[8862.13100] Battery and Diagnostics

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just a little background on my device. I've flashed the latest update through use of Nokia Suite (following some instructions posted around the forums), and just to test things, I down flashed to 7.5 and updated to the latest 7.8 build with firmware using Zune. In both cases I had 8862.13100.

My first question is, using the Diagnostics App (dial ##634# in phone dialer), is your battery status working? Mine shows up blank, all it shows is the battery, but no information, no levels, no status on discharging or charging, nor any mAh usage. This started to occur after I flashed 7.8 through Nokia Suite. I down flashed to 7.5 and it wasn't working there either, so I'm thinking the firmware might have changed something permanently (not sure if this is possible since I flashed the 7.5 rom, so shouldn't that overwrite and downgrade whatever firmware is there?).

My other question is, is anyone noticing a large increase in battery life? I've gone from charging daily to almost charging every 3 days. Usage for me is the same, and if anything I have more live tiles on my Start Screen, but by the end of the day of moderate use, I'm at like 59%, when usually I'm down to 30-35%. I'm not complaining, but I sure am hoping my battery readings are accurate. I did a total drain to try to calibrate (similar to what is recommended of laptops using li-on batteries) the state of the li-on battery by continuously playing a video (I understand this will damage the battery more than just charging it, especially since li-on doesn't have a "memory," but from what I understand the sensor that reads the battery level may be off and needs to be calibrated from time to time). It took like 6 hours to do this, and that was streaming video from YouTube over a hidden Wi-Fi network.

It's pretty nice to have all this battery life now, but not being able to see the battery status makes me feel like something got broken. Anyone else experiencing this?

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The diagnostic tool works for me.

You are talking about the tool that you get initially by dialing ##634# correct?

Correct. The tool works in everything except the battery status, it shows everything but actual data. I reflashed a couple times, all the way back to stock rom, but nothing seems to fix it. Not sure if my battery firmware might have been corrupted during the flash to the latest 7.8, that's when it occurred.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
When you're flashing from NCS are you using Recovery or Refurbish? Have you tried a triple flash where you flash the device 3 times in a row before use?

That triple flash shouldn't be needed these days, but it used to fix odd issues in WinMo and Android.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Using NCS, I've actually tried both Recovery and Refurbish, same problem though. I'll give the triple flash a try though. I think now that it isn't working in Diagnostics is telling me my phone isn't able to accurately read the battery anymore. With normal use it seems to drain less, then if I try to play a game when its around 30%, I get the critically low battery in about 10-20 minutes, bypassing having the phone go to battery saver mode.
EDIT: Just gave a triple flash a try using Recovery. Didn't seem to work. I'll give a triple flash using stock rom a try.
EDIT 2: Yeup, guess that part is broken on my phone. Triple flashing using Recovery and the stock rom (build 8112) didn't seem to do it either. I hope it calibrates over time. Maybe I'll try using an older version of NCS. I tried the Triple flash using the latest build of NCS (5.0_2013.1.3.4).

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The version of NCS shouldn't matter so much. The triple-flash procedure is just usually done to make sure that any old code is gone, and that the new code is for sure flashed properly.

If it's still not working that means that the reporting isn't happening for some reason. If you live in a country with Nokia shops I would stop in there. If you don't then I would stop in to an actual company store (not a 3rd party retailer store) and have them look at it.

With AT&T they actually have 'Device Support Center' stores that are specialized in helping in these exact scenarios. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes