How to clean rubberized back?

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Just got my phone and I love it. I didn't want a fixed case because I think the phone looks great. So I bought a leather pouch. Well after only a few hours it looks like the leather case is staining the rubberized back of the phone!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove such a stain from the back without damaging or discoloring it?

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
re:

Hmmm. I have the 8x. But from what I know they have the same backing. And it tends to absorb things easily. Kind of a flaw. Not sure of a way that wouldn't risk ruining the phone. I would recommend getting a case that has a clear coat on it so the dye or stain, color will be sealed and won't be absorbed into the phone.

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

Acetone nail polish remover as well as a magic eraser both helped take the darker parts of the stains out. The corners are proving the hardest to clean.

I guess I'm going to return this leather case (though I preferred to have it) and get the official Sprint HTC 8XT clear case for now instead...

grizzlyaddams

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
re:

You have to be in very bright light, like in sunlight or at the office, but I can still see some of the black smears following the contours of the phone. It's really a shame because I am so meticulous with my devices. The frosted clear official case from Sprint obscures it luckily, but I know it's there and it drives me somewhat batty.

Is it possible to order a replacement back cover?

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
re:

Is it possible to order a replacement back cover?

It may not be possible to find one just yet, but it comes off easily enough. I can see some company making them, or able to source it from HTC directly. Maybe even being able to find a really cheap, non-functional 8XT in a few months with a clean back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss