HTC 8S - Owners, Yes? Or No?

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for some honest user experiences and advice on whether or not I should get an 8S or not. Please keep it to the 8S only as I'm very aware of the benefits of the 8X and Nokia phones..

Some background first.. I'm a past Lumia 900 owner and loved it. I'm using an Android mobile now but miss the Windows operating experience. I can get a great deal on a new HTC 8S but am concerned about the fuss about the 4gb flash. Some posts say people are very happy with it and have no issues, others want to throw it off a cliff.

I will use maybe 10 apps regularly, news, RSS, ect. No games. As well as the built in FB, email, ans Twitter . Will get a godod camera app or two as well. I will put all my music and photos on an sd card. . Oh, use Skydrive alot as well.

Would love to hear real world experiences from 8S owners, good and bad.

Should I do it?

Thanks!

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
TBH if You are not going to use memory-heavy games, it might be OK.
Build quality is very good and overall experience is limited only by these 4GB of memory. But it's perfectly OK for light apps.
I use regularly a few apps and a few games and still have over 400MB free. That's really not bad.
But of course, even whole 1.3 GB available is not enough to install any of biggest Gameloft productions.

For me the most entertaining thing I can do with 8S is listening to some music / watching videos. Beats Audio sounds really good. Much like Sony's Megabass - really rich sound, really nice to hear.
Battery life is quite OK.

The phone part is great, it has the HD voice support - totally new quality. For me it was shockingly great for the first time.

What else can I say... Oh, keep in mind - HTCs customer service is only for really, really tough people ;-)

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I think it will serve you very well, when looking at your needs of ~10apps and no games.

Personally, I have about 20apps + 2games installed and still having about 300Mb free. phone built quality is excellent for the price. if you are aware of the 4gb limitation and find it as no issue for you, then deffinitely go ahead and pick it.

Gnax

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know how you manage to get 300-400mb free. I also have not so many apps, 1 game, bus I have less than 100mb.
Also noticed that if I'll add music files to my microSD card it also somehow affects storage on phone.
So if like using, experimenting with apps, listening a lof of music I suggest you look other way. :)

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been using mine since its launch in the Philippines, I'm the first paid customer :)

Having said that I like it a lot, I use HERE maps, Facebook, Twitter, foursquare, office, OneNote, SkyDrive, the Synology suite, the Bing suite, Songza, and my only game is the Halo: SA Lite.

The camera is sufficient (I post photos here in the forums) but thereia bleeding with the red color,I.e., tail lights of vehicles.

I have 70MB left :)

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I really don't know how you manage to get 300-400mb free. I also have not so many apps, 1 game, bus I have less than 100mb.
Also noticed that if I'll add music files to my microSD card it also somehow affects storage on phone.
So if like using, experimenting with apps, listening a lof of music I suggest you look other way. :)

One simple question : What game ? :D
This can tell a lot.

And... no, no, experimenting with apps is totally OK. I am doing a lot of installs/uninstalls and using Storage Cleaner allows to regain lost memory.

Gnax

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Jetpack Joyride, I highly doubt that's the cause of the low storage.
But that's my point. If you're experimenting with apps, storage notifications are unnecessary distractions and Storage Cleaner from time to time isn't really handy. But in this case if OP is 100% he wont do anything else besides what he mentioned, he should be fine. Also music player with a lot of songs (around a thousand) seems to load for quite some time.
It's really such a shame that we got only 4GB, because phone in every other aspect is superb!

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Its cool but you cant download more than 30-40 apps. Why not to buy a Lumia 620?

I just may. I'm torn between the two, 8S and 620. In my mind all else being equal, ie I can get Nokia Apps via Fiddler, I kinda like the 8s design a little more. But, I rarely here people saying they regret buying a 620. I hear that a bit with the 8S. 8S screen a little larger too..

Anyway, you can see I'm torn..

PS.. I'll never have have 30 or 40 apps at one time o my phone. Maybe 25 but that's pushing it. I use a tablet for my heavy user stuff..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077