Htc 8s Stuck on Gears / Cogs after possible messaged up firmware update.

crea2k

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I changed a screen on an HTC 8S today, not usually a problem, before I shut down the phone it said there was an update. I shut it down, changed the screen and the new one works fine. The phone loads up and im not sure if I clipped the update button with my finger or not but it then ran out of power. Plugged it back in and now all I get is, Htc logo, and then the gears going round and round, so far I have tried :

Power button, regular turn off and on - Still get gears icon after restarting
Pulled the battery connector - Still get gears icon after restarting
Tried power, volume down, camera button - Still get gears icon after restarting
Power button + Volume Up - Brings up the lightning / gear icon (firmware update page, so iv read possibly ?)
Power + Down Volume - Goes to a page with barcodes on it
Leaving it for HOURS plugged into the charger - Gear icons constantly

How can I re flash this phone as its driving me insane ?, I just want to do it oldskool and put the firmware on my pc, plug in phone and flash it back to normal but cannot find any software anywhere that I can do this with or any articles on how to recover after a firmware upgrade goes wrong?. I see its possible to flash the Nokias running Windows Mobile, but cant seem to find anything at all on how to do it with the HTC 8S.

crea2k

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I forgot to add, when on the lightning + gear icon page I also tried the hard reset where you press the combo, like power, up down etc, and it reboots and then just brings back the gears.

crea2k

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Ok, after about a whole day of looking I finally solved the problem, anyone that is having problems the 8S and needs to reflash it you need the following file. After searching various foreign sites and using Chrome to translate it into half english I downloaded this and it works perfectly. Its taken my stuck on gears 8S back to factory settings so that its all working again !.
Search for this on google : RUU_RIO_U_APO_00_HTC_Europe_1.04.401.03_1.11b.3054.25_10.13.30_RETAIL_ENC_RELEASE.exe
You will come across a lot of sites where its been taken down, but eventually I came across one that still had it up. All you do is put your phone into the screen with the barcodes on it by holding I think vol up and down and press power. Then once its in the barcode screen just run the downloaded file and follow the instructions. It took my phone about 10 mins to re flash, but now it works fine, god bless the internet !.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss