Lumia 521: Best smartphone I've ever had

jzacuto

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a former Samsung Galaxy Nexus owner and Android lover. I'm an admitted Apple hater, I own no iProducts, and when made to I use iProducts with disdain. I'm a long-time CrackBerry addict and prior to my current job, I was an owner, user, and tester of "bleeding edge" BlackBerry devices for 8 years as a RIM employee. That includes BlackBerry 10 and the recently release BlackBerry Z10 smarpthone -- which I owned for 3 weeks before returning it to Tmobile.

So far and by far, hands down, and without question, the Nokia Lumia 521 is the single best smartphone I've ever owned, especially at the $149 price point.

Windows Phone 8 is a beautiful, intuitive, functional, fun and exciting expression of the new Windows experience. I can transition effortlessly from my PC to my smartphone.

I'm floored.

Anyone who's dismissed Nokia and who's panned WP8 is wrong. If they're ignoring these as true competitors, they're mistaken.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! The 521 runs a lot smoother than most phones from any other OS. I got it as a device to play with and it runs about as well as my 920! Walmart has 22 reviews from customers and ALL of them are 5 stars!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a former Samsung Galaxy Nexus owner and Android lover. I'm an admitted Apple hater, I own no iProducts, and when made to I use iProducts with disdain. I'm a long-time CrackBerry addict and prior to my current job, I was an owner, user, and tester of "bleeding edge" BlackBerry devices for 8 years as a RIM employee. That includes BlackBerry 10 and the recently release BlackBerry Z10 smarpthone -- which I owned for 3 weeks before returning it to Tmobile.

So far and by far, hands down, and without question, the Nokia Lumia 521 is the single best smartphone I've ever owned, especially at the $149 price point.

Windows Phone 8 is a beautiful, intuitive, functional, fun and exciting expression of the new Windows experience. I can transition effortlessly from my PC to my smartphone.

I'm floored.

Anyone who's dismissed Nokia and who's panned WP8 is wrong. If they're ignoring these as true competitors, they're mistaken.
Welcome.

Alot of ppeople bash windows phone but have not ever used it. It is a great os. Glad you enjoy it

jzacuto

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm struck by how smoothly a $149 phone runs. And how long it lasts. And the OS is *stunning*. People who don't like it are lame.

Sure the 521 has some fine details that could be improved, but when I think of these things, I have to keep it in perspective. It's a $149 phone, not a $500 phone.

At $500, the Lumia 920 is amazing. But it's $350 more. Seriously... if the 521 gets smashed or I leave it in a cab, I won't cry about it. My Galaxy Nexus, the Z10 I had, or if I had gotten a 920 or a 8X and had lost one of those, I'd cry.

Team of Zombies

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Comparing the $130 phone of 2013 to the $300 phone from 2011 is an interesting comparison. While I feel the features are lacking on the 521, I knew that going in to it and only picked it up because it was so inexpensive. It's no the best phone I've ever had, but it's a nice phone for the price and I praise Nokia for releasing a device of this quality in this price range. I'm not sure I'll keep using this phone or go back to my Galaxy Nexus S. The sorry performance of the Audible.com app on the Windows phone has been the most frustrating issue for me.

How can the 521 be used?
If you're not looking for apps that require 1GB of RAM (even Nokia has this requirements on at least one of their apps)...
If you're not planning on using a front-facing camera...
If you don't require the use of a flash for your camera or sometimes use your camera flash as a flashlight...
If the size of the screen isn't a detractor...
...then the Nokia Lumia 521 is a great device for the price.

I knew most of those issue when I picked mine up, but I can always go back to my other phone, I just wanted to use a Windows Phone for a bit. If I decide to get a 925 when they come out for T-mobile, I'll know what I'm getting into.

I guess I should add that I've had bad luck with accessories for phones I've purchased. The MyTouch 4G never had a native docking station to utilize the pogo pins, so I never got one. The Galaxy Nexus S had one available for like 5 minutes and I missed that window before they took it down. I'm hoping Nokia releases a car dock for the 521. If not, I'll probably ditch it sooner than later. I don't want some huge, generic, car dock that is twice the size of the phone and overly bulky because it's meant for everything from an ipod nano to a galaxy note 2!

Last edited:

blackhorse6

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy nexus also and I just bought the 521, it's nice for the $139 I bought it for. It has lots of short comings, but for the price it can't be beat.

angryGTS

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the 521 last night as a back up phone to my Nexus 4. At $129 at WalMart it was a good excuse for me to try Windows Phone. As a first impression its not bad for the price it doesn't at all compare to the Nexus 4 but it is comparable to my LG Motion 4G. They are at almost the same price point they share the same processor although the 521 is under clocked to 1Ghz compared to 1.2Ghz on the Motion 4G. The 521 has less RAM but I have heard Windows Phone doesn't need high RAM to run smoothly. Neither phone has much noticible lag to me but one thing on the Lumia I will need to get used to is the constant Loading screens when going through different menu screens and not even opening any apps. The stock browser could be better I loaded up the Fl Lottery site to check my numbers and there's where the phone could benefit from not being under clocked and some additional RAM or maybe just better optimizations in the browser. I am a huge fan of customization which compared to android is a huge fail in this category for me. Also the 521 seems to be lacking some additional sensors and some stock apps won't work on the phone which is unfortunate even for this price point because the motion has the extra sensors but that is somewhat of a trade off because the 521 has an ambient light sensor, I was pleasantly surprised. My biggest complaint so far is the screen resolution and the screen is washed out but the 521 is not a high end phone.

Last edited:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up the 521 last night as a back up phone to my Nexus 4. At $129 at WalMart it was a good excuse for me to try Windows Phone. As a first impression its not bad for the price it doesn't at all compare to the Nexus 4 but it is comparable to my LG Motion 4G. They are at almost the same price point they share the same processor although the 521 is under clocked to 1Ghz compared to 1.2Ghz on the Motion 4G. The 521 has less RAM but I have heard Windows Phone doesn't need high RAM to run smoothly. Neither phone has much noticible lag to me but one thing on the Lumia I will need to get used to is the constant Loading screens when going through different menu screens and not even opening any apps. The stock browser could be better I loaded up the Fl Lottery site to check my numbers and there's where the phone could benefit from not being under clocked and some additional RAM or maybe just better optimizations in the browser. I am a huge fan of customization which compared to android is a huge fail in this category for me. Also the 521 seems to be lacking some additional sensors and some stock apps won't work on the phone which is unfortunate even for this price point because the motion has the extra sensors but that is somewhat of a trade off because the 521 has an ambient light sensor, I was pleasantly surprised. My biggest complaint so far is the screen resolution and the screen is washed out but the 521 is not a high end phone.

As far as processor, it doesn't matter if its underclocked or slower, since not only does Windows Phone not need much ram, it can make do with a 1GHz processor as well. Its nice like that. As far as the loading screens, ive noticed them more after installing my apps and setting up my phone. Its odd, since WP7 didnt have this problem on some of the same level hardware. As far as the browser, I think its as good as its gonna get until IE11 is released, since Windows Phone 8 IE10 uses the same engine as the desktop browser IE10. Only difference is mobile view and lack of plugins (java, flash, etc...). As far as sensors and apps, the 521 lacks a magnometer/compass. That's it. stock apps (as in ones that come with device) should all run fine. What apps did you have problems with? Lastly, what do you mean by the screen is "washed out"?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
This is my first NOKIA and I am more than happy with it. (Had a Samsung Focus Flash)
It is everything that I have to come expect from the name NOKIA.
Quality Features, and Build Quailty and Unique Design that NOKIA is known for.
Premium Camera Software and Mapping Software that NOKIA updates all the time.
Sure it is minus some features but try and find another phone with the same features for the same price that is NEW.
ALL Hail NOKIA.

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 521 is my first Windows Device. I was stoked when I first heard about it being released at the price point it was. I was looking for a chance to really check out the Windows 8 OS but I did not want to have to go "all-in" with a high priced, high end device just in case I did not like it. The 521 was the pefect answer.

I've only been tooling around with it for about a week now, but so far it's been a delightfully fun device to use. Everything has been smooth and has worked like it should. I've used many Nokia Devices over the years and that's the common theme with all of them....they just work as they should.

For me, this phone has been a good introduction to Windows Mobile and I'm now much more likely to buy a high end windows device in the near future because of my experience with the Lumia 521.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 521 is my first Windows Device. I was stoked when I first heard about it being released at the price point it was. I was looking for a chance to really check out the Windows 8 OS but I did not want to have to go "all-in" with a high priced, high end device just in case I did not like it. The 521 was the pefect answer.

I've only been tooling around with it for about a week now, but so far it's been a delightfully fun device to use. Everything has been smooth and has worked like it should. I've used many Nokia Devices over the years and that's the common theme with all of them....they just work as they should.

For me, this phone has been a good introduction to Windows Mobile and I'm now much more likely to buy a high end windows device in the near future because of my experience with the Lumia 521.

Welcome to the family! Just remember, it isn't Windows Mobile, it is Windows Phone. Windows Mobile was Microsoft's old OS. Windows Phone is the new, and entirely different OS. It is an easy mistake to make as you still see it sometimes in tech blogs!

angryGTS

May 17, 2013
Visit site
By the screen being washed out I mean the colors don't seem to stand out as well as something a bit more high end which is understandable for the price point as well as the low resolution. I would prefer at least qHD resolution on this screen size but that would up the price. I can't remember what app it was saying I couldn't use all the features because it was missing a compass it was either a camera app or a map feature I was looking through the phone now and couldn't replicate the error my phone is 99% stock the only app I downloaded was Final Fantasy. When I can replicated the stock app error I will post back. Also is there a recent apps menu or anything to go back into a recently used app without having to scroll through the UI?

angryGTS

May 17, 2013
Visit site
As far as processor, it doesn't matter if its underclocked or slower, since not only does Windows Phone not need much ram, it can make do with a 1GHz processor as well. Its nice like that. As far as the loading screens, ive noticed them more after installing my apps and setting up my phone. Its odd, since WP7 didnt have this problem on some of the same level hardware. As far as the browser, I think its as good as its gonna get until IE11 is released, since Windows Phone 8 IE10 uses the same engine as the desktop browser IE10. Only difference is mobile view and lack of plugins (java, flash, etc...). As far as sensors and apps, the 521 lacks a magnometer/compass. That's it. stock apps (as in ones that come with device) should all run fine. What apps did you have problems with? Lastly, what do you mean by the screen is "washed out"?

I remember what I was trying to do and I got the error that I was missing a sensor, augmented reality with a stock application. Also can we install other keyboards on Windows phone?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I remember what I was trying to do and I got the error that I was missing a sensor, augmented reality with a stock application. Also can we install other keyboards on Windows phone?

City Lenses and augmented reality would have been nice, but, that needs a compass to work right.

Not to my knowledge, I have not seen any keyboard apps..The ones that are available are music keyboard or apps to type in different languages, no swype..

angryGTS

May 17, 2013
Visit site
City Lenses and augmented reality would have been nice, but, that needs a compass to work right.

Not to my knowledge, I have not seen any keyboard apps..The ones that are available are music keyboard or apps to type in different languages, no swype..

Bummer. Is there a way to at least turn on tactic feedback so when you type it vibrates? Any way to mod these phones too?

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Bummer. Is there a way to at least turn on tactic feedback so when you type it vibrates??

Setting->RingTones&Sounds->at bottom select key press that will turn on or off the keyboard feedback when you type..

WP8 is pretty locked down so going to take a while for anybody to crack the bootloader so that custom rom will work..see xda site..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99