SD Card Recording Issue (Video files are choppy after recording)

FixWindowsPhone

May 25, 2013
Visit site
In addition to the glaring "Other Storage" glitch that many of us have been experiencing, I have also had one more issue which I was hoping some of you may be able to give me some help with. I have a Class 10 64GB microSD card that I'm using, I have my newly recorded videos and photos stored to it. Unfortunately, when I record videos, the recorded video ends up choppy. When I play back the video on my phone, the video is choppy. When I play it back on my computer, the video is choppy in the same way and in the same places. In other words, the problem is with the recorded video file, not the playback of that file. It appears that when the Lumia 810 records video to the cards, the file does not get written efficiently, resulting in a choppy video file. My brother also has a Lumia 810, and he has the same problem with his SD Card (which is not identical to my own). The Portico update helped the problem a little bit, but my video files are still quite choppy. I should also note that photos seem to take a long time to record. I have seen some mention of this issue on Nokia's forums, but not much. Has any body else had this problem?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I recorded a few videos back in February, when I attended the Testament/Overkill concert and my videos were really good quality, both video and sound, much to my surprise. I even found them to be somewhat less shaky than a video I took last year with my iPhone 4. Was your hand shaking a lot? I always worried about that issue, but I managed to keep my hands very steady while recording.

FixWindowsPhone

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Naw, even with my hands being steady, the video is choppy. The choppiness doesn't look like shaky hands, but more glitchy. Even if the phone is completely still, my videos come out choppy.

erike3198

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site
Class 10 is unfortunately not compatible. I believe you need class 4. Look it up on Nokia's website. There have been issues with using class 10 such as even freezing the phone. Try class 4 and see what happens.

FixWindowsPhone

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Class 10 is unfortunately not compatible. I believe you need class 4. Look it up on Nokia's website. There have been issues with using class 10 such as even freezing the phone. Try class 4 and see what happens.

Hmmmm.... I'll have to look and see if my brother's is a Class 4. Thank you for the info! :-D

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Class 10 cards are actually recommended, but UHS cards are even better. Class 4 cards will not write fast enough to record HD video without skipping frames. The bigger problem that people have is an inconsistent card speed. Nokia's brilliant advice was to format the card in the computer, then insert it into the phone. Seems backwards to me, but I haven't had any problems since I did this.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
There is something wrong with the SanDisk 64GB microSD cards. They just don't work very well with any WP8.

I played around with various microSD cards, and found that Kingston 32GB Class 10 (SDC10/32GB) works fine, and also Samsung 32GB Plus Series Class 6/UHS-1 (MB-MPBGB/AM).

From Wikipedia,, increasing speeds:

• Class 2 for SD video recording
  • Class 4 and 6 for high-definition video (HD) to Full HD video recording,
  • Class 10 for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills
  • UHS Speed Class 1 for real-time broadcasts and large HD video files

Here is a nice graphic comparing the speeds:
sd-evolution-sdxc.gif

You'll notice that "UHS Speed Class 1" is faster than "Class 10", but for some reason the above Samsung microSD card is a UHS-I card, but only a Class 6, it works just fine in the phone for recording video (it was also rather less expensive compared to other cards). I recommend that people use UHS-I, or UHS-II (if you can find one) microSD cards in windows phones.

carguy303

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Class 10 cards are actually recommended, but UHS cards are even better. Class 4 cards will not write fast enough to record HD video without skipping frames. The bigger problem that people have is an inconsistent card speed. Nokia's brilliant advice was to format the card in the computer, then insert it into the phone. Seems backwards to me, but I haven't had any problems since I did this.
So you had the choppiness problem before but formatting the card in your computer fixed it?

pmelichar

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I also had this problem even with Kingston class 10 sd card. Video in 1080p was still choppy and I was not able to record long video. So not all class 10 cards are OK.
Finally I bought new card: A-Data Micro SDHC Premier 16GB UHS-1 part. no: AUSDH16GUICL10-R ant this works perfectly on my Lumia 820 GDR2. No problem to record video in 1080p resolution.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I know this post is old, but I have recently bought a UHS1 Class 10 16GB Sandisk card but I am also experiencing this choppy playback issue. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I know this post is old, but I have recently bought a UHS1 Class 10 16GB Sandisk card but I am also experiencing this choppy playback issue. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be.

All I know is I can use the most basic Micro SD and if viewed on my phone or my pc they are not choppy.
The only time a video clip appears choppy is one posted to Facefoot and that isn't related to a phone video
even some clips using a Pen E-PL3 (at times) look choppy. Facefoot issue not phone or camera.

griprim12

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi Since your on SD cards have a question I have a Auto -car AM/FM Pyle radio with USB and SD card slot and transferred music files on to a Sand Disk SD card and one song will be loud and then the next will be very low in volume and have to keep adjusting the volume level . Also tried a new mini 8 GB USB Sand disk and get the same results on volume on some songs is not loud enough and others are ok . Do I have a file format problem ? Or the type of SD card I'm using or do I need a better soft ware program for transferring music files ? using windows 7 music software . or just need a better software for transferring music files to either SD memory or a mini USB memory

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05