Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I too left T-Mobile a few months ago and went back to AT&T. The 920 worked fine on T-Mo in LA with the refarmed 1900 band. I can just imagine what will happen with the 521 and the 925 after Cyan.But then again now with them receiving the 635, the 521 might become the next victim of EOL

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, the blame falls more on T-Mobile. They gave the 810 the EOL treatment after a few months of being out in the market. What came next was the 521, which is inferior to the 810, and then soon after the 925, which is superior. They decided to support those phones and leave the 810 in the dust. In this case T-Mobile screwed up. Here's why I know it's not Nokia aka Microsoft's fault... Both the 820 (AT&T) and the 822 (VZW) are almost the same phone as the 810 with the exception of LTE supposedly. Both the 820 and 822 are slated to get 8.1 Cyan in the near future. SO in this case it's not MS or Nokia's fault. This one falls solely on T-Mobile. If people can install the WP Developers Preview on the 810 and work with little to no problems, then that there is proof enough to go after T-Mobile. I would have done it myself but I ended up getting an unlocked 920 and never looked back.

1. Did you read what I said just a few comments above you?

2. The 810 is actually more varying in hardware than the 820 and 822. For instance, support for the 1700MHz frequency, combined screen tech from both the 820 & 822 (the 820 has a polarization filter while the 822 is Corning Gorilla Glass 2), uses a different Bluetooth module (based on BT3.0 rather than BT4.0), and likely other underlining changes that are harder to notice (most of above can be ascertained by comparing the spec sheet of all three devices.). For instance, the 521 has an additional sensor on the back of the device, that when compared to the 520, the 520 does not have one (view this thread post for more). As such, it is possible that there is a fundamental difference in the underlying hardware that makes this phone different enough that one can't simply 'tweak n go' the firmware for the 810.

3. The blame can be anywhere from T-Mobile refusing to allot resources to test the firmware to Nokia refusing to allot time and resources without an incentive to do so from T-Mobile, to the other, very possible reasons I listed above. We have no solid proof of blame for either party. All we have is a couple of varying customer service rep responses with questionable reliability (I'm sorry, but as Walmart Family Mobile is an MVNO powered by T-Mobile, I highly doubt they would have more info than T-Mobile themselves, especially when it comes to a service rep.), and the fact that the device is EOL (due to poor sales, most likely), meaning neither party is required to provide updates of any kind to the device.

Honestly, this thread should be closed, EXCEPT for the fact that it would become of use in the case that any headway is made on the issue, or in the case that it actually receives a new firmware update.

I couldn't care less about firmware. In fact, Cyan removes bar code scanning, and the Nokia System apps bring 90% of the new features as long as you have the latest OS, firmware or not, so to it I say good riddance.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
So um I'm going to say it ....the 810 was the better device out of the 3 >.> yet it was the first one to be dropped

Sales. The 810 was the highest cost out of it and the two 82x models, and not enough customers' were buying it over other TMobile devices. The 521 was a runaway success, which is why it avoided the same fate, and the 925 did well enough that ATT felt they need it.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't care less about firmware. In fact, Cyan removes bar code scanning, and the Nokia System apps bring 90% of the new features as long as you have the latest OS, firmware or not, so to it I say good riddance.

It isn't Cyan that removes bar code scanner. It's the latest update that takes it away :'(

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
It isn't Cyan that removes bar code scanner. It's the latest update that takes it away :'(

Nope. The Preview currently, before today, pushed the same version of 8.1 that's pushed along side Cyan (the Preview pushes not only Pre-release, but also RTM and General Availability updates), and I still had it. I'm installing GDR1, as it was pushed today via the preview, and will let you know if it is still there.

It is the combination of Cyan and the latest version that removes it, as far as I've seen on my device.

As of GDR1, my phone no longer contains additional vision search options.

My point still stands, Bing Vision aside, that most System apps bring the new features sans-firmware, so there's very little use for new firmware unless you own a newer, high-end Lumia model.

Side Note: Man this site update screwed up the text input. Strikethrough don't work. Horizontal Dividers don't work (the line you see above this is a bunch of underscores { _ })...

Last edited:

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on the 1520, this is my last attempt with Windows. After little support for my HD2, HD7, and the 810, I don't trust t mobile with Microsoft phones.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Nope. The Preview currently, before today, pushed the same version of 8.1 that's pushed along side Cyan (the Preview pushes not only Pre-release, but also RTM and General Availability updates), and I still had it. I'm installing GDR1, as it was pushed today via the preview, and will let you know if it is still there.

It is the combination of Cyan and the latest version that removes it, as far as I've seen on my device.

As of GDR1, my phone no longer contains additional vision search options.

My point still stands, Bing Vision aside, that most System apps bring the new features sans-firmware, so there's very little use for new firmware unless you own a newer, high-end Lumia model.
With my Lumia 810, running Amber firmware (3043.0000.1326.0017), with WP8.1U1 (8.10.14147.180) Bing vision will only scan QR codes now :(

Which sucks for me, because I used the bar code scanning quite a bit for price comparisons. Go to store, find what I needed, scan the barcode, find the lowest price and then ask for price match.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on the 1520, this is my last attempt with Windows. After little support for my HD2, HD7, and the 810, I don't trust t mobile with Microsoft phones.

Hey Dr_8820, CONGRATS on your new 1520!!! Given you're fine with the size it should be a great phone. I'd like to have one if they shrunk it down to the size of an Icon/930 or so. CONGRATS, it's nice to see you in the land of WP again and I hope your experience is a good one.

Yea, as far as T-Mobile and WP devices I absolutely agree which is why I tend towards pointing the finger (whichever finger I feel like at the time) towards T-Mobile.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks bro! I was going to see what the 1525 had, but after reviewing my history with TMo bile and Microsoft, I decided to go in another direction. We'll see if I get burned. ..

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

They seem to do well with the 521, but i agree that their track record isn't the best.

Commander Data

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello amazing WP Central peeps. I know I am late to the game, but I want to update my Mom's 810 to DP... can someone please seed the Amber update for a bit so I can get her past that hump? Unless there is another way I don't know about... It would be much appreciated!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello amazing WP Central peeps. I know I am late to the game, but I want to update my Mom's 810 to DP... can someone please seed the Amber update for a bit so I can get her past that hump? Unless there is another way I don't know about... It would be much appreciated!

Couldn't you go to setting > phone update ? Unless tmobile stopped that update too ._.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to get the DP, or need help installing it. ..?

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

I doubt if TMO took Amber off of their update repository, but then again, with TMO, ya just never no. Go to Settings and Update, do so. After that, enroll in Developer Preview from your PC, install the DP app on the 810, then hit update again. Have your phone plugged in and be prepared for four or five updates to be installed, one at a time. Updates TMO couldn't bother us 810 users with.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I doubt if TMO took Amber off of their update repository, but then again, with TMO, ya just never no. Go to Settings and Update, do so. After that, enroll in Developer Preview from your PC, install the DP app on the 810, then hit update again. Have your phone plugged in and be prepared for four or five updates to be installed, one at a time. Updates TMO couldn't bother us 810 users with.

Once more, a friendly reminder that the developer account registration is not necessary. Merely unlocking the phone with the registration tool from either Visual Studio 2013 (RC Update 2 or higher) for Windows or the Windows Phone Lite SDK is enough. After that, it's just an app away from joining the preview.

Also, I'm pretty sure amber is still available, but I may be wrong. Since updates actually reside on Microsoft's servers, not T-Mobile's, and since its been carrier approved, you should be able to update as long as Microsoft doesn't purge the update from their server (and I doubt they would. No reason too.).

Jeff Williams9

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I cannot get my 810 to Amber with OTA. Looks like they pulled the update. I am going to brave the TMobile store early one morning and see if they can get an update for Amber pushed to me. If not I will have to find a way to flash it. I am assuming if I use the Nokia Software Recovery tool it won't get me to Amber. Nokia/MS and TMobile tech support are totally useless..

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I cannot get my 810 to Amber with OTA. Looks like they pulled the update. I am going to brave the TMobile store early one morning and see if they can get an update for Amber pushed to me. If not I will have to find a way to flash it. I am assuming if I use the Nokia Software Recovery* tool it won't get me to Amber. Nokia/MS and TMobile tech support are totally useless..
Probably the only way you'll get it is if someone saved it as a torrent/file.
What is the firmware version number I might have it.
What happens when you connect to NSU aka Nokia Software Updater for Retail ? (not NSR*)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs