I want to try WP8 - will this phone give the experience justice?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
The only 'problem' I see is that if your are a heavy user of Google services you won't get those (at least on the same level) on a non-android phone. Google has pretty much excluded other ecosystems from fully tapping into Google apps and services. That said, the alternatives are as good if not better on Nokia phones (HERE drive/maps and Nokia apps)

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Getting off the google ecosystem is no doubt just as painful as getting off the iPhone ecosystem, or any other if there were others.

But to me, that's not so much an advantage of Android or IOS or even Windows Phone as it is a way to keep you locked in to an OS.

For me, it was painful to move off IOS and icloud, but ultimately worth it. Strangely, it drove me farther down Google's, albeit on Windows Phone, but the result is that my data are now less locked in than before. That means I can concentrate more on how much I like or dislike the workflow on each different OS.

Still loving Windows Phone.

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 5. I wanted to try WP so bought a Lumia 520. The iPhone has now been sold on and I've bought a Lumia 920. It's a big change and there is an adjustment period but its worth it.

Oakdale Dude

May 17, 2013
Visit site
It sounds as though your are looking at things the same way I was when I bought this phone. I was a Android User for a long time and while Android is capable and has it's many perks, I was never a Android ****** and was intrigued with Windows Phone and wanted to get an extended tryout. I knew though I did not want to enter into the subsidised phone & contract world again just to satiate my curiosity and I knew I did not want to drop 4 or 5 bills either. I mean what if I hated the experience?

I called Elop from Nokia and told him my problem. He said he'd try to build a device and keep it under $200 off contract.

Well, that last part is a lie lol But they did swoop in at the right time and built and offered an affordable device that afforded me the chance to give Windows Phone a try-out without having to auction off one of my kidneys on ebay.

It was a slick move on Nokia's part because after my experience with the 521 and the Windows Phone Platform in general, I'll be much, much more likely to take my Windows Phone experience to a higher level.

I'll use this for a year, get my $150 and more out of it, then look out at what higher end Windows Phone Devices are available at that time.

smt4731

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I did *just this this week.

I have a Nexus 4. I have the $30 T-Mobile plan, and had read wonderful things about the Nokia 521. I wondered if it would be a decent phone. I have a child who's going to need a phone soon, and I thought I'd pick up the Nokia and play with it and see if I liked it. My plan was to just give it to my son. However, I honestly think that I'm going to give up the Nexus 4 and just hold on to this for a while.

Like you, I'm not really into a bunch of apps. The Nokia has most of everything I need -- Facebook, Twitter, good messaging and email, and really nice navigation and music apps. It *is* missing a few of the Android apps I used regularly (like coupon apps), but not to the point where I'm feeling pain. Admittedly, I'm only 3 days into this experiment, but -- I like Windows Phone. A lot.

I've never owned an iPhone, so I cannot compare the experience. However, the 521 does an excellent job with basic tasks. Everything runs VERY smoothly. Like REALLY REALLY smoothly. No force closes. No stuttering. No unpleasantness. It's not as fast as the Nexus - but I wasn't expecting it to be. I just wanted to see what WP was like before I spent any real money on it in the future. Based on what I've seen so far, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another WP in the future. I haven't really missed the Nexus this week at all. The screen is much smaller, but the overall feel in my hand is far superior -- believe it or not -- to the Nexus. I'm a woman with average hand size. I was always petrified I'd drop the Nexus and shatter it, even with a case. I'm not worried about this phone at all.

Dip your toes into the WP pool with this phone. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MsBuzzman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I came from android devices and tried this phone out. I can say my google contacts and calender synced very easily. Metrotalk is a good sub. for GV. I am really liking this phone and decided to keep it. I have the tmo monthly 4g plan on this and put my ptel realpaygo in my Note. I went back to tmo after not being completely happy with ptel, but I have the sim workable for the next 10 months. Got some great refil deals before deciding to refil t-mo. The only thing I am lacking is free tethering. I will have to switch sims in my phones to get this working again on my note. Tmobile charges for tethering on prepaid with this phone. It used to be an extra $15 to use the data you already paid for. Android has a work around for this double charge. I don't understand how this double dip is allowed or tolerated by consumers on all the cell phone companies.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
The only 'problem' I see is that if your are a heavy user of Google services you won't get those (at least on the same level) on a non-android phone. Google has pretty much excluded other ecosystems from fully tapping into Google apps and services. That said, the alternatives are as good if not better on Nokia phones (HERE drive/maps and Nokia apps)

I'm going to disagree with you, at least a bit. Google is probably the best at making thier ecosystem available on other devices. The fact is, neither Apple nor Microsoft (Windows phone) has done much of anything to make their ecosystem really work on another phone OS. While I agree Google has not done much for the Windows phone yet, they do at least make an attempt to make their ecosystem available on iOS -- for example, the Siri competitor Google Now is included in the iOS Google Search app.

I believe Google, like many of the app publishers, are waiting for Windows Phone to grab a larger market share before porting their apps. I'll agree it is disappointing and frustrating. Amazon is another company that it would be nice if they stepped up, largely in providing their music (such as iOS and Android) and video (iOS) apps on Windows Phone. I'm also frustrated by B&N for not making a Windows Phone Nook app, particularly since they have a Nook app for Windows Tablets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos