Software&Firmware Updates 521-GDR3/Black

effortless#AC

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: New Firmware Updates released 521

My WiFi calling works fine and my Smart Cam doesn't have an update available? Also, App Social beta installed along with a few other Nokia updates today. App Social is a Nokia front-end for the app store.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I'll see if I can upload it.

Color profile, FM radio, data sense, updated "find my phone", flip to silence etc are all there.

Update:

I'm uploading the file now, it will take a little over an hour... I'll post the link when I'm done. ----> Download HERE

Use 7-zip to unzip the file to * "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products".

*Note: That location is hidden, so make sure you enable "Hidden Items" in Windows Explorer.

(I've compressed "rm-917.7z" to 519MB, unzipped, rm-917 folder should be 1.28 GB)

thank you! Im downloading it down and flash it in a few. :)

update: everything went well, except I couldn't restore my apps from my backup. I used App Reinstaller and it worked great! I do have data sense on my phone. Under display touch it has Lumina color profile, where you can adjust the color saturation and color temp. There's also an audio setting that has flip to silence.

Last edited:

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

? Is everyone Internet Sharing still working after flash I hotspot my pc a lot.

Aren Clegg

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I noticed under WiFi that there's an option to have WiFi run under lock screen. And we also get the call + SMS filter after updates.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Flashed it, had problems downloading from dropbox link, used mega.

Internet Sharing is working if you plan allow it.

Lumia Pusher no longer see the 521

Will work on screenshots for all the gdr2/amber updates..

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

GD2 and Amber Updates ScreenShots

Nokia Lumia Amber Update - Extra & Info

Audio now has a option (before audio was empty)

Under Display Lumia Color Profile is added

New Call Blocking and SMS Blocking

========

GDR2 Updates

Option to Select Which app for Camera or Lens to Use

DataSense Options

DataSense Activated

FM Radio

Last edited:

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

how do you exactly flash the 521? I have the latest update and im interested in getting it on my phone... after I deal with a 3 day Number port wait though :p

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates for 521 coming Soon

I doubt it. Tmo is the only one I know who has WiFi calling and it requires hardware support for it. The only other wp8 devices on Tmo are the 8x and 810. The 8x = dito, and the 810 when I googled it, doesn't have compatible hardware (that, with unsupported lte update and cost is probably why it eol-ed btw).

So seems unlikely.

Kind of cool though. First WiFi calling Windows Phone on TMobile.

I seriously doubt WiFi calling needs special hardware! Hand I dint,know what's the fuss is all about, you got Skype don't you?

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

WiFi Calling allows for your normal cellphone number to be used to make and take calls as well as SMS/MMS using an existing WiFi hotspot! No need for a Skype account or signing into another software account and having to run Skype at all. With FREE WiFi Calling, it's ONE NUMBER on cellular or WiFi connections. No need to give anyone a new number and

Unless you PAY for Skype credits or have a paid Skype monthly service, you cannot make or receive calls to and from other phones! You also cannot receive text messages from your mobile carrier on Skype no matter how much you pay! It's an added, extra expense on top of a person's current cellphone bill! Why deal with Skype when you can use WiFi Calling FOR FREE without the added expense and hassle of another account and paying another service? It's pretty clear why someone would rather have FREE WiFi Calling as opposed to using (and paying for) SkypeOUT/IN calling.

P.S. Yes, I'm aware that Skype-to-Skype calls are free but that's the point! The other party MUST have a Skype account and be signed in at the exact same time. The call quality on Skype also cannot compare to a cellphone call, even one made using WiFi Calling. I know. Because I have WiFi Calling and have tested it using multiple WiFi hotspots/locations!

P.P.S. I am a PAID Skype subscriber with $$ in credit on my Skype account. I can make calls to any phone in the world with Skype and I still prefer the ease of FREE WiFi Calling for all the above reasons and more.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

To me,free wifi calling is a way of saying "Our network sucks, please use the wifi you pay for and use it to make calls." I know some people have to have it due to tmobile lacking in their area, but what do you do when you are a mile from your house and your car breaks down? Look for an open network as you are walking? Tmobile free wifi calling is BS.

KitN

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Personally, I think WIFI Calling shouldn't deduct from a person's minutes and should be gratis. You are using YOUR paid network to offset the load from T-Mobile's network/towers and doing the front end (and middle) job for T-Mobile so they should either PAY YOU, give you a credit or at least not charge you or debit your minutes for it!

But T-Mobile has to make money, right? :thumbdown: People would abuse the system and switch to the lowest plan they could or go completely Pay-As-You-Go prepaid and use nothing but totally Free WI-FI Calling. T-Mobile would lose a lot of money.

Ok, I understand that but T-Mobile could still offer people a COMPLETELY FREE bucket of WI-FI Minutes that wouldn't pull from their normal plan minutes for anyone not on a totally unlimited plan.

Something small like, 250-500 Free WiFi Calling Minutes. Anything over that would debit from plan minutes.

That seems completely fair and reasonable. And would help people make their way off T-Mobile's network to their WiFi connection at least a few hundred minutes a month easing network congestion. A win-win for all parties involved! :D

But, currently, I have to agree... T-Mobile's current WiFi Calling setup is saying, "We know our network sucks in a bunch of places like your home and office so how about we have you use YOUR WiFi network to supplement OUR sh*tty service and we still debit your minutes and give you no compensation? Deal?". :rolleyes:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

@Taymur i dont know where my mind was at when i wrote that. I do know that gen 1 wifi calling required specific hardware. Gen 3, i believe requires a compatible hardware configuration, but it doesnt actually require the device to have specific hardware itself.

@KitN & @Thomas its also useful out of country when calling US numbers, and unless they changed it, i thought those on regular plans had free wifi minutes, and only prepaid was charged?

@CorePC Correctamoondo.

I do wonder when T-Mobile will get around to pushing the update. Its been on the firmware servers at least twice, and GDR2 has been out for a bit now. I want the update, but dont want to wipe my phone again (especially since its a pain to restore a backup on 2G. when setting up Windows Phone it oddly doesnt ask you to connect to wifi in 8 (something im sure my quantum did), and the app list+settings backup Windows Phone 8 has failed at 99% restore on 2G, causing about 30 apps and my theme settings to fail to restore.)

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

@Taymur i dont know where my mind was at when i wrote that. I do know that gen 1 wifi calling required specific hardware. Gen 3, i believe requires a compatible hardware configuration, but it doesnt actually require the device to have specific hardware itself.

@KitN & @Thomas its also useful out of country when calling US numbers, and unless they changed it, i thought those on regular plans had free wifi minutes, and only prepaid was charged?

@CorePC Correctamoondo.

I do wonder when T-Mobile will get around to pushing the update. Its been on the firmware servers at least twice, and GDR2 has been out for a bit now. I want the update, but dont want to wipe my phone again (especially since its a pain to restore a backup on 2G. when setting up Windows Phone it oddly doesnt ask you to connect to wifi in 8 (something im sure my quantum did), and the app list+settings backup Windows Phone 8 has failed at 99% restore on 2G, causing about 30 apps and my theme settings to fail to restore.)

I just woke up to alot of system setting updates this morning. (access point, WiFi calling, other settings updates) Makes me think they will be pushing the update soon. I will wait though, don't feel like wiping my phone again.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

I just woke up to alot of system setting updates this morning. (access point, WiFi calling, other settings updates) Makes me think they will be pushing the update soon. I will wait though, don't feel like wiping my phone again.

If you flashed your phone with GD2/Amber then the updates you are seeing would be normal.

I just checked and no update for access point, wificalling, audio, display, etc..

Checked T-Mobile 521 Support page still no word on when they are pushing the updates out

checked nokia servers still have current version not gd2/amber that was pulled that is posted above on dropbox and mega.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss