Is there an adapter for the 521 so I can play music in the car?

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
You can buy that stuff literally anywhere. Newegg, Monoprice, Amazon, Homegoods, Party Store...

P.S. If your car has bluetooth you can connect to the phone with that.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You can buy that stuff literally anywhere. Newegg, Monoprice, Amazon, Homegoods, Party Store...

P.S. If your car has bluetooth you can connect to the phone with that.

How do you get it to play the music over the Bluetooth? I have Bluetooth in my car and it will allow texts and calls over Bluetooth but not music.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That really depends on the car.

If its old, a cassette tape adapter is an option.

There are FM transmitters that transmit you music over FM to your car radio, a bit roundabout, but it works.

Some have USB ports you can plug into.

Some have a headphone jack you can plug into with a male-male cable.

Bluetooth? Not sure about that.

As for charging, just look for a USB car charger, they're not hard to find.

Sekyal

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Interesting item. It should work though in my experience in the past with FM Transmitters is that they work, but the quality isn't very good. It can sometimes be tough to find a station that doesn't have interference but if in a rural area more likely you'll be ok there.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It goes something like this: There are two main profiles that a Bluetooth device can have when we are talking about the use in a car. There is a phone profile and audio profile. Some cars come with one, some with both and some with neither.

Now, assuming that you do not have Bluetooth system that is integrated into the car already, or have only one that does phone calls - so the phone connects to it but you can not play music - then you will need a device that receives audio over Bluetooth and transfers the signal to the car stereo system. The best way to connect is to use what is called auxiliary or AUX input on the stereo as it is a wired connection. If your car has a small headphone jack it is likely the AUX port. If the stereo does not have the AUX port, it might be relatively simple to add. Look on Ebay or Amazon for the AUX harness for your car make and model and see what you find. Another possibility is that your car HAS an AUX port capability but it does not have a plug, in which case you can just buy that. Search for a forum for your car that usually has people that talk about this extensively.

If a wired AUX connection is not an option, then the other option is to get a Bluetooth receiver that then transmits a signal to your car's radio over some FM frequency. Its like running a small radio station for your car only. The drawback is that FM transmitters will usually mean some loss of quality but if it is the only option then it is probably a good option. :)

Oh yeah, you could also replace your cars stereo headunit with the one that has AUX and/or Bluetooth built in.

I have had some experiences with the AUX port plugged units.

For my car, which has no factory BT, I used a unit called Kinivo BTC450. It plugs into the AUX port and power (cig lighter port). Works great. I have to put my car stereo to AUX input and then I have calls, music and all through the BT.

For wife's car, which came with factory phone BT profile, I bought a Blackberry Music Gateway. Excellent quality and sound, like the Kinivo. So her phone connects to two devices - factory BT for phone and Blackberry for music.

What I like about both of those devices is that they do not have internal batteries so when I turn the car off, they are gone. When I turn the cars back on, the devices are powered, phones establish the Bluetooth channel and it is all just on seamlessly. I do not need to touch phone nor the Bluetooth device to turn them on/off or pair anything.

Oh yeah - another thing: whichever way you go, do yourself a favor and get a $10 device called Ground Loop Isolator. It plugs serially (so my Kinivo plugs into it and it plugs into the AUX port) and it gets rid of the buzz that many car's electrical systems create when an audio device is plugged into power and charging. It does not matter how expensive your car is, most car power suffers from this, do yourself a favor and get it when you get a BT audio receiver thing.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
It goes something like this: There are two main profiles that a Bluetooth device can have when we are talking about the use in a car. There is a phone profile and audio profile. Some cars come with one, some with both and some with neither.

Now, assuming that you do not have Bluetooth system that is integrated into the car already, or have only one that does phone calls - so the phone connects to it but you can not play music - then you will need a device that receives audio over Bluetooth and transfers the signal to the car stereo system. The best way to connect is to use what is called auxiliary or AUX input on the stereo as it is a wired connection. If your car has a small headphone jack it is likely the AUX port. If the stereo does not have the AUX port, it might be relatively simple to add. Look on Ebay or Amazon for the AUX harness for your car make and model and see what you find. Another possibility is that your car HAS an AUX port capability but it does not have a plug, in which case you can just buy that. Search for a forum for your car that usually has people that talk about this extensively.

If a wired AUX connection is not an option, then the other option is to get a Bluetooth receiver that then transmits a signal to your car's radio over some FM frequency. Its like running a small radio station for your car only. The drawback is that FM transmitters will usually mean some loss of quality but if it is the only option then it is probably a good option. :)

Oh yeah, you could also replace your cars stereo headunit with the one that has AUX and/or Bluetooth built in.

I have had some experiences with the AUX port plugged units.

For my car, which has no factory BT, I used a unit called Kinivo BTC450. It plugs into the AUX port and power (cig lighter port). Works great. I have to put my car stereo to AUX input and then I have calls, music and all through the BT.

For wife's car, which came with factory phone BT profile, I bought a Blackberry Music Gateway. Excellent quality and sound, like the Kinivo. So her phone connects to two devices - factory BT for phone and Blackberry for music.

What I like about both of those devices is that they do not have internal batteries so when I turn the car off, they are gone. When I turn the cars back on, the devices are powered, phones establish the Bluetooth channel and it is all just on seamlessly. I do not need to touch phone nor the Bluetooth device to turn them on/off or pair anything.

Oh yeah - another thing: whichever way you go, do yourself a favor and get a $10 device called Ground Loop Isolator. It plugs serially (so my Kinivo plugs into it and it plugs into the AUX port) and it gets rid of the buzz that many car's electrical systems create when an audio device is plugged into power and charging. It does not matter how expensive your car is, most car power suffers from this, do yourself a favor and get it when you get a BT audio receiver thing.

ok thanks man. That was one long reply but alot of good info. I do know my car has an auxiliary think in the console between the seats but thought someone else was indicating that would be able to just play it over Bluetooth with the built in.

I did not realize that cars had different profiles and depending on it would determine what we can do with it or having to buy other equipment. For the auxiliary way does it plug in and then transfer signal wireless to the phone itself or do you have to have it hard wired to the phone itself?

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What it sounds like is that you have a car with AUX input but not built-in BT, yes? So car has no BT capability now?

In that case, you want (IMO) something like the unit that I got (and honestly, I am not getting paid for advertising it, but it is simply a great solution for me). Something that will do both the phone and audio profile:

Amazon.com: Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX: MP3 Players & Accessories

Take a look at the photos of the unit. You will see that the unit plugs into two places:

- cig lighter plug for power
- 3.5mm audio jack

Once you plug that in (put the main unit on the visible place so the microphone can pick your voice up, the wire can usually be tucked in someplace) - then you need to turn your car on (or at least until the power plug has power) and then on your phone, go to Bluetooth settings and pair with the device. Once paired, you can press the button and either start/stop music (shot tap) or initiate voice commands (press and hold until it beeps). The phone can be in your pocket so no plugging in needed. Obviously - your car stereo will need to be set to AUX input.

If you need to charge your phone in the car - you do that separately from the unit, not really related.

Now - my suggestion is to get the ground loop isolator also as you are highly likely to experience a hum/hissing sound if you try to use a BT device while charging the phone, possibly other times too (as the BT unit is "powered" also). I bought this for both cars and it works great: Amazon.com: PAC Ground Loop Isolator for 3.5 MM Applications: Automotive

Makes sense?

The unit itself (the little circle thingy) has a microphone and a few buttons on it. The main button let's you

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a Griffin brand BT adapter that works like that. Plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a plug for the aux input. The user part of the unit is combo microphone and button.

I use it with my 521 to listen to music or audio books. Works adequately, but not as smoothly as the iPhone 4S I used to have paired with it. For some reason, WP is just more hinky about connecting and starting playback.

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How long is the microphone cord on that Kinivo device? Or more specifically, say I have AUX and light ports right next to each other, if I plug in there how far away can the microphone be? It looks like there is a Y in the cord so I'd get the length of both the microphone cord and the AUX/lighter cords added together. I'm just wondering if I could run it from inside my center console all the way up onto the dash somewhere.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
To give you an idea, see the photo I took below on how my setup looks like. Note a few things:

- I have glued the Kinivo unit pretty "high" because I wanted to give the mic the best chance of hearing me without the need to lower my head to speak to it.
- The wires are very thin and I have tucked them in to the left of the console
- I have installed a non-OEAM HD radio unit (the one at the bottom) so this is not stock setup. Kinivo plugs into power under/behind the HD radio unit, as I have spliced the cig power adapter so I can use it for the radar detector. So in fact, Kinivo is kind of "hardwired" into my car now as I cannot easily plug it out to measure the length of the wire.

But I think this gives you an idea of how long this is. I think all such units (Belkin, Kinivo etc.) have a comparable length of wires which should be adequate for most applications, IMO. It was not a problem for me and there was some more "slack" left if I needed it.

Kinivo.jpg

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My car does have built in Bluetooth and am able to have my calls and txt go through it just not music.

Then you need something that does the audio profile only, like the Blackberry Music Gateway device that I use in my wife's car. It will then show as a different device that phone will pair with and will connect to two BT devices at the same time.

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Then you need something that does the audio profile only, like the Blackberry Music Gateway device that I use in my wife's car. It will then show as a different device that phone will pair with and will connect to two BT devices at the same time.

ok cool I will have to check that out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes