Software&Firmware Updates 521-GDR3/Black

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: New Firmware Updates released 521

The AT&T Lumia 520 with GDR2 and Amber is selling for $99! Will the 521 get the same updates from T-Mobile?

All Windows Phones will (as far as my knowledge goes) get GDR2, seeing as microsoft provides 18mo.(?) support for each os, as well as each major revision. However, when it is released to ones device may depend on the carrier. Some have estimated that GDR2 will arrive in august, and seeing that firmwares usually arrive on Care Suite external just a short month or two before updates roll out (as far as my knowledge goes), it would appear that that estimate is correct. However, it is odd that it was shortly removed from Care Suite External servers, perhaps suggesting either A: its still being privately tested, B: perhaps a bug was found that they didnt want to go noticed, or C: they wish for GDR2 to be released along with other devices and do not wish for users to install the software ahead of time.

I am actually excited about GDR2, and cant wait for the update.

Also, anyone notice that both Care Suite and NSU (Nokia Software Updater) Retail have updates released in late july? I didnt notice anything with the NSU update, but my internet was too slow and the update was too big for Care Suite.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Also, anyone notice that both Care Suite and NSU (Nokia Software Updater) Retail have updates released in late july? I didnt notice anything with the NSU update, but my internet was too slow and the update was too big for Care Suite.

Care Suite I did not update, if I update I will lose the ability to check with that no External Logon. NSU I did update but did not notice anything new.has well. NO GDR2/Amber has of yet.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Care Suite I did not update, if I update I will lose the ability to check with that no External Logon. NSU I did update but did not notice anything new.has well. NO GDR2/Amber has of yet.

The fact that its working for you without update baffles me. Mine stopped working till i updated and proceeded to use care suite external.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

My Care Suite is 3.0.0 (2012.5.4) , the new version is 2013.20.5. Can you login with Care External with that version if so then I will upgrade once after the 8 of Aug. Data speed is limited to 2g for internet sharing. NSU is 3.0.8 and pretty sure the last update was automatic update.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

My Care Suite is 3.0.0 (2012.5.4) , the new version is 2013.20.5. Can you login with Care External with that version if so then I will upgrade once after the 8 of Aug. Data speed is limited to 2g for internet sharing. NSU is 3.0.8 and pretty sure the last update was automatic update.

Im confused..... Care Suite used to not require login. Then, it failed to let users use it from my understanding, giving network errors. The newer version, at the time, brought the "External Server", and required login to anything else but External.

This is how i understood the series of events with Care Suite, though i may of misread something. I do know I couldnt even get 3.0 to work when i installed it.

Also, i have version 5.0 2013.13.4(.4). I cant get the new version (2013.20.5) due to my internet being hickvile broadband slower than 75% of America. But i get access to Care suite external just fine.

However, i seriously doubt you would lose access to care suite external. But dont quote me on that, since i have no proof.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Im confused..... Care Suite used to not require login. Then, it failed to let users use it from my understanding, giving network errors. The newer version, at the time, brought the "External Server", and required login to anything else but External.

This is how i understood the series of events with Care Suite, though i may of misread something. I do know I couldnt even get 3.0 to work when i installed it.

No you are not confused, that is correct at one point users where blocked, you had to have a care suite logon to be able to download from Nokia Servers with care suite has they blocked it. Then everybody complained and they fixed it and added external logon for people like us who want access to rom's. I know the thread is somewhere on wpcentral about it was only a few months ago when that happened.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

No you are not confused, that is correct at one point users where blocked, you had to have a care suite logon to be able to download from Nokia Servers with care suite has they blocked it. Then everybody complained and they fixed it and added external logon for people like us who want access to rom's. I know the thread is somewhere on wpcentral about it was only a few months ago when that happened.

So are you saying the old version (to which kept denying me access) has access to the Care Suite Internal server reinstated? Because I couldnt get it (3.0) to work when i tried to get care suite back when the wifi calling update was available on it. And 5.0 (2013.13.4.4) requires login credentials for the internal server, same as NSU. The external server is able to be used without credentials, again, same as NSU.

(Sidenote: I've been pondering that maybe the external server, in some twisted way, is what microsoft was talking about when they mentioned an "enthusiasts program" for getting updates early, seeing as the external server seems to get updated firmwares a month or two before mass release.)

Back to main topic, im curious as to why the latest firmware was removed from the external servers?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Care Suite Internal server reinstated? Because I couldnt get it (3.0) to work when i tried to get care suite back when the wifi calling update was available on it. And 5.0 (2013.13.4.4) requires login credentials for the internal server, same as NSU. The external server is able to be used without credentials, again, same as NSU.

(Sidenote: I've been pondering that maybe the external server, in some twisted way, is what microsoft was talking about when they mentioned an "enthusiasts program" for getting updates early, seeing as the external server seems to get updated firmwares a month or two before mass release.)

Back to main topic, im curious as to why the latest firmware was removed from the external servers?

Here is the thread on when lockout happened. Care Suite Internal needs password still to use, but not external.

enthusiasts program yeah I will agree that is how MS/Nokia is handling that with access to firmware via NCS/NSU.

Perhaps they found a problem with that update, they being T-Mobile that is. And decided to have Nokia pull it from their servers. Or perhaps it was a fluke and was not supposed to show up yet. Only Nokia / T-Mobile know for sure.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

nokia might have pulled the new update due to the problems with the HTC 8X? Maybe they wanted to double check and make sure our phones don't get bricked too. Like you though, I check everyday. :p

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Firmware Update on Nokia Servers this morning, No Wifi or high speed hspa right now, in a few days I should be able to grab it. This is same version it looks like that I had posted a few weeks ago look like, hopefully GDR2/Amber.

Version: 3046.0000.1328.2024

effortless#AC

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I have 30 min left on my download, I'll let you guys know how it goes and what it is.

Update:

Took longer than expected, using laptop, the update kept failing. I had to switch to desktop and re-download the update. It went smoothly the second time.

I chose to wipe everything and then chose the option to restore my phone from the prompt after reboot. It uses the Microsoft server backup that your phone made. It then prompts you to enter passwords for facebook, google, msn etc to restore your old services. Finally a forced reboot.

Nice little updates here and there.

Lumia Amber update/OS 8.0.10328.78

Update 2:

Double tap to wake doesn't seem to be included on the 521. Was looking forward to that feature. :(

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Update:

Nice little updates here and there.

Lumia Amber update/OS 8.0.10328.78

Update 2:

Double tap to wake doesn't seem to be included on the 521. Was looking forward to that feature. :(

Wont be until this weekend before my 4g speed is at full, I go over my 2.5 gb limit so throttled to 5-20kb over ICS to pc. May just go to friends house and install ncs on their pc and use their wifi to update my phone with.

What about under display settings do you have color profile?

FM Radio present under music.

Double tap I have not read anything about that feature coming to 52X series. But I could be mistaken.

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

Nokia took it down. Back down to 1316. Can you put a mirror up, effortless?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

GDR2/Amber update pulled for 521 once again. If anybody managed to grab it with NCS/NSU could they possibily reupload for those that want it.

effortless#AC

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I'll see if I can upload it.

Color profile, FM radio, data sense, updated "find my phone", flip to silence etc are all there.

Update:

I'm uploading the file now, it will take a little over an hour... I'll post the link when I'm done. ----> Download HERE

Use 7-zip to unzip the file to * "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products".

*Note: That location is hidden, so make sure you enable "Hidden Items" in Windows Explorer.

(I've compressed "rm-917.7z" to 519MB, unzipped, rm-917 folder should be 1.28 GB)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss