Would unlocking 810 matter despite EOL to receive updates?

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this question has been raised here but i've just called TMo and requested for my device to be unlocked... **still waiting for that confirmation** Guess my question is despite of being EOL'd - will it matter anyways in order to bypass TMo's "c o c kblockage" to receive further updates / support directly from MSFT and Nokia?

Kind of off topic but i have also just learned that if you're currently on monthly installment plan - they can't unlock your device until its been paid off... this is directly coming from the rep.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Unlocking won't do anything in terms of receiving updates. It will only let you use it on other networks.

But if you do want to unlock, try cellunlocker.net they seem to be able to unlock a lot of phones that other unlocking companies cannot. This was the case with two of my Lumia 820's. Nobody could unlock them! Cellunlocker.net unlocked both within a couple hours.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Unlocking won't do anything in terms of receiving updates. It will only let you use it on other networks.

But if you do want to unlock, try cellunlocker.net they seem to be able to unlock a lot of phones that other unlocking companies cannot. This was the case with two of my Lumia 820's. Nobody could unlock them! Cellunlocker.net unlocked both within a couple hours.

nice.. yeah i was having doubts if it will truly "UNLOCK" my device and suppose that i should go with that route you mentioned - i'm not sure if there will be any guarantees that my 810 will get the GDR2 and Amber but i'm still a little optimistic. When you got your 820's unlocked - how often do you receive updates?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
What you are hoping for is that the device can be debranded... Unfortunately, worldwide, the Lumia 810 was only available on T-Mobile... That won't bode well for debranding. I've debranded a few WP, but other than Samsungs, it's been a complete pain. We can always hope though...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean that your (hopefully in the future) unlocked T Mobile Lumia 810 won't get the Amber or GDR2 updates like the rest of us won't ?
Rest assured you won't either.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
When you got your 820's unlocked - how often do you receive updates?

I receive them as often as AT&T puts them out. So unlocking doesn't do anything to the updates. You have to debrand it to distance yourself from the carrier updates.

But as mentioned, the 810 only ever existed in a branded version. So there is no alternative option.

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I remain hopeful that the 810 will receive the amber update even tho TMobile ditched it as the flagship to bring in the 925. I still think it'll come as its supposed to be coming to the family of 820 line from what I read. Whether or not TMobile puts it out in a timely manner is the real question since their so focused on android more than windows phone. They didn't even really advertise the release of the 925 sadly.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping nokia and MS pick up the slack and release the updates for the 810. I have one too, and I love it, and I don't want to get rid of it simply because it doesn't have the software support behind it.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I remain hopeful that the 810 will receive the amber update even tho TMobile ditched it as the flagship to bring in the 925. I still think it'll come as its supposed to be coming to the family of 820 line from what I read. Whether or not TMobile puts it out in a timely manner is the real question since their so focused on android more than windows phone. They didn't even really advertise the release of the 925 sadly.

I saw plenty of ads about the 925 and the blogosphere filled the Internet.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I am hoping nokia and MS pick up the slack and release the updates for the 810. I have one too, and I love it, and I don't want to get rid of it simply because it doesn't have the software support behind it.

That's the only reason i'm on the fence right now about jumping to another device or completely jump back to Android where i originated lol... if it does come to our 810's mmmmman - it would be hella sweet (but that's only wishful thinking). However, i can't imagine how flawless this device will be if it does receive its update. To me, it will be the "complete" phone since it has everything that i'm looking for... Stellar battery life, above average camera, expandable memory to 64, removable battery, NFC.... etc.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site

hehe.. we can only "hope" my friend but i'm with ya.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon