Phone running a little hot and battery drains quickly

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Phone will run hot if you use it a lot, espically playing games..

Battery Drain - check settings->applications->background tasks-> turn off all app that you do need running in background. Also go into apps themselves and turn features off that you do need. Open each and every app that you have.

Did you recently update to gdr2/amber ? You will most likely need to go through each setting and turn things off that you do not use.

What are the main apps that you use ?

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't play any games. Only 2 apps have background on - weather and my account. I hit the update about a week or 10 days ago. This issue has only come up the last 3-4 days.

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
did a hard reset to make sure it wasn't a rogue app i'd downloaded...and battery is still draining quickly. i'm talking about 7-9 hours of very minimal use. warranty issue?

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
did a hard reset to make sure it wasn't a rogue app i'd downloaded...and battery is still draining quickly. i'm talking about 7-9 hours of very minimal use. warranty issue?

I tall depends on what you are doing.
Playing games drain my battery really bad.
Streaming video not as bad.

I had my phone be at 20% after 20 hours of it being on.
12 hours of sleep mode(unplugged at 93%)
When I woke up it was 89%,then I used it all day minimal use and was at 20% 8 hours later or so

jagu

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Yup, the same exact issue with me after the GDR2 update! I don't know if its a faulty battery or the update caused something... I have hard reset my phone and also turned off pretty much everything under settings and even if i leave the phone unused the battery drains in like 5 or 6 hours. Before the update, my phone used to last about 2 days of minimal use... Not sure what is going on here. I did notice that after turning OFF data, and just using the phone on WIFI i get pretty decent battery life but still not as good as it used to be before the update.

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I tall depends on what you are doing.
Playing games drain my battery really bad.
Streaming video not as bad.

I had my phone be at 20% after 20 hours of it being on.
12 hours of sleep mode(unplugged at 93%)
When I woke up it was 89%,then I used it all day minimal use and was at 20% 8 hours later or so

absolutely NO games played, NO streaming videos. literally, MINIMAL use and it lasts maybe 7 or 8 hours. completely unacceptable. will contact nokia CS tomorrow.

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
so...Nokia's warranty process requires the consumer to send in via mail their phone for like 2 weeks, so you are without your phone. That makes sense.

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
so...Nokia's warranty process requires the consumer to send in via mail their phone for like 2 weeks, so you are without your phone. That makes sense.

That is actually standard across most manufacturers regardless of the os.

If you ask, they may send you a temporary phone to use while you wait for yours to get back from repair. At least I know Samsung does.

Sent from the stars...

AndrewNZ

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you have double tap to wake or glance screen enabled?

Turn them both OFF and see how it looks then, double tap to wake appears especially power hungry

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
hmm if it helps RIGHT after I turned on/got mine, I went straight to update.
I let it update and then downloaded everything else.

Maybe it could be an app?
Maybe resetting/restoring your phone will fix it,again just a suggestion.

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
That is actually standard across most manufacturers regardless of the os.
If you ask, they may send you a temporary phone to use while you wait for yours to get back from repair. At least I know Samsung does.

I was clearly upset while chatting with CS and she didn't offer anything. I don't get it - what do they expect you to do while your phone is gone? Buy another one?

Do you have double tap to wake or glance screen enabled?
Turn them both OFF and see how it looks then, double tap to wake appears especially power hungry

521 doesn't have either, does it?

hmm if it helps RIGHT after I turned on/got mine, I went straight to update.
I let it update and then downloaded everything else.

Maybe it could be an app?
Maybe resetting/restoring your phone will fix it,again just a suggestion.

A couple days ago I did a hard reset, which didn't solve the issue. Checked for updates while with CS today, phone is up to date. Is there a way to go back to the prior OS version?

SlantNGo

May 13, 2013
Visit site
My battery life improved significantly after upgrading to Amber. Previously I was draining at ~4-5% per hour, and after Amber, it's been down to ~3%.

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
Wow glad I found this thread. My wife's 521 has been draining like crazy since around the time she updated to GDR2 as well. Last night she went to sleep with 69% remaining and 7 hours later it had shut itself off due to the battery being empty! This was on a fresh reboot so no apps were open etc. Also nothing running in the background (had turned it all off to see what would happen).

I'm pretty upset with Nokia/Microsoft right now as just 2 days ago my 925 blue screened and is now bricked...

illyc

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
first of next week i'm sending mine in for service.....we'll see what happens. in the meantime since nokia is taking my phone, i guess i'll go buy another one at walmart and then return it......f'in stupid.

molimelight

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I too am experiencing sudden battery drain after the update. I was trying to find the exact date that the update was pushed but I don't see the date anywhere. In my battery app I can trace the onset to the 27th of August. Prior to the 27th I was draining at 5.5% per hour. Now it's 15 to 20% or more per hour. I've uninstalled any of my more recent apps and have only three things that I allow to operate in the background. Weather Radar Tile, CNN and the Battery APP. I had all three on the phone prior to the update and well before the sudden draining I'm having now. I'm blocking everything else I'm allowed to block. The phone is also warm. I haven't tried a hard reset as I see from above that others have tried it and it didn't change anything.

1) Does anyone know if there's away to go back to the previous version prior to the update to at least test the possibility if it's related to the update?

2) Does anyone have any kind of service ticket going on this or made any headway in isolating it to a specific app? I tried to see if I could uninstall Data Sense as that is what I suspected it was, but you can't uninstall it or block it from background tasks.

Push comes to shove, I'll do what illyc is doing and send it in and buy another one from Wally World and return it if necessary. Too bad WP8 & Nokia don't have "Restore Points." It's a shame because I've really loved the phone and the OS up to this point!

jms_209

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone actually done a full reset of the phone, as in "when you got it" condition?
I remember yesterday using some gbc emulator, I had 80% at the time.
It has know problms of it draining batteries unless you restart the phone.
I quit it and let my phone sit/do nothing.
I check 2 hours later 28% -_-
So I uninstalled gbc emulator,restarted my phone and all was well again.

I just got 22 hours 3 minutes and still have 38%.
Also I've been using wifi not cellular.
Minor web browsing and gaming.
Doesn't seem to be hardware related,but I'm not too sure on that.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
In order to reset to pre gdr2/amber OS. Somebody would need to upload the rom and reflash with ncs. I have the rom but no WiFi to upload it with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99