Moving from HTC One to HTC 8XT - Have questions!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Little history...I've had WM 6 (Treo Pro), Palm Pre/Pixi, etc, and a couple Android's (Photon 4G w Lapdock), Echo & HTC One.

I'm a Sprint customer, and plan to stay with Sprint. I'm contemplating giving my son my HTC One and picking up the 8XT (probably).

I'm reading threads, concerned about the 8GB memory limit? I generally install a few apps, but with the added SD card storage, can my photos & movies be stored there by default?

I'm reading about some memory issues in WP8? (and also some debate about its resolution?)

All in all, I know I'm on a WP site, what issues/features am I really gonna miss when coming over? HTC Blinkfeed? Zoe?

I see that Amazon Music hasn't made it yet? That's probably my most often used (missing) app...

I'm not here to stir the pot, but I'd like to go in with eyes wide open...

Thanks guys!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You can upload pics and movies to SkyDrive if im not mistaken and the memory issue or the other storage issue should be fixed in a matter of day unless 8xt already has gdr2 then your good .something new going on wp8 everyday don't miss out!

killakiloz

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Photos and movies can absolutely be stored on SD card. Other storage is still a problem, but somewhat resolved with GDR2, which im 99% sure the 8XT ships with. I use an HTC 8x and love it.....just don't expect alot of cool HTC exclusives!

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I know the answer to this guys, but I don't suppose I can continue to have my photos backup to Google+ automatically?

I basically want a phone that works...now, keep in mind I have zero complaints about the One...its a great phone...just have the mind to try something different.

I know its a change, so I'll have some growing pains, but I'm up for it!

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure I know the answer to this guys, but I don't suppose I can continue to have my photos backup to Google+ automatically?

I basically want a phone that works...now, keep in mind I have zero complaints about the One...its a great phone...just have the mind to try something different.

I know its a change, so I'll have some growing pains, but I'm up for it!

No Google+, but does back up to Skydrive auto. The 8XT does have GDR2 from the get go. When you put in the SD it asks if you want to use it for Movies and Photos. You just annot install apps on the sd. The screen looks great.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

I should have mine on Wednesday, that is if Let's Talk is accurate on their shipping estimates.

Honestly, I'm hoping for a phone that just works, that I don't have to change 20 settings to get it to work the way I think it should. As a free upgrade, I expect I'll need every day of those 14 days to get used to it and make sure I can stick with it.

I already have an outlook email address, but I'd like to stick with my gmail account as it is my main address. Any reason I can't continue to do that?

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
You can keep your Gmail. Just make sure to set it up as Exchange server instead of the Google option. Use google as domain m.google.com as server, and whole email address as user name.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Got the 8XT last night.

This is a nice phone! Seems well made, very tightly put together, seems to be a very good quality device.

The reviews seems to dog the screen as being average, but I find it to be quite nice! I always thought the One was too big for my personal tastes, I like a phone I can have in my pocket when driving, and I was always taking the One out for comfort...the 8XT is quite nice.

I am currently in learning curve hell right now, trying to train my brain to the WP8 methodology. Things just aren't 'clicking' like I'd hoped...lots of hidden 'long press' options that are invisible unless you just 'try it'.

Otherwise, I really haven't encountered any serious 'deal breakers' for me...but for the most part...I like phones that I don't have to manage...I want it to 'just work'. (HTC One was very good at that, 8XT/WP8 seems to be good too.)

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I may have just found my 'Achilles Heel' with this device. Missed calls. I have it on vibrate, and have missed, now 5, calls over 2 days while sitting at my desk. Phone never wakes or vibrates! I only see that I've just missed 2 calls when turning the phone on...

My other phones never had that issue...anyone else seeing either a reduced signal strength with this phone, or the behavior I'm seeing with theirs?

I really like this phone, perfect size, OS seems rock solid, and I haven't had any 'deal breakers' as far as missing apps, there's always been an alternative.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been testing my missed calls issue all morning...including 2 additional missed calls.

Here's what I'm finding out...even though its set to 'Ring + Vibrate', with the ringer volume at 5/30, the ringer works every time, however the Vibrate is about 50/50 as to whether it does vibrate or not.

When it does vibrate, it gives 2 short 1/2 second vibrates, and then never vibrates again. So...if the phone rings for 30 seconds, the vibrate never goes off again after the first 2 short bursts.

Is this 8XT behavior, WP8 behavior? Can I change that setting somewhere?

Jonathan Cable

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been testing my missed calls issue all morning...including 2 additional missed calls.

Here's what I'm finding out...even though its set to 'Ring + Vibrate', with the ringer volume at 5/30, the ringer works every time, however the Vibrate is about 50/50 as to whether it does vibrate or not.

When it does vibrate, it gives 2 short 1/2 second vibrates, and then never vibrates again. So...if the phone rings for 30 seconds, the vibrate never goes off again after the first 2 short bursts.

Is this 8XT behavior, WP8 behavior? Can I change that setting somewhere?
Sounds like it is just your phone. I would try hard reset after checking the settings and if you have the same issue get it replaced. I am not having any issues besides the voicemail notification which a fix is being worked on.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
What I'm finding is that yeah, its working correctly. If on Vibrate Only, it vibrates all the time, if its on Ring + Vibrate, I only get the 2 quick vibrates, and I was expecting it to also vibrate all the time. I found another thread on Microsoft support where that's working as designed (which I think is a mistake).

I'm going to keep working to learn WP8...so far so good. Thanks for checking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss