No Wifi-only = fail?

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I imagine it will ship with a SIM card in it depending on what version you purchase (ATT, Verizon, etc). Just don't activate a cellular data plan and you'll be cool. Shut the cellular radio off. Done.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how price sensitive one is. 50more than the surface but also lighter.
I have a laptop with data capabilities, but I've never used it. On windows8.1 you can just turn it off via the WiFi screen, is if turning on airplane mode. Very easy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you think if I put the sim card from my 920 into the 2520, I could use my data?

I don't see why not, they are both micro SIM. Unless it will blocks activation for some reason I think it should work. You should try and be the first to find out!

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
While most of the complaints are about the price being jacked up higher with no options for a cheaper Wifi-only ver. , I think 499 is reasonable nonetheless. No fail.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Wrong, usually adding LTE to a tablet adds cost but not as much in this case. Nokia already has enough of the patents for LTE so it does not add much to the price.

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why not, they are both micro SIM. Unless it will blocks activation for some reason I think it should work. You should try and be the first to find out!

Well since I do plan on getting the 2520, I'll definitely report back on how it goes.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I think they must atleast provide a option of wifi only too . There is considerable price difference between wifi only and 3G+ wifi models .

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
And there wouldn't be considerable difference in this case unless Nokia increased the price of the LTE model, or does anyone seriously believe that they would price this below 400 USD if they disable the cellular part of the SoC? Remember, most high end 10 inch tablets cost about the same without LTE and it's not like the Lumia 2520 is cheaper to make.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
i've read about some folks having issues getting passed the welcome screen on tablets without a sim card. is this uncommon?

I set up my dad's 2520 without a SIM card inserted. In fact the only SIM card I put into the device was my SIM from my Lumia 900. Even if the rumor you posted is true (which it isn't) you can just put your SIM from your phone into the device and then set up the wifi.

And really with the bundle offer where you get this tablet for $199 with a two year contract and a free keyboard/battery/USB port case I don't know how anyone can say this is anything other than a killer deal. What price were you expecting for all that? Even on my old al carte plan I think a data package for the tablet is $15/month. So that would work out to $199+$360=$559. And that's with 2 years of 200mb/month data and the free keyboard case. I don't really see how a wifi only version is cheaper.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This OP is complaining just to complain about something. AKA - Troll-bait

Look OP, the 2520 is the product they are offering. If their is something you don't like about it then don't buy it!

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I purchased my 2520 without contract from the Microsoft Store, and I am running it without a sim. I guess I could insert the sim and turn off data just as easily. I paid a little more than the surface in exchange for a tablet with a gorgeous display, GPS, Nokia Maps (and I am hoping for more here products down the road..my dream would be drive and maps running on a split screen), ultra fast charging, very good front facing speakers, Nokia camera and camera apps, and more. I feel all of that is worth the extra $50, and I have the capability of adding 4g data down the road if I want to, with a data plan or prepaid data passes from ATT. A similar configured IPad is over $700, so I think the 2520 is priced fairly. And of course I was lucky to jump on it when they offered the free powered keyboard, which I really wanted, so it was like paying $350 for it...a real bargain in my opinion. Once they get production and inventory up, hopefully they will offer more deals to make it more attractive, as they have done with their phones. The only issue I have is that ATT does not want to sell them without a data contract because of limited inventory, but Microsoft Store has no problem selling it stand alone.

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
LTE is the reason I chose 2520 over Surface 2. So, in my opinion, it is a good early differentiator between the 2520 and other tablets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos