#810 Users Want "No Other"...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Keep them coming guys! Perhaps we can touch base with Daniel to see if their sources can find out if 810 users will get the GRD2 update. Maybe MSFT is keeping quiet until BUILD 2013, but folks should bookmark this thread and hammer T-Mobile if they don't come out with support for the 810!

timothyday

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I was up to 4.5GB of "Other" and unable to receive e-mails due to the lack of space available on the phone.
I bit the bullet and did a hard reset.
While WP8 got the "Other" issue extremely wrong, they got the hard reset working just fine! I was re-booted and restored from their automatic backup in a few mins, it also re-installed all my apps.

Though it did not turn my alarms back on, so I over-slept this morning.

The issue is a huge bummer, but I don't see it getting any better. Don't be afraid of the "Settings > About > reset your phone"

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday I was up to 4.5GB of "Other" and unable to receive e-mails due to the lack of space available on the phone.
I bit the bullet and did a hard reset.
While WP8 got the "Other" issue extremely wrong, they got the hard reset working just fine! I was re-booted and restored from their automatic backup in a few mins, it also re-installed all my apps.

Though it did not turn my alarms back on, so I over-slept this morning.

The issue is a huge bummer, but I don't see it getting any better. Don't be afraid of the "Settings > About > reset your phone"

We could have used your signature on the petition. Don't forget to snap a picture when your "Other" gets out of control before you reset it.

We shouldn't have to reset the phone to use it. Makes no sense.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
We could have used your signature on the petition. Don't forget to snap a picture when your "Other" gets out of control before you reset it.

We shouldn't have to reset the phone to use it. Makes no sense.

I cannot agree more. We should not need to reset the phone every few months just to be able to use typical features. Most of us have very little Music or Picture use on the internal memory, it's all about pretty much standard applications, but mostly about OTHER bloat.

frageelay

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Colorado Springs, got the 810 in April (what a drag they dumped it soon after) and paid for it up front. Other is more than 4GB.

I'm not up for the constant reset game. After I beat a game I'm almost finished I'm going to sell it and get an 820. I got an unlock code from T-Mobile for the 810. I'll buy the 820 outright and have it unlocked. This 810 and TMO have really upset me. Personally I've never had an issue with TMO as I've been with them for many years. This, however, is ridiculous. I'm through buying phones from them. It blows chunks that they killed the 810 after five months and won't update it. Lesson learned.

wp_ss_20130513_0001.jpg

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so I did a bit of an experiment to figure out how the 'other' storage was 'clearing' itself... or wasn't cleaning itself... whatever the case was and found something really interesting... The first image was done mid-day and showed 644MB left in internal storage - I then power cycled the phone (2 minutes later checked the system again) and was up to 965MB - just from the power cycle.

The third cycle was after I was home and popped the device on the charger for a few and power cycled it again... Sure enough, I picked up another 300MB for a grand total of 1.26GB of open space. I didn't shoot the deeper screen shot, but it was the 'other' memory amount that was changing. A few simple power cycles doubled my free space.

wp_ss_20130613_0001.pngwp_ss_20130613_0002.pngwp_ss_20130613_0003.png

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't a "great" thing as far as the amount of storage space being cleared, but it is at least showing that space is cleared on a power cycle. I'd be interested to see how many people get the same results on a few power cycles them selves.

Also, not to start a whole new issue, but anyone notice the % of battery drop between my 12:17 and 12:19 screen shots? It took almost 8% of the battery when I reset the device - so is that bad power management? a poor indicator? or just plain buggy software? Just wondering...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I did a bit of an experiment to figure out how the 'other' storage was 'clearing' itself... or wasn't cleaning itself... whatever the case was and found something really interesting... The first image was done mid-day and showed 644MB left in internal storage - I then power cycled the phone (2 minutes later checked the system again) and was up to 965MB - just from the power cycle.

The third cycle was after I was home and popped the device on the charger for a few and power cycled it again... Sure enough, I picked up another 300MB for a grand total of 1.26GB of open space. I didn't shoot the deeper screen shot, but it was the 'other' memory amount that was changing. A few simple power cycles doubled my free space.

View attachment 36706View attachment 36707View attachment 36708

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't a "great" thing as far as the amount of storage space being cleared, but it is at least showing that space is cleared on a power cycle. I'd be interested to see how many people get the same results on a few power cycles them selves.

Also, not to start a whole new issue, but anyone notice the % of battery drop between my 12:17 and 12:19 screen shots? It took almost 8% of the battery when I reset the device - so is that bad power management? a poor indicator? or just plain buggy software? Just wondering...

That's something that always seems to happen when you reset your WP. Back in April, my 810 froze thanks to Words with Friends. I couldn't manage a soft reset because the phone got stuck on the "Nokia" screen, so I did a battery pull. When the phone went back on, it dropped from 100% to 94%. Same thing with my Rogers 920. I had to reboot once when it froze and it dropped around 6%. Strange, considering whenever I rebooted my iPhone, it always GAINED a percent or two of battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos