Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
What I was hoping is that they were just skipping GDR3 and going straight to 8.1. I understand it didn't sell well but I figured maybe as a result they just wouldn't update it as frequently. But still update it.

You get what I mean? Instead of doing these little gdr updates they would just do major OS updates since they include previous patches too..

that's what I was thinking and said a while back but at this point in time its wishful thinking

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Amber was suspended by MS in late September and re released to TM in October ( that last update wasn't a "new update" but a minor fix of Amber ) but it was first issued OTA August 15. BTW my phone when I connect to NSU for Retail lists 3043.0000.1326.0017 as it's current Firmware ( I have OS Update3 tho' ) and I got Amber on August 4 via a torrent that was first (mistakenly?) leaked by NSU for Retail and I didn't then again get it OTA. The firmware number hasn't changed since that "mistaken" leak by NSU.

Stop, and sit!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
What I was hoping is that they were just skipping GDR3 and going straight to 8.1. I understand it didn't sell well but I figured maybe as a result they just wouldn't update it as frequently. But still update it.

You get what I mean? Instead of doing these little gdr updates they would just do major OS updates since they include previous patches too..

I'm happy to eat crow if that happens, but I think the day that t-mo updates the 810 OTA is the same day, Legere comes on stage saying he uses a BB10 device as his personal phone.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

You've seen the last TM/Nokia update for the 810 and that was Amber/GDR2 and this isn't from some "I can't mention my confidential inside source "
BS is to prevalent to use that line.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
though i cant help but want the firmware update. sure the 810 will still work but i still would like the firmware updates

Like i said before, firmware barely does anything for the 810 anyways. Currently, most features attributed to "Black" (including those on Nokia's firmware features page) are, in all actuality, just part of app updates to apps like glance and extras+info that merely require GDR3. I already have:

• Glance Notifications & Night Mode
• Nokia Camera (Using Beta ATM)
• Nokia Storyteller

Other than that, only Beamer is unsupported (due to firmware changes allowing for screen sharing). As you see, Black doesn't do much for a device like the 810, other than optimizations & bug fixes.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Like i said before, firmware barely does anything for the 810 anyways. Currently, most features attributed to "Black" (including those on Nokia's firmware features page) are, in all actuality, just part of app updates to apps like glance and extras+info that merely require GDR3. I already have:

• Glance Notifications & Night Mode
• Nokia Camera (Using Beta ATM)
• Nokia Storyteller

Other than that, only Beamer is unsupported (due to firmware changes allowing for screen sharing). As you see, Black doesn't do much for a device like the 810, other than optimizations & bug fixes.

we'll if you didn't notice, after the AMber update, photo captures got worse... that was significantly noticeable.. that is why, for me a firmware upgrade is very important. noticed almost all firmware upgrade has "improve camera" feature? not only camera update but, some apps and OS features "may" get firmware dependent... hope im wrong... still hoping for that firmware update..

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
we'll if you didn't notice, after the AMber update, photo captures got worse... that was significantly noticeable.. that is why, for me a firmware upgrade is very important. noticed almost all firmware upgrade has "improve camera" feature? not only camera update but, some apps and OS features "may" get firmware dependent... hope im wrong... still hoping for that firmware update..

True, true. Though using the Nokia Camera app does improve things considerably, imo.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I was just going through Stephen Elop's keynote from Build 2014, here's a direct quote

'We will bring Windows Phone 8.1 to all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices offered in an over-the-air update coming this summer. That means people like you will immediately get access to that and have that on all of the existing devices, and your customers will have that as well.'

Hmm, interesting, at least I thought so. Don't want to make the folks out there who are not willing to do the Developer Preview hopeful, but it WAS an odd thing to say.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I was just going through Stephen Elop's keynote from Build 2014, here's a direct quote

'We will bring Windows Phone 8.1 to all Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices offered in an over-the-air update coming this summer. That means people like you will immediately get access to that and have that on all of the existing devices, and your customers will have that as well.'

Hmm, interesting, at least I thought so. Don't want to make the folks out there who are not willing to do the Developer Preview hopeful, but it WAS an odd thing to say.

It wasn't odd. He said the truth - OTA via carrier is the way WP8 works. Which means that it is in line with what MSFT has on their website. Which means since the 810 is a carrier variant made specifically for t-mobile, all updates are done with since t-mo announced they won't do it.

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Anyone installing 8.1 today? I am..now :D

I'm at 34% on the Almost Done stage. So excited!

Edit: Apparently that was just the 1st update. The last one for 8.1 is the 630.4 MB one, and I had to free up space for that (how nice will it be to install apps on my sd card????).

Last edited:

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Let me know how the update goes on your 810's. I'm on the Megabus right now and if some of you have taken it, you know how their on board wifi is pretty much non-existent. I'm gonna update as soon as I get a reliable wifi (at a stop or road).

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Took about 10-15 minutes to d/l and install the 1st update. The second, and final update, is nearly an hour in and I'm at the 13th of 19 steps of the 'Migrating your Data" phase.

Edit: Finally finished, about 70 minutes. So cool...

Last edited:

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Done..loving the apps to sd... :D

Just installed temple run 2 on the sd and ran it

There are a bunch of great additions with this update, but that has got to be the number one feature for us 810 users. I'm currently moving almost all of my apps to the sd card as I type. It's so nice to see over 2 GB of free space on the phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12