Lumia 521 FREE Wi-Fi calling is not free,all was TMO marketing BS

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know how to set WiFi!
Please just answer my question! "Are you charge for Wi-Fi calling or not"
I left TMO about 4 months back because of their bad network at my workplace. When I talked last with a TMO representative last month, here is what he said - "WiFi calling is to enable better network for you and not to provide free calling." so technically, it will use your wifi network instead of using T mobile phone network (and hence they are not giving you anything extra) but instead asking you to use your own wifi AND in addition, your minutes (or money) will still be charged. so to me it seems "its nothing free" as advertised some places.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 521 Wi-Fi calling is not working.

T-Mobile has made it clear from the beginning that WiFi Calling uses the minutes on your plan just like regular calling does. I think people read into "WiFi Calling" that it is free, even though T-Mobile doesn't claim that.

It is a great function, and I loved having it when I traveled abroad - I was able to use my US phone number on WiFi just like usual, without any extra charges of any kind.

tulak

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I left TMO about 4 months back because of their bad network at my workplace. When I talked last with a TMO representative last month, here is what he said - "WiFi calling is to enable better network for you and not to provide free calling." so technically, it will use your wifi network instead of using T mobile phone network (and hence they are not giving you anything extra) but instead asking you to use your own wifi AND in addition, your minutes (or money) will still be charged. so to me it seems "its nothing free" as advertised some places.

Thank you. Well sad.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Just to clarify, it uses ANY WiFi you can connect to, not just your home or work. Just in case someone thought it needed to be registered by WiFi network or something.

it seems "its nothing free" as advertised some places.
Which places? Where does T-Mobile advertise this as free calling? EDIT: oh, two years ago, when they had a completely different billing system that has since changed.

tulak

May 1, 2013
Visit site

T-Mobile has made it clear from the beginning that WiFi Calling uses the minutes on your plan just like regular calling does. I think people read into "WiFi Calling" that it is free, even though T-Mobile doesn't claim that.

It is a great function, and I loved having it when I traveled abroad - I was able to use my US phone number on WiFi just like usual, without any extra charges of any kind.

Thanks for post.100% yes is a geat function.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I bet some sleazy salesmen throw in the "free" phrase as a substitute for "included in plan". It's always a pet peeve of mine. Technically, I guess they can get away with saying "free WiFi calling" when they mean "WiFi calling functionality for no extra charge" (as opposed to, for example, AT&T where you have to get separate hardware to connect to your router to use WiFi calling). It's like when stores advertise "Buy 2, get 1 free". Um, no it's not free... it costs me money to buy those two! IMO it should be illegal to market something you have to pay for as free... but that's a side rant. :)

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Services:
Block MSG SUB
Free Wi-Fi Calling
Block Content SUB
Block Pay Per Use Web
REQ Plus 2GB Data Classic

We don't pay for WFC with our fam plan it also does not count against your minutes either.

buncherm

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have experienced a very similar issue with mine. I had called T-mobile just earlier this week and asked the service guy if I could get the $30 plan with 100 min of talk and unlimited text and web with free Wifi on a Lumia 521 and if Wifi calling would count against my minutes. I was told using wifi calling would NOT count against my minutes. Later on I found this not to be the case after I started using my phone. In an online chat I found out that WiFi calling not using minutes is only for "post pay" plans and my plan was not available for post pay, nor is there a similar plan. I then called T-mobile again because it's hard to yell in a chat session and I was transferred a few times and was actually again told that it should work for me and not use up my minutes. So I test it out again and sure enough it used my minutes! So I was lied to twice about it. They really need to do a better job about informing their reps about what there plans actually include and DON'T include. I still feel like they owe me some retribution for the misinformation. They eventually, at least, credited me back all my minutes after I had to scream at a couple of service guys after a second online chat. Completely unacceptable.

Currently I am trying to get the Spare Phone app to work with Google Voice, if that doesn't work I will try the $3 Skype subscription for outgoing calls. I really wish T-mobile just had a way to add on truly Free WiFi calling for like an extra 5 bucks a month, or a similar plan for post pay. Wifi calling does not tax their infastructure as much as cellular calling does and it should not count equally against minutes.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I doubt you'll see an option for WiFi calling that doesn't count against your minutes. The problem is that the only monthly plan that has an issue is the $30 plans (either the one with data or the non-smartphone 1500 minute/text plan). Since these plans are already so inexpensive, I don't think T-Mobile sees a value in adding more features. All the other monthly plans, prepaid and postpaid, have unlimited minutes, so it doesn't matter if WiFi calling uses minutes.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have experienced a very similar issue with mine. I had called T-mobile just earlier this week and asked the service guy if I could get the $30 plan with 100 min of talk and unlimited text and web with free Wifi on a Lumia 521 and if Wifi calling would count against my minutes. I was told using wifi calling would NOT count against my minutes. Later on I found this not to be the case after I started using my phone. In an online chat I found out that WiFi calling not using minutes is only for "post pay" plans and my plan was not available for post pay, nor is there a similar plan. I then called T-mobile again because it's hard to yell in a chat session and I was transferred a few times and was actually again told that it should work for me and not use up my minutes. So I test it out again and sure enough it used my minutes! So I was lied to twice about it. They really need to do a better job about informing their reps about what there plans actually include and DON'T include. I still feel like they owe me some retribution for the misinformation. They eventually, at least, credited me back all my minutes after I had to scream at a couple of service guys after a second online chat. Completely unacceptable.

Currently I am trying to get the Spare Phone app to work with Google Voice, if that doesn't work I will try the $3 Skype subscription for outgoing calls. I really wish T-mobile just had a way to add on truly Free WiFi calling for like an extra 5 bucks a month, or a similar plan for post pay. Wifi calling does not tax their infastructure as much as cellular calling does and it should not count equally against minutes.

First, im surprised not to see the T-Mobile support page on Wifi Calling from this year pop up here (Wi-Fi Calling | T-Mobile Support), and if it did, i overlooked it.

Second, before "Uncarrier", Post-Pay plans had unlimited minutes on Wifi calling, included limited minute plans. however, as of Uncarrier, all plans include unlimited talk and text, so such point is moot. However, Prepaid always has had wifi calling minutes charged to the account as far as ive known. And considering the $30 tier is the ONLY plan w/o unlimited minutes, t-mobile probably doesnt think much of it.

Its not that you were willfully lied to, its that some reps are not aware that wifi calling now deducts minutes, since only those on the $30 prepaid plans have a set amount of minutes and notice such deduction, with everyone else on other tiers (pre and post pay) being unaffected.

mabecane

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I have used Wifi Calling for a month, I have a prepaid account $30 100 minutes unlim Data and messages. I can only use Wifi Calling at home since I get no whatsoever signal from T-mobile. So it's great to be to make calls with Wifi calling. They do deduct my calls minutes but my account does not show data usage while on Wifi calling. I know I have unlimited data but getting online at home does not shows at all only when I'm on cellular.
So it's a great thing for me.But... the Wifi calling app is a little buggy,it needs some improvement. IT works for me at home but it sometime takes time before the App actually gets activated for me to make a call, sometimes 2 minutes other time 15 or 20 minutes. Then the icon turns green. But for some reason It does not affect my ability to get online on the phone whether the Wifi calling is activated or not. I can get on youtube when the icon is red telling me "not able to connect" so voila!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I have used Wifi Calling for a month, I have a prepaid account $30 100 minutes unlim Data and messages. I can only use Wifi Calling at home since I get no whatsoever signal from T-mobile. So it's great to be to make calls with Wifi calling. They do deduct my calls minutes but my account does not show data usage while on Wifi calling. I know I have unlimited data but getting online at home does not shows at all only when I'm on cellular.
So it's a great thing for me.But... the Wifi calling app is a little buggy,it needs some improvement. IT works for me at home but it sometime takes time before the App actually gets activated for me to make a call, sometimes 2 minutes other time 15 or 20 minutes. Then the icon turns green. But for some reason It does not affect my ability to get online on the phone whether the Wifi calling is activated or not. I can get on youtube when the icon is red telling me "not able to connect" so voila!

That's because data WiFi and the WiFi Calling are two different things entirely. The WiFi Calling depends on your WiFi data connection, not the other way around. The data WiFi connection has nothing to do with your carrier, in fact you can use the WiFi data on the phone without any subscription at all.

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I dont see the problem unless you have the 30 dollar plan.

I have the 50 dollar one, yes its more but I would blow through 100 minutes with in a week or a few days.

I tried wifi calling earlier, it didnt work, I added my 911 info and I will try it again after the OTA update :p

sborge

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
FYI, Update on Tmobile lie.

I do have a Post Paid account with Tmobile and it is false advertising, I went international and received a signal with Orange Cellular service at the country that I was staying, connected my device to the Wifi and thought that I was good to go, I had all the latest software on the phone, I even called them to tell them that I was traveling and were, they said that I will not have any issues on receiving or making calls for FREE as long as I was connected to WIFI, BIG LIE!!!!, they phone was never disconnected from wifi, I find this out after I get the big bill from them and they claimed that I was never connected to wifi, they even told me that if somebody calls you and you do not answer and it goes to voicemail, you still get charge $0.20 per minute. In all is is not worth the money, just buy an unlock phone and pick up a SIM Card from the local carrier, if there is a way to turn off the call receiving feature on the phone, do it, or tell your friends not to call you when you go out international.

I use it on the USA and it does not work, so it is a big ripoff.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to resurrect this old thread from the grave, t-mobile's plan for 30 or 50 dollar plan has unlimited talk and text; for that in my opinion makes wifi calling pretty much useless. Unless of course you are in a area with constant cellular signal problems then this may come in handy. So far I personally have not used it.

hawonjung

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I glimpsed through but I have not had any issue with WiFi calling when I'm out of country as long as T-Mobile Sim was in my phone, connected to WiFi network, and WiFi calling is enabled and indicated that I am on it. It beeps whenever I dialed out and received calls. I used in Europe, southeast Asia, and central America without any charge...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12