Battery Life after GDR2/Amber

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I too experienced a sharp drop in battery life after the update and a full charge. 100% at 12:00 AM last night to 22% at 7:00 AM this morning.
I turned off my phone this morning and rebooted it and connected it to a charger. Its 100% now. Will try the Air Plane Mode followed by reboot method now to see if it helps any.
I just have a few apps enabled for background tasks, LTE and wifi enabled as well.

The above method worked. The phone probably needed just a reboot to get things cranking along efficiently.
Battery life has been as good as ever if not better. Great job Nokia.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The above method worked. The phone probably needed just a reboot to get things cranking along efficiently.
Battery life has been as good as ever if not better. Great job Nokia.
Yeah I pretty much did the same thing. The update seemed to chew up some battery (not unexpected, really). But after a full charge and a restart everything went back to normal. I don't think it's any better. But it's not any worse. So seeing as I was satisfied with the battery life, I've got nothing to complain about! :smile:

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
After one day of poor battery and one day of normal battery, today it started to dive down again so I did a soft reset. So far not very impressed...

Aaron Colen

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is much improved.

Before the update I'd be lucky to have 50% by the time I got home from work (off the charger at 7AM, home by 5:30PM) if I kept my usage to a bare minimum (light texting and 1 or 2 calls).

For the 2nd day in a row (/since updating) I have 70% left and I've been playing games and messing with the camera off and on all day (9.5 hours since I pulled it off the charger).

mattinwpg

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the same problem here. Glance on, double-tap off. Phone is in my pocket for the majority of the day and it seems like the L920 is smart enough to turn off the screen in there, since I can see the glance time pop on when I pull the phone out. Heat-sink is warm to the touch after not doing much of anything (checking WP7 News, checking 6Tag, few texts) and the battery seems to be draining like a leaky hose.

Initially I was worried it was 6Tag, since that's really the only app I've recently installed (other than nokia smart and pro cam, which wouldn't impact this), but glad to see it's not. I'm trying the flight mode on - reset - flight more off plan, and we'll see how that goes. If that fails I'll try a 100%-to-0% battery drain, and hope that works...

Cautiously optimistic!

mrzees

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm having similar problems, Got the update from Rogers Canada, the first day I really toyed with my 920 so I can't say but by the second day the battery drained really quickly. After restarting the phone and charging to 100% I noticed the battery improved immensely. I managed 1.5 days of moderate usage. Something I never got out of my 920. By the third day onward the battery life has become worse. I charged it to 100% but within two hours it had drained to 74%. Even when putting the phone on the charger its taking and extremely long time to fully charge.
Frustrating!

pedalman56

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I too have begun to notice some real battery drain lately. I got the update from Verizon. I am down 30% after coming off the charger this morning and I've done nothing but check email a time or two and receive one short call. I do not have anything extra running when I'm in the office, yet here I sit with 69%.

pedalman56

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay, so on a lark, I shut it down for about an hour. Turned it back on and charged to 100%. I made it through a day of moderate use and I was sitting at 86%. Didn't charge and just let it sit overnight and woke up to 79%. Don't have any explanation for this, but it certainly seems to have gotten better.

Relief

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Battery life here with 920 definitely improved. Before there was a steady decline of 3-5% an hour. With Amber about 2% an hour with use. Without use 2% whole night.

Chris Sandiford

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Amber enabled 4G speeds and if there are no 4G masts in your area, your phone will waste battery looking for non-existent connections.
Best to switch to 3G again if you definitely know you're not LTE-enabled - this could help save battery.

From AAWP.com

If you are on a non-4G contract (e.g. many of those on Vodafone and O2), or if you are in an area that has no 4G coverage (check coverage with your operator), you may improve your battery life by setting the "highest connection speed" to "3G" rather than "4G".

In many cases there will be no difference in battery life (in theory your SIM card configuration should stop non-4G contract phones looking for LTE signals). However, it is something worth checking if your are experiencing poor battery life, especially after installing a software update (note that the Amber software update should improve battery by between 5% and 10%).

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Amber enabled 4G speeds and if there are no 4G masts in your area, your phone will waste battery looking for non-existent connections.
Best to switch to 3G again if you definitely know you're not LTE-enabled - this could help save battery.

From AAWP.com
this makes perfect sense. when i'm at home my battery last for days, I have an LTE tower almost in my back yard. when im at work I get about 1 day, LTE goes in and out 3g goes in and out and reception sucks altogether. still, overall battery life has improved with the update.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
this makes perfect sense. when i'm at home my battery last for days, I have an LTE tower almost in my back yard. when im at work I get about 1 day, LTE goes in and out 3g goes in and out and reception sucks altogether. still, overall battery life has improved with the update.

Shouldn't being connected to WiFi help too? That's what I do when am home and still my battery life is not as good as it used to be. I've tried the soft reset and didn't help. Guess I'll try that flight mode trick next and see what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Dude you're a genius! That flight mode trick really works. I've noticed a big improvement today after trying it. How did you come up with that?

What does this exactly achieve? Better battery life?
If I understand correctly (which I probably haven't) you charge the phone, turn the airplane mode and then reboot the phone.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
What does this exactly achieve? Better battery life?
If I understand correctly (which I probably haven't) you charge the phone, turn the airplane mode and then reboot the phone.

Yes, better battery life. After the amber update some of us are experiencing a more than usual battery drain. You know what they say, whatever works!

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Dude you're a genius! That flight mode trick really works. I've noticed a big improvement today after trying it. How did you come up with that?

As much as I actually am a genius and would like to take credit for it, I can't... ;) I just read it somewhere, I think it was on these forums :)

Nemanja 1

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Let me make a small intro for my prob and your solution. :)

I used my Lumia 720 for two weeks, and battery was flawless.
Updated to Amber, still flawless.
Then, i received three updates for "extras + info" , whatsapp and can't remember the third one.
After that, drain began. Then i tried your method with airplane mode, and so far it's working like before.
This is first hour after fix though. :)

So, my question is: is your battery ok now?

If it's not, i just pray that we all get Black update ASAP...and that fix will be included.

Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb