Software&Firmware Updates 521-GDR3/Black

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates released 521 May 20th

but don't see the wifi calling option. How do you activate it?

reset your phone from setting->about - You will lose all your data and apps that you had installed and it will reset it like new only way to get wifi calling app..

tyoung6013

May 20, 2013
Visit site

thanks - I reset the phone and got the app - but t-mobile said they need to "provision" my sim card. going through that right now. they're not making it easy...

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site

The wifi calling does not give you unlimited calling, as far as I know. So, if you are looking to use the wifi calling as "free minutes", it will not save you on your limited plan.
What wifi calling does, is give you connection as long as you have wifi access.
Case in point, we took a vacation to the mountains late last year and had no phone service in our particular area. I switched on wifi calling, as our cabin had wifi service) on my android phone and was back in business. It works similar to the old tmobile @home and sprint Airave. You still use minutes, but have access anywhere you have a hotspot.
I have used it in the past with limited minutes (1500/min per month) and it counted against my minutes used. If this has changed, someone please correct me.

kalteah

May 19, 2013
Visit site

The wifi calling does not give you unlimited calling, as far as I know. So, if you are looking to use the wifi calling as "free minutes", it will not save you on your limited plan.
What wifi calling does, is give you connection as long as you have wifi access.
Case in point, we took a vacation to the mountains late last year and had no phone service in our particular area. I switched on wifi calling, as our cabin had wifi service) on my android phone and was back in business. It works similar to the old tmobile @home and sprint Airave. You still use minutes, but have access anywhere you have a hotspot.
I have used it in the past with limited minutes (1500/min per month) and it counted against my minutes used. If this has changed, someone please correct me.

No, you are correct. It's listed in the FAQ section within the WiFi Calling app.
wp_ss_20130520_0002.jpg

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Anybody else notice higher battery drain, since firmware update espcially when wifi is turned on. Before I could go all day now it is only a few hours before I having to recharge. Had to recharge at least twice yesterday. I thought it was bad update, so I reflashed my phone with Nokia Software Update tool. But that did not make a difference.

essinger

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes, WiFi calling works on that plan, but it counts against your total monthly allotment of 100 minutes.

Thanks. If T-MO is going to charge me 10 cents/minute to use their WiFi calling app, then I might as well just use Skype and only get charge 2.3 cents/minute.

Jtress

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Anybody else notice higher battery drain, since firmware update espcially when wifi is turned on. Before I could go all day now it is only a few hours before I having to recharge. Had to recharge at least twice yesterday. I thought it was bad update, so I reflashed my phone with Nokia Software Update tool. But that did not make a difference.

Working fine here. I have been heavily using my phone, texting and email for about 8 hours and I am down to 74% battery left.
Maybe you have a specific app causing the drain?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. If T-MO is going to charge me 10 cents/minute to use their WiFi calling app, then I might as well just use Skype and only get charge 2.3 cents/minute.

They wont charge that unless you go over your minutes. WiFi calling is basically the same as normal calling, only it goes off of WiFi instead of a cell tower.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I noticed after I installed the update and reset my phone, I no longer have the Nokia Storage Check item in the settings menu. Anyone else notice this?

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

You will need to redownload it, use the Lumia Pusher App.

Hmm, odd that it was there before and I didn't need to do anything special. I'm unfamiliar with that app... I just got a notification from the Store that app updates were available, and included in the list were things that that Lumia pusher app has listed. Does that app just speed up getting updates from the store? I can't honestly remember if the storage check was on the phone originally, or was 'updated' via the store sometime after I set the phone up.

Edit: the apps that were being updated via the store were: display+touch, extras+info, access point, and feedback to Nokia. After those updated, I now have storage check in the settings. I guess it pays to be patient. :)

But now with the update to HERE maps, I'm really missing a compass, and I'd have paid a few bucks more for this phone to have it.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Lumia Pusher is another way of getting to apps, but list Beta Apps like Storage Check, Here Drive, and OEM has well like Network+, Access Point, etc..which are not listed in Nokia Collection.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Looks Like another OS or Firmware update is on the way, I have limited internet access so really can download it and test it out and see what it is. Not sure if it GDR2 or not..

Version: 3046.0000.1328.2024

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: New Firmware Updates released 521

Nope. On other devices, maybe, but remember Nokia is bundling their amber firmware update with GDR2, and the version number Care Suite normally displays updates under is firmware version, not OS version, last i checked.

So its very well possible this listed update is GDR2+Amber

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Firmware Updates released 521

Checked today that update 3046.0000.1328.2024 is no longer on Nokia Servers. Only 1030.6409.1316.0016 on Both Care Suite and Nokia Software Update for Retail.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb