Software&Firmware Updates 521-WP8.1/Cyan

11/04/2014 - WP8.1 is live - OS Version 8.10.12400.999/CYAN Firmware

11/11/2014-WP 8.1 for MetroPCS 521
11/4/2014 - WP 8.1 for T-Mobile 521
3/19/2014-GDR3/Black released for MetroPCS Users
3/17/2014-GDR3/Black Update has been released OTA - 371mb required
Firmware: 3056.0000.1404.0034

Features
WP 8.1 brings a lot of changes, improvments, fixes. See this page for detailsWhat's new in Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Accessibility. We've made several improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
Storage. Now you can easily free up storage space on your phone and manage temporary files. New categories show what's taking up space.
Driving Mode. Feeling distracted behind the wheel? Driving Mode allows you to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help you focus on the road.
Lock Screen Orientation. Reading emails in bed? You can lock your screen orientation so it doesn't shift when you move your phone around.
Wi-Fi. Start Start preserving cellular data on your phone right out of the box?you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set up.
Internet sharing. Now you can use your phone?s cellular data connection from your Microsoft Windows 8.1 devices by pairing them over Bluetooth.
Bluetooth. Several fixes were made to address known issues, and improvements were made to connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
Ringtones. Do more with ringtones now. Assign ringtones for text messages, so you'll know who's texting you without even looking. Use your custom ringtones for more things?text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail, and reminders.
App switcher. Don't look back. Now you can use the App switcher to quickly close apps when you're finished with them.
Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.
Nokia Black - Double Tap to awake found under System->Touch

========================
Product Codes for NCS Flashing
059T039 RM-917 VAR NAM US METROPCS WIRELESS
059S0B4 RM-917 VAR US T-MOBILE SL
059S000 RM-917 PWBASSY LIGHT SWAP ENG GLOBAL[/SIZE]
========================

9/03/2013- GDR2/Amber Update has been Paused
8/15/2013 - GDR2/Amber OTA Released

Software version: Nokia Lumia 521 | T-Mobile Support
Version

• Windows Phone version 8.0
  • Software/firmware number 3046.0000.1328.2024
  • Updated 8/15/2013

Features

• Data Sense application
  • FM radio
  • User experience improvements

Prerequisites

• OTA update
  • Device is running OS version 8.0 / Firmware number 1030.6409.1316.0016
  • More than 50% battery life
  • Wi-Fi connection
  • 248 MB available memory (File size of update is 248 MB)
--------------

8/06/2013 updated pulled once again

8/05/2013 update on Nokia Servers once again (GDR2/Amber full flash no ota yet)
7/18/2013 update pulled from Nokia servers.

7/16/2013 - New Firmware or OS Update Spotted on Nokia Servers

5/20/13 - Update to Update: T-Mobile has started rolling out Firmware update OTA
You will need to reset your phone from system->about in order to get wifi app after update is applied.
Update also contains Imaging enhancements Performance and stability improvements has well.
[/SIZE]

5/09/13 - Update: T-mobile States that will be OTA on May 20 and Wi-fi Calling will be supported.

5/08/13 - New Firmware looks to be coming or in testing has Nokia Care Suite had this posted..

Product Code: 059S0B4

1030.6409.1316.0016 -

current version shipped on phone is 1030.6409.1311.0011

Last edited:

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates coming Soon

It's for the 521 Only , did not check other phones..

retitled thread Firmware Update for 521 coming Soon..

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates coming Soon

so same Major and Minor firmware version, but newer build and revision number... wonder if anything new (& most likely small) will come with this update?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Firmware Updates for 521 coming Soon

New Firmware looks to be coming or in testing has Nokia Care Suite had this posted..

Product Code: 059S0B4

1030.6409.1311.0016 -

[url]http://s1.bild.me/bilder/060112/thumb_5266550rm917firm.jpg[/URL]

current version shipped on phone is 1030.6409.1311.0011

Software version: Nokia Lumia 521 | Support
On May 20, a software update to Software version 1030.6409.1316.0016 will be released for the Nokia Lumia 521. The software update, which will be available by Over The Air (OTA), will add Wi-Fi calling.

WIFI CALLING!!! :grin:

FIrst, ipv6, now Wifi Calling. The 521 is getting better by the minute!

[SUP]I wonder if the 20th is the release date for the phone @ T-Mobile stores as well...?[/SUP]

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site

Thanks now we have a date on when firmware will get sent out, I did not want to risk bricking my phone and flashing, will wait for Official Release..

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I doubt it. Tmo is the only one I know who has WiFi calling and it requires hardware support for it. The only other wp8 devices on Tmo are the 8x and 810. The 8x = dito, and the 810 when I googled it, doesn't have compatible hardware (that, with unsupported lte update and cost is probably why it eol-ed btw).

So seems unlikely.

Kind of cool though. First WiFi calling Windows Phone on TMobile.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Important: A master reset is required:
•After completing the update, you will be required to complete a master reset to add the Wi-Fi calling feature.
•It is recommended you back up your device settings, applications, and text messages through your Microsoft account and photos through SkyDrive.
•See also: Back up device data

Shoot. This was added to the help page (Software version: Nokia Lumia 521 | Support).
There goes all that time setting up my phone...

I can do w/o wi-fi calling.

I thought the 8X on T-Mobile got an update already for Wi-Fi calling.
That's why I said "ditto". I am unsure.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

That's why I said "ditto". I am unsure.

I saw that, but then you said Lumia 521 was the first WP on T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling so I got confused.

I read a comment on the Lumia 521 Wi-Fi calling article on Tmonews that said the 8X has had the update since March, IIRC.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

I saw that, but then you said Lumia 521 was the first WP on T-Mobile with Wi-Fi calling so I got confused.

I read a comment on the Lumia 521 Wi-Fi calling article on Tmonews that said the 8X has had the update since March, IIRC.

odd, cause someone in the comments on the mainpage article for this update (I sent a tip :smile:) said that they wish their 8x had wifi calling

I said first, because, as far as I know, no other WP device has had wifi calling.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

odd, cause someone in the comments on the mainpage article for this update (I sent a tip :smile:) said that they wish their 8x had wifi calling

I said first, because, as far as I know, no other WP device has had wifi calling.

Did some digging, appears it does. It came in a firmware update at the end of March, also need a specific SIM card. I don't know what are the other requirements, you can read it if you want.

Wifi Calling | Support

Post 22 on to the last post.

T-Mobile's wifi calling? - Microsoft Community

Overview from Best Buy says it has Wi-Fi calling
HTC - Windows Phone 8X 4G Mobile Phone - Blue (T-Mobile) - HTC ACCORD BLUE KIT

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Did some digging, appears it does. It came in a firmware update at the end of March, also need a specific SIM card. I don't know what are the other requirements, you can read it if you want.

Wifi Calling | Support

Post 22 on to the last post.

T-Mobile's wifi calling? - Microsoft Community

Overview from Best Buy says it has Wi-Fi calling
HTC - Windows Phone 8X 4G Mobile Phone - Blue (T-Mobile) - HTC ACCORD BLUE KIT

how about that. Hm. I guess some 8x owners just don't know about it... (ive seen posts from them here and then about this.).

TM9190 micro SIM seems to be the required sim, and just like the 521, apparently you need a full reset (what is it with having to reset? Is it not installing the app without reset? {system apps are restored with reset, so I suppose if it stores the app within the system, the reset would install it.). Maybe this is why a number of people don't have it?

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

how about that. Hm. I guess some 8x owners just don't know about it... (ive seen posts from them here and then about this.).

TM9190 micro SIM seems to be the required sim, and just like the 521, apparently you need a full reset (what is it with having to reset? Is it not installing the app without reset? {system apps are restored with reset, so I suppose if it stores the app within the system, the reset would install it.). Maybe this is why a number of people don't have it?

Yeah probably the strange process you need to go through plus the SIM is probably why barely anyone has it. Plus it's not like T-Mobile made a huge announcement or anything.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Yeah probably the strange process you need to go through plus the SIM is probably why barely anyone has it. Plus it's not like T-Mobile made a huge announcement or anything.

A lot have said on T-Mobile support forums AND representatives told them its unavailable. Its like 1/2 of T-Mobile doesn't know it exists.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

A lot have said on T-Mobile support forums AND representatives told them its unavailable. Its like 1/2 of T-Mobile doesn't know it exists.

Shows how much T-Mobile cares about Windows Phone?

Well at least they're giving us Wi-Fi calling... even if they don't announce it. Better than T-Mobile ignoring us and not having it at all.

ashykat

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site

Hearing the 521 is getting WiFi Calling is what sealed the deal on it for me. My apartment is a black hole of cell reception (on all carriers), so I'm excited about this.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Shows how much T-Mobile cares about Windows Phone?

Well at least they're giving us Wi-Fi calling... even if they don't announce it. Better than T-Mobile ignoring us and not having it at all.

Some suggested that it (8x Wifi Calling) was for testing WiFi calling on Windows Phone, which explains that, despite it being IMS, it was incompatible with MMS over wifi among other things, and would also explain the tedious process to activate it and the lack of knowledge about it.

The 521 seems to have more public knowledge about it (The press release detailing the 521's arrival @ T-Mobile stores on the 22nd mentions the update as well). Though if it still requires the tedious process, it wont make sense.

They should just add the IMS app to the store (of course within their carrier collection as so no one outside T-Mobile can download it), and allow users to activate it with a reboot. A full reset seems to make utterly no sense unless its for installing default system apps to which IMS would be added.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb