Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
How would you like it if you told me something confidential about the company you work for, then I went public with it, saying Mr. Lebowski was my source. Then your boss tells you "Step into my office.", and you are walked out of the building without a job, and a possible lawsuit hanging over head for violating a NDA contract.

You wouldn't be very happy with me, would you?

If this is such a horrible corporate secret... don't blurt it out at all. Considering the nature of our issues. It's kinda pathetic that so much secrecy is involved in this crap. It's a phone software update. Give us some transparency, and just tell us some damn news. Are we, or are we not getting any more fracking updates? This isn't going to tip the balance of power in the world to the US. The Lumia 810 (sorry tmo, Nokia) is not cutting edge hardware with corporate secrets that could boost us into the world spotlight. It just isn't.

So T-Mobile, Nokia. I challenge you to give me (and other 810 users) a solid answer. Emotional support doesn't count. I need software support here. Are we getting future updates, or not?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Lebowski stated that according to "several twitter conversation with Nokia Care confirming a conversation (some blog) that Nokia had said in effect,
it was they (NOKIA) who abandoned the 810 after Amber and no more updates." Note that he really doesn't back it up with any screen shots or links or anything. Then Guzzler states that per his research it's actually T-Mobile's responsibility. Lebowski then gives Guzzler grief for an unsubstantiated claim just like the one he did....

Personally, I tend towards believing Guzzler. As far as your answer about whether or not you're going to get further updates, I would bet that you're not going to get one... And I mean that in both senses, you will neither get information about another update, nor will you get the update itself. But I am not claiming insider knowledge, just my experience with T-Mobile....

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
How would you like it if you told me something confidential about the company you work for, then I went public with it, saying Mr. Lebowski was my source. Then your boss tells you "Step into my office.", and you are walked out of the building without a job, and a possible lawsuit hanging over head for violating a NDA contract.

You wouldn't be very happy with me, would you?

It's an easy thing to say (it's from confidential source) when you can't prove a thing and it's likely made up (whoever said it)
"This is the truth, but I can't tell you where I got this TRUTH so you'll just have to take my word for it, because..."
Nice fable. Next...:winktongue:

Last edited:

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Lebowski stated that according to "several twitter conversation with Nokia Care confirming a conversation (some blog) that Nokia had said in effect,
it was they (NOKIA) who abandoned the 810 after Amber and no more updates." Note that he really doesn't back it up with any screen shots or links or anything. Then Guzzler states that per his research it's actually T-Mobile's responsibility. Lebowski then gives Guzzler grief for an unsubstantiated claim just like the one he did....

Personally, I tend towards believing Guzzler. As far as your answer about whether or not you're going to get further updates, I would bet that you're not going to get one... And I mean that in both senses, you will neither get information about another update, nor will you get the update itself. But I am not claiming insider knowledge, just my experience with T-Mobile....

I'm not claiming to speak the absolute truth or claim that I can't "reveal my sources". He's claiming that in essence it's from a confidential inside source, but he can't reveal this so called source. I just read it in tweets by Nokia Care on Twitter and recalled what I read in some of their conversations. It was also posted online (not the tweets) that Nokia let the 810 give up the ghost, it was posted several times in this thread early this year. He's not even saying where he heard it, AND no one is asking for names.
It doesn't pass the smell test so I say NO MEAL ( apologies to Jay Leno)

Here is what was reported that Nokia said ( not a blog oops, my bad) :crying:,

Bad news for T-Mobile customers who own the Lumia 810, as Nokia recently confirmed it will not offer other major upgrades for the smartphone beyond the Lumia Amber.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/T-Mo...Receive-Nokia-Lumia-Black-Update-416025.shtml
The tweet(s) also back in mid January I'll look for, but I'm not spending a lifetime going back over hundreds of tweets by Nokia Care and those conversations that weren't a reply to a question I posted, but I'll give it a shot.

I haven't seen anything that supports "an inside source" or even actual quotes of the (unnamed) source let alone any hint of proof :wink:

Last edited:

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Today is a great day to say they will support the 810. (April Fools, ha!) Honestly I'm just gnashing my teeth and thrashing about. I was happy we got amber, and honestly I didn't expect much beyond that. I am of course, disappointed and so on and so forth, yadda yadda yadda.

Regardless of update status, I'll just hold on to this thing a bit longer, and experience what symbian users experienced. A slow death of their beloved devices. In a few years time, this forum, and all our posts will slip into the darkness un-noticed. Maybe in a few million years a new age of man will find our 810s scattered about the earth, silent monoliths of a time long gone. They'll worship it, and y'know... 2001 Space Odyssey references.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Today is a great day to say they will support the 810. (April Fools, ha!) Honestly I'm just gnashing my teeth and thrashing about. I was happy we got amber, and honestly I didn't expect much beyond that. I am of course, disappointed and so on and so forth, yadda yadda yadda.

Regardless of update status, I'll just hold on to this thing a bit longer, and experience what symbian users experienced. A slow death of their beloved devices. In a few years time, this forum, and all our posts will slip into the darkness un-noticed. Maybe in a few million years a new age of man will find our 810s scattered about the earth, silent monoliths of a time long gone. They'll worship it, and y'know... 2001 Space Odyssey references.

yikes Symbian users were loyal just like we are to the 810 minus to T-Mobile 😐

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
All hail the mighty Symbian! I held on to my N82 for five years before finally 'upgrading' to the 810. I'm not gonna give up on this phone that easily.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not claiming to speak the absolute truth or claim that I can't "reveal my sources". He's claiming that in essence it's from a confidential inside source, but he can't reveal this so called source. I just read it in tweets by Nokia Care on Twitter and recalled what I read in some of their conversations. It was also posted online (not the tweets) that Nokia let the 810 give up the ghost, it was posted several times in this thread early this year. He's not even saying where he heard it, AND no one is asking for names.
It doesn't pass the smell test so I say NO MEAL ( apologies to Jay Leno)

Here is what was reported that Nokia said ( not a blog oops, my bad) :crying:,

Bad news for T-Mobile customers who own the Lumia 810, as Nokia recently confirmed it will not offer other major upgrades for the smartphone beyond the Lumia Amber.
T-Mobile Lumia 810 Will Not Receive Nokia Lumia Black Update
The tweet(s) also back in mid January I'll look for, but I'm not spending a lifetime going back over hundreds of tweets by Nokia Care and those conversations that weren't a reply to a question I posted, but I'll give it a shot.

I haven't seen anything that supports "an inside source" or even actual quotes of the (unnamed) source let alone any hint of proof :wink:

Yes, I see the article. I have enough questions about the process of how updates are done, ie does the carrier contract with the OEM to support the phone, or is supporting the phone entirely on the OEM, so that I don't really know how to respond to that article. My gut feeling is that at the end of the day I am still looking at the abandonment of the phone as T-Mobile's responsibility, even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth.

P.S. by the way, you have no credit with me....

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

The 810 as tiny little monoliths like the one in "2001 A Space Odyssey" is one of the better and more imaginative references I've seen in a while...

congrats....

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I see the article. I have enough questions about the process of how updates are done, ie does the carrier contract with the OEM to support the phone, or is supporting the phone entirely on the OEM, so that I don't really know how to respond to that article. My gut feeling is that at the end of the day I am still looking at the abandonment of the phone as T-Mobile's responsibility, even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth.

P.S. by the way, you have no credit with me....

I'm not buying what you're selling so I don't need credit.
BTW I'm not making a BS claim that what I read ( you can read what I read above) was from an "inside source"
I could have pulled out that big lie ( if you look at other threads on this forum) that type of claim is universally dismissed as BS -except for a few gullible souls. :smile:

"even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth"
I have a bridge I want to sell, really I own it. :winktongue:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not buying what you're selling so I don't need credit.
BTW I'm not making a BS claim that what I read ( you can read what I read above) was from an "inside source"
I could have pulled out that big lie ( if you look at other threads on this forum) that type of claim is universally dismissed as BS -except for a few gullible souls. :smile:

"even if the news is coming out of Nokia's mouth"
I have a bridge I want to sell, really I own it. :winktongue:

Again, there is little in your opinion and decisions that carry weight with me, that "credit" is not selling something to you, it's faith in your opinion. So I pretty much discount your opinion right out of the gate. My original point about how all HTC 8x's have been updated to GDR3 with the exception of T-Mobile still stands. My overall impression is still whether or not you link to a news story where Nokia is stating that the 810 will not get Black does not conclusively mean that Nokia is responsible for that failure. The 810 is a carrier exclusive, and I expect that if T-Mobile wanted to support it they would have worked it out with Nokia to support it. My impression remains that T-Mobile is responsible for the lack of support and I continue to believe Guzzler, NDA or not, that his research shows T-Mobile as responsible. It simply makes sense.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I could care less if you like my opinion, the statement Nokia made in that link is more credible than "an inside source" with no collaboration.
And what research ? -he didn't even provide a quote.
A ____ is born every minute...apparently. :smile:

Peace-

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Moron, the article is really just based upon the chart of update availability that Nokia has posted. Just because Nokia has Black listed on the site as unavailable does not mean they are responsible for that decision. That's like blaming the news agencies for reporting the news about an event or "shooting the messenger".

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Just received the personal message from Lewbowski below.

"You want to be careful with personal attacks, that is worth a month ban, if you disagree or if you want to infer with a ______, fine, but name calling one pm to a mod and you're on vacation. Delete your name calling or I'm calling Dad It's up to you."

Given your original post "A fool is born every minute...", I'd say I am responding in kind.

You know I've been wondering why you're on this thread period. I've owned an 810, the T-Mobile HTC 8x and a T-Mobile HTC HD7 and have been posting on this thread since last April with my thoughts and feelings about the 810, T-Mobile's support style etc. I was thinking of reviewing your posts on this thread to see if you even have a 810 or have ever had one. You have no credit with me because your history on this thread has been one of snark. Do you think that you will withstand review of your posts?

Call "Dad" if you wish....

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So far I see your first post is in January of this year. You post on 1/9 "who is John Legere?" People need to tell you that he's the CEO of T-Mobile. So again, why are you here and why should we take your pronouncements as meaning anything in particular?

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, it looks like the 810 is not getting 8.1. Wow, what a surprise. After seeing the phones announced today, I wanted to drop the Note 3 but nevermind.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte