Software&Firmware Updates 521-GDR3/Black

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates for 521 coming Soon

I flashed it. Curious if anything else came with the update. Nope. Just Wifi calling. And the stupid backup didn't complete at 97% due to being on 2G (cant friggin use wifi during setup!) so I have missing apps. I got most of them, but some are missing and the windowsphone.com site is being faulty in listing purchased apps (Market Refresh appears like 20 times).

Also, contacts didn't sync right :(

Anyhoo, I have wifi calling now. seems ok, though it failed earlier on the park wifi (but then again, it was only getting .6Mbps according to the speedtest.net app)

Also, some of the system apps are outdated &/or missing in this firmware version. Just one or two (had to manually install drive. The icon took me to the marketplace)

Most everything seems fixable using sync. But it wasn't worth the reset.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Did you get it OTA?

No. as I said, I "flashed" it. used Nokia care suite (phone kept rebooting at the T-Mobile the first time, and I had used Nokia Software Updater). This update actually will come in 2 days but I was curious. Last time I do that.

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site

If I pass on this update for wi-fi calling because I don't really need it and do not want to go through the reset hassle, will it effect any future firmware updates and their ability to improve my device?

...And you probably answered this aleady and I apologize if you did, but is this just a wi-fi calling update or are there other features/improvements in the update too?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

If I pass on this update for wi-fi calling because I don't really need it and do not want to go through the reset hassle, will it effect any future firmware updates and their ability to improve my device?

...And you probably answered this aleady and I apologize if you did, but is this just a wi-fi calling update or are there other features/improvements in the update too?

You will have to update to this to get future updates. Microsoft's update system installs updates up to the latest version. So, if you were to, hypothetically, skip this update, when, say, Windows Phone GDR2 and Nokia's "Amber" update come out, it would install this update, along with every firmware and OS update up to Windows Phone GDR2 and "Amber".

Don't worry though, you wont have to reset after update. That's only if you want to install wifi calling (which from the looks of it, the reset is because T-Mobile hasn't put the app in the Windows Store for wifi calling, so you have to reset the phone to re-install all stock applications, including the newly added WiFi calling app. Stupid, I know. If there is any other reason, I wish T-Mobile would explain.)

And from what I can tell, there is nothing else but wifi calling. Though it is a tad zippier (just a tad), but that may be because the "other memory" was cleared along with temp files after reset, and now my other memory and temp memory equal (after app installation and web browsing) less then half of what they were originally.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I think the OS didn't install right. The icons for LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook are missing in the Add Accounts menu in Email+Accounts. Either that or that's a result of that 2G partially failed Backup Restore (ugh)

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

...Thanks for answering my questions.

No problem. And again, don't fear this update. Any problems I may have could be result of flashing instead of waiting till tomorrow (when the update rolls out). This wont harm your stuff and reset is optional.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for being the guiena pig and daring to flash your phone, I will wait on the OTA release tonight or tommorrow. Luckly I am off from work for the next 2 days, could not have timed it better.

cerebasan

May 13, 2013
Visit site

So anyone seen the update yet? Also, I'm new to windows phone. Do you have to be on wifi to download it?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Has not rolled out OTA yet, been checking on and off all morning..Wifi is needed

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Already Installed It, migrated data, and firmware updated. It did not erase any of my data or did it require a resetup everything that I had installed kept in place.

Old Version was 1030.6409.1311.0011

Version that get's installed is 1030.6409.1316.0016,

[url]http://s1.bild.me/bilder/060112/thumb_8232478wp_ss_20130520_0004.jpg[/URL]

do not see wifi calling anywhere ?

It didn't show up on mine until I did a reset on my phone. Now the wifi calling app shows up. Have not tested it yet, since my phone is now in the process of re-downloading all of the apps I had previously installed. I will test it shortly and report back.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Already Installed It, migrated data, and firmware updated. It did not erase any of my data or did it require a resetup everything that I had installed kept in place.

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site

[url]http://s1.bild.me/bilder/060112/thumb_8232478wp_ss_20130520_0004.jpg[/URL]

It didn't show up on mine until I did a reset on my phone. Now the wifi calling app shows up. Have not tested it yet, since my phone is now in the process of re-downloading all of the apps I had previously installed. I will test it shortly and report back.

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Wifi calling works fine. Have had 3 outgoing and 4 incoming calls over wifi calling and quality is very good.
Again, had to reset my phone to get it to show up.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates released 521 May 20th

peformed reset that did not take long, now I have wifi app, now have to reinstall all my apps and update all of those Nokia Apps

Internet Sharing still working..phew

Anybody notice that colors are little more vibrant

tyoung6013

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates released 521 May 20th

thanks for all the updates. I installed upgrade, restarted phone, etc., but don't see the wifi calling option. How do you activate it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077