T-Mobile Lumia 810 and Better Business Bureau

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
1) The 810 is still supported by T-Mobile as is the Radar 4G, Lumia 710 and even the HD7... Please don't mistake "not for sale" with "not supported". That said, we will have to see what support is offered going forward. When you look at this in comparison, the AT&T HTC Titan which was replaced by the Titan II in about the same time frame. Nobody sued or threatened to over that one. The Titan received one update from AT&T before it was shelved. We couldn't even edit APN's for use on other networks. The 810 is already light years ahead of that deal.

2) As far as I have been told by Microsoft, T-Mobile and Nokia, device support will continue through July of 2014 for ALL LUMIA MODELS.

Hopefully we will see the updates in a timely fashion, but complaining to an important government agency will not solve the problem of being upset about purchasing a device that is EOL'd. It's too bad that there isn't better communications about the device from T-Mobile's end, but they are more concerned with new clients and turning a profit than they are about keeping a few thousand 810 users happy.

waazzupppp!

"The 810 is still supported by T-Mobile as is the Radar 4G, Lumia 710 and even the HD7" That's not the strongest argument in the world. From what I can see at the T-Mobile site the last 710 update was 6/22/12 to Mango. Last Radar update was 2/15/13 (but not to 7.8), and the last HTC HD 7 update was 3/19/12 to Mango. I have the HTC HD 7 and as far as APN's are concerned, I do not have access to the MMS settings and therefore so far have been unable to get MMS on net 10.

If you read the forums you will find all sorts of people still working T-Mobile's nerve on whether or not those phones will get 7.8. Whether or not anybody thinks it's wise or the best course of action, quite a few people seem to be expecting to get firmware and OS updates for their phones. Personally I think a lot of those issues are reasonable and that the phone companies have been exploitive and uncaring in their attitude towards their customers.

Your second point. I know you've told us that the 810 will get an update soon and while I appreciate what you've said, but at the end of the day you are another anonymous poster. You may have great connections to the cell phone industry and I am not saying that you are incorrect or that I doubt your word. However it is also reasonable to have a "lets wait and see approach" to what you've said. If T-Mobile themselves were to make announcements, that still is no guarantee but it would be at least official.

"they are more concerned with new clients and turning a profit than they are about keeping a few thousand 810 users happy" In one sense I know that you don't work for T-Mobile or you've gone rouge because no company should ever explicitly say what you've just said there. Those "few thousand 810" owners are T-Mobile customers, or were and at the end of the day that is the issue. You want customers happy because they will stay your customers. You f*ck your customers and they are either bad talking you to their friends, or they leave.

As far as a BBB complaint I don't know enough about it to say if it is going to work. But if Dave feels like doing that, that is fine and I will defer to the BBB to handle the issue as appropriate. But let me say that I expect that there will be moves to address the problem of carriers not updating phones. I think this is an issue that is not going away and will continue to be a thorn in the carriers side. I expect that there may be a move to legislate a response. Dave is not alone in being upset, not only with the 810 or any other Windows Phones, but also any number of Android phones.

My 810 is gone, turned back in today. I'm back on my HTC HD 7. Only after owning the 810 a month and a half I was getting close to 500 mb free. Yes, I understand the "need" for patience. I also understand the frustration and anger.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
oh great..so my HTC 8x got stolen..and I just finished buying an 810..its in the mail
was a mistake?
what the hell is EOL?
is the other storage issue really that big of an issue? like would it thwart me from being able to use my phone at all? or more of an annoyance and contsantly having to delete app(which i did on my HTC anyways, idk if it had the same other storage issue?
will the 810 (or the HTC 8x for that matter) be getting the the GRD2,3 and Amber updates?
now im worried D:

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The Nokia 710 no longer is getting support. Nokia and T-Mobile both said it. It will not be getting 7.8. This 18 month or two year window is something that should be improved on.

I think that the OP is in the right and should try to find a remedy to fix the issue with updates by T-Mobile. They are already done this to other devices. Especially now that all Tmobile customers who are not on the Classic Plan have to pay full price for their phones.

Robert Novak1

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
rdubmu
use seveneighter to update any wp 7 device to 7.8. I did it for both a LG C900 and a Lumia 900 WP tools and zune are required

LeLee092
E.O.L stands for End of Lifecycle

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
LeLee,

The storage issue does affect some phones, especially earlier made ones. Personally, I haven't had any issues that keep me from ever being able to use my phone. 810 SHOULD get updates, but until I see it, it is subject to debate.

The 810 is (for me) a great mid range phone. I hope yours will work as well as mine does for me.

EOL is what they refer to as end of life, i.e. they are no longer ordering them from Nokia, but yes they are for sale from dealers and even T-Mobile stores as long as they have them. It doesn't mean they won't support them.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
LeLee,

The storage issue does affect some phones, especially earlier made ones. Personally, I haven't had any issues that keep me from ever being able to use my phone. 810 SHOULD get updates, but until I see it, it is subject to debate.

The 810 is (for me) a great mid range phone. I hope yours will work as well as mine does for me.

EOL is what they refer to as end of life, i.e. they are no longer ordering them from Nokia, but yes they are for sale from dealers and even T-Mobile stores as long as they have them. It doesn't mean they won't support them.

hmm okay thats a bit more reassuring, thanks! It sucks they got EOL so early on, especially the HTC 8x since it was tmobiles flagship windows phone!

Im really looking forward to the 810! I'm over high end phones that break my bank (and heart when they get stolen!) and I couldnt deal with the 521 not having a front facing or Flash
so the 810 is the best of both worlds...
*crosses fingers* that we get the GDR2,3 and hopefully 8.1

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
hmm okay thats a bit more reassuring, thanks! It sucks they got EOL so early on, especially the HTC 8x since it was tmobiles flagship windows phone!

Im really looking forward to the 810! I'm over high end phones that break my bank (and heart when they get stolen!) and I couldnt deal with the 521 not having a front facing or Flash
so the 810 is the best of both worlds...
*crosses fingers* that we get the GDR2,3 and hopefully 8.1

I know you said you're over high end phones, and I'm sorry to hear your 8X got stolen, but depending on how you bought your 810, I'd find a way to turn it into a 925 when that gets launched.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I know you said you're over high end phones, and I'm sorry to hear your 8X got stolen, but depending on how you bought your 810, I'd find a way to turn it into a 925 when that gets launched.

We'll see...I'll probably just stick it out with the 810...since I'm also goinng to be studying abroad for the first 6 months of 2014 to europe so i'll be using a prepaid flipphone and use my 810 very limited way (prob just pictures and a few social media apps over wifi) when I come back June of 2014 I'll see what the market looks like...

But then again if Tmobile really doesnt plan to support the phone and we dont get GRD2 or 3 then I might just sell it before then and get the 925(i would get the 520, but i want to take nice pictures while im in europe :p)..decisions decisions

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We'll see...I'll probably just stick it out with the 810...since I'm also goinng to be studying abroad for the first 6 months of 2014 to europe so i'll be using a prepaid flipphone and use my 810 very limited way (prob just pictures and a few social media apps over wifi) when I come back June of 2014 I'll see what the market looks like...

But then again if Tmobile really doesnt plan to support the phone and we dont get GRD2 or 3 then I might just sell it before then and get the 925(i would get the 520, but i want to take nice pictures while im in europe :p)..decisions decisions

Where in Europe are you going to?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Where in Europe are you going to?

Great question. Also, did you get your 810 at full price? If you did, and depending on where in Europe you're headed you could just sell the 810 and yet a 925 32GB model. There is a nice subform there on how to debrand your 925 to make it run more like a truly unlocked model so you get the updates from Nokia directly,,

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Great question. Also, did you get your 810 at full price? If you did, and depending on where in Europe you're headed you could just sell the 810 and yet a 925 32GB model. There is a nice subform there on how to debrand your 925 to make it run more like a truly unlocked model so you get the updates from Nokia directly,,

Vienna, Austria..
and how will that work? like when I come back to the US on tmobile? sorry i dont know much about unlocked phones :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Vienna, Austria..
and how will that work? like when I come back to the US on tmobile? sorry i dont know much about unlocked phones :p

Many Euroepan countries, from what I understand, offer their phones as unlocked already. I think that happens too in Austria, but dig around to be sure. If Vodafone sells there, you could get a 925 there that has the 32GB storage. It may run like any unlocked phone in the US on t-mo...LTE in refarmed areas, minimum EDGE nearly everywhere and 3G in most places. Many people would trade internet speed for increased storage, myself included.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone no longer sold or not supported?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

If you're talking about the 810, yes it is gone from most t-mo stores...3rd part places may still have it at the full initial price sold at launch. As for support: "officially" yes but we all know that once you EOL a device it is dead to rights....

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Many Euroepan countries, from what I understand, offer their phones as unlocked already. I think that happens too in Austria, but dig around to be sure. If Vodafone sells there, you could get a 925 there that has the 32GB storage. It may run like any unlocked phone in the US on t-mo...LTE in refarmed areas, minimum EDGE nearly everywhere and 3G in most places. Many people would trade internet speed for increased storage, myself included.

Thanks for the tip, Idk if i'll follow it though since I'm barely affording the trip as is, so the last thing on my mind would be to upgrading my phone :p but maybe if the price is right on the 925 i can afford it (though it kinda sucks that the resell value for the 810 would be nonexistance by then) does Vodafone have pre-paid contracts?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, Idk if i'll follow it though since I'm barely affording the trip as is, so the last thing on my mind would be to upgrading my phone :p but maybe if the price is right on the 925 i can afford it (though it kinda sucks that the resell value for the 810 would be nonexistance by then) does Vodafone have pre-paid contracts?

I think they should, but you just have to do some digging...😊...i hope your enjoy your trip. I've heard Vienna is nice and is on my bucket list for sure...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Vodafone, T Mobile ( they are part of German Post) etc and all providers in Europe have SIM only contracts (SIM is free), for example T Mobile has 400 Text, 100 min talk and 1GB datea for about $14. and good for 30 days, then to add minutes etc you just text a code for different amounts of data, talk and text and the SIM gets reloaded, it's easy in Europe.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I just did a bit of homework on the Windows Phone releases in the past 3 years and made a very interesting discovery... Nokia devices have been coming out every 6 months like clockwork, each one killing the model before it. For example, the 900 came out in April of 2012... The 920 came out in November of 2012... Now the 1020/EOS is due later this month/next month... That makes a pattern of about 7 month apart for each device and roughly a 6 month EOL pattern.

HTC had the same story, but slightly worse in some cases... The Titan came out in November of 2011, then the Titan II replaced it in April 2012... The 8x replaced that in November of 2012. So once again, they dump a new phone on the market every 6 months. We'll see if they release another Windows Phone after the 8x or not. They are giving it one more shot with Sprint this fall, but who knows if they will keep it up or not.

Samsung... This one is even more painful! After the original Focus in November of 2010, they've been turning devices every 6 months as well. The Focus S/Flash series came out in November of 2011. The Focus 2 was then released in May of 2012 (a month before WP8 was announced!) and then the ATIV S joined the group in November of 2012, but the release was delayed due to Galaxy S III popularity until February of 2013. Again, Samsung has basically said that their WP devices aren't selling well so I don't expect a refresh anytime soon. The ATIV might just be Samsung's last WP for a while.

So, with all that said, T-Mobile may not have EOL'd the device for any other reason than it was time for Nokia to bring them something new. The 810 was a step-brother of the 820 series and was lost somewhere between the 800/900 and the 820/920. T-Mobile was the only carrier to have it and they didn't sell that well. Sure, I'm still positive that they will be bringing an update when it is ready, but for right now it appears we aren't victims at all, we just bought into a platform that is releasing new hardware every 6 months.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Pretty much sums up what was already evident in the news, however "soft" sales have been increases for WP. It's true that us enthusiasts want hi-end phones, but you mostly see mid-level ones. In order to keep attracting new customers, OEMS have to keep the desire fresh. In a perfect world it would be different, but this is far from that.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb