Sound distortions after GDR2 update !

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Has anyone noticed problems with sounds on their 8S after GDR2 update ?
I've noticed already a few times such thing that after playing Angry Birds or Bullet Asylum (with these games I have tested) for a few minutes the sound gets distorted, some kind of - I don't know - screeching is audible.
The same is for watching YouTube videos.
Only application restart solves the problem.

I'm absolutely sure this has appeared right after phone got updated to GDR2.
Right now I'm trying to pinpoint the problem if it's maybe OS related or HTC specific (Beats Audio maybe) ?

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the device speaker or headphones?

I have checked this yesterday, both with device speaker and headphones, with Beats Audio on and off. All the same.
Beats Audio update (3.5.0.0 for now) did not resolve the problem.
I have also tried to factory reset the device and the problem is still there. With games and myTube app, too.
Yesterday I have recorded an audio clip with this "special effect" and I have sent it to HTC as a normal problem report from their website.
Have to wait for their response... But it's strange, nobody else has noticed this ? Maybe I'm the only one playing Angry Birds on the 8S ;-)

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I have noticed something similar. About three or four times. From time to time sound "lags". Once even my morning alarm clock was distorted. So
It must be definitely software issue, after GDR2 I recorded a video. Microphone is all okay, all other videos are fine, but this got distorted sound.
Quadra, do you get something like this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/38rsbjwpl1cen8w/WP_20130727_007.mp4

Yes, exactly, this is it ! The same distortion.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
HTC replied...

"Please send the phone for a repair."

At the moment I have no idea what to do next, I replied to this that this is most likely not a HW fault, but the faulty software as the problems appeared after GDR2 update.
Waiting for their move.

raysaraptor

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed any distortion. The sound is much more dynamic when connected to my car stereo through an auxiliary cable. Before gdr2 I couldn't notice any difference when turning Beats on or off, but now the music is much more defined when I have it on. I hear certain sounds in the recordings of songs I play that I normally could only distinguish when using my Beats headphones and that I didn't hear before when played through my car stereo. Overall I'm so happy they put out a good update for the Beats feature, for my device at least.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed any distortion. The sound is much more dynamic when connected to my car stereo through an auxiliary cable. Before gdr2 I couldn't notice any difference when turning Beats on or off, but now the music is much more defined when I have it on. I hear certain sounds in the recordings of songs I play that I normally could only distinguish when using my Beats headphones and that I didn't hear before when played through my car stereo. Overall I'm so happy they put out a good update for the Beats feature, for my device at least.

It does not appear during music playback or listening to FM radio.
I have noticed it only during gameplay and watching videos (both YouTube and downloaded locally to the memory card)

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE :
I have contacted two HTC service agents (one for Central Europe, another one for Northern).
Both requested me to send the phone for a repair.
So... I think there's no other way, but another option would be to wait for GDR3 and then see if the situation will change.
Personally I'd avoid sending the phone for a repair as I'm pretty sure I'll get it back with "no fault" information.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE :
I am working as software engineer at Ericsson, so one of my responsibilities is software testing. So I did some testing ;-)

The GDR2 update is installed on HTC 8S in two phases from what I have noticed :
- first comes the Operating System update
- then comes the Firmware update which enables the FM radio, for example.

What I have done is that I have reflashed my HTC 8S with the ROM version before the GDR2.
Then, I got a notification about new software update for the phone.
I have done this first update (the OS one).
... and I have not allowed the second one to download and install.

The result is that my phone has the GDR2 Operating System release onboard but with not updated firmware. So...
- no FM radio
- but NO SOUND DISTORTIONS in games and videos !!!

Now, the hardest part. How to make HTC to look into this ? I have tried to get their attention on FB, but for now without bigger success.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm on GDR2 w/ updated firmware and I don't have any distortion. The HTC 8S is my best sounding phone (the others are Lumia 610 and Xperia V) and I use it as my music player.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Sad fact is that even GDR3 did not change anything. The problem is still there.

Seems that HTC is unable to provide corrected firmware for the phone. It's certainly not the OS. Well... I think it can be the time to say goodbye to HTC and get other brand... Maybe I'll wait for SONY to release their own WP handset ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon