Would you dump your Lumia 900 for Lumia 521?

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, the question is pretty much as the title says. Would you get rid of your 900 for a 521? I had the pleasure of holding t he 521and I have to say I wasn't too impressed by the feel and screen and just was wondering if someone had the chance to tinker with both. I love my 900 and it's been a trooper, even without a case and my busy life. I'm just wondering about the 521 because of the super good deal.

Blair Thiessen

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
You're going from a high end WP7 device to a entry level WP8 device. Some things are better but most are worse (screen, camera, no flash, no front camera, no LTE). The jump from a 900->521 only makes sense to me if it's to fill a gap for a later flagship WP8 device.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You're probably better off just getting a carrier unlock from ATT and bringing your 900 over. 521 is an entry device, and the only advantage is that you'll get access to all the newer apps and also more official apps. If that's what appeals to you more than having a flash (and a flash light) for your camera, better screen, and a unibody build, then that would probably be your better bet. Assuming you've been with ATT for a while, an unlock shouldn't be too difficult to get with a little fudging with ATT customer reps. If you go the unlock route, seems like some people have got LTE and MMS working at this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-900/227696-2.htm Of course your area must be a T-Mobile refarmed area.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Not me, but my buddy recently went from a 900 to 520 and overall his very happy with WP8. Sure the build isn't as high end, but his prefers the updates OS and size...but definitely notices slowdowns due to lack of ram.

St_Deborah

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not exactly switching to T-Mobile. I just kept seeing that the 521 is a great deal and wondered if I want to make the switch. However, I did get a chance to check it out again side by side with my 900 and it is horrid in comparison. Everything from screen resolution to camera, build to ram. I did see the 925 and that thing is nice. =) If I wasn't within a specific price range right now, I'd definitely go for something in the the 920 series, preferably a 920 because I do like my service.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm not exactly switching to T-Mobile. I just kept seeing that the 521 is a great deal and wondered if I want to make the switch. However, I did get a chance to check it out again side by side with my 900 and it is horrid in comparison. Everything from screen resolution to camera, build to ram. I did see the 925 and that thing is nice. =) If I wasn't within a specific price range right now, I'd definitely go for something in the the 920 series, preferably a 920 because I do like my service.

Well...... anyone who is not a member of our forums and was curious about the same things gets to see how this ends. Excellent post. A great endorsement for the 900 as well.

Hope you did see the 0 down deal from T-Mo for the 925. People on the thread say it is a great deal. Just a FYI, although it does sound like you may not want to leave AT&T.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-925/234922-%240-down-starting-tomorrow-925-a.html

Alteran195

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I myself purchased the Lumia 520 yesterday, and im pretty pleased with it for a $100 phone.

The build quality isn't as nice as the 900s, but its still quite solid, I actually prefer the interchangeable backs so I have the option to change its color at some point.

The camera isnt as good, but it isnt bad for an entry level phone.

I do miss the gorilla glass, but it isn't THAT noticeable, unless of course I drop it or something, the super sensitive screen is pretty awesome though.

The lack of clearblack display is a LOT more noticeable however, colors dont nearly pop as much as the do on the 900, and blacks arent even close to as good as the 900s.

I dont notice any resolution differences, as far as I know theyre both 800x480 so it looks just as good to me in that regard.

I really do like the 4" screen size, ive never liked bigger phones.

The 520 for me is serving its purpose, I bought it to test out Windows Phone 8, and so far some of the things that bugged me in 7 have been fixed in 8, so my next upgrade is gonna be an even harder choice now between an iPhone and a Nokia phone. Im hoping for another new Pureview windows phone by then since the 1020 was just amazing when I was playing with it in the Microsoft store.

weaksauce27

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I thought about switching from my 900 to a 520 last week but I just replaced the housing of the 900 and re-fell (made up word) in love with my phone.

Daviddlt126

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
In a heartbeat for the 520 w att or its older brother the 521. its a dual core device w windows 8, only thing missing will be screen size (the lower pixels resolution looks good on small screen) and camera flash. I really don't care for front cameras.

gettysburg11s

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
No, I'd still stick with my Lumia 900. Yes, the 520/21 has WP 8, but that's all it has. The specs are not as good, and no LTE. Also build quality is not as good. The only exception to this would be apps. If I needed WP 8 only apps, I'd have to dump my Lumia 900. So far, most of my app needs are fulfilled (except for Slacker Radio, which runs horribly on 7.8. Luckily, it runs great on my iPhone 5). As far as which WP 8 phone, I'd say the Lumia 720 if you don't need LTE, and the Lumia 920/25/28 if you do.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No I wouldn't. This late in the year I'll wait to see what's being offered in September or October. Using 7.8 is really starting to get old but I'd rather wait for the latest OS offering.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The 520 also is lacking a compass so apps like Nokia City Lense and other cool apps that use the compass will not work. That's a big deal breaker for me. The other things others have said, build quality, screen not as good, no gorilla glass (it also helps in keeping fingerprints off the screen), lack of ram. Ect ect.

Keep in mind, the win OS doesn't require top of the line processors to have a great experience. 520 would be great for someone that hasn't used a 900. But if you have I think you'll miss it.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, the question is pretty much as the title says. Would you get rid of your 900 for a 521? I had the pleasure of holding t he 521and I have to say I wasn't too impressed by the feel and screen and just was wondering if someone had the chance to tinker with both. I love my 900 and it's been a trooper, even without a case and my busy life. I'm just wondering about the 521 because of the super good deal.

I downsized from a 920 to 521! I cannot tell the difference that much! It much lighter and the screen resolution is not that bad compare to the 920. I kind of like the iPhone5 size which was my phone before the 920. So the 521 was perfect for me. I got a 64GB microSD card and am wait patiently for Microsoft to upgrade their software so that Apps can be store in the SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo