will ever get another OTA update from T-Mobile and I place that fault squarely on T-Mobile's shoulders. That's a ****ty way to treat your paying customers.

So now I am on AT&T with a 920. I've already received GDR3 and Black OTA and I expect to get 8.1 OTA as well (no doubt with a significant delay).

Last edited:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
and you know it's complete BS when you get "I can't reveal my sources".
Like who cares and no one believes that crap -and would you get roughed up or maybe get a pair of cement shoes if you did ?

Do you work for the NY Times ? :winktongue: LMAO
How would you like it if you told me something confidential about the company you work for, then I went public with it, saying Mr. Lebowski was my source. Then your boss tells you "Step into my office.", and you are walked out of the building without a job, and a possible lawsuit hanging over head for violating a NDA contract.

You wouldn't be very happy with me, would you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb