Help cant decide lumia 2520 or surface 2?

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a surface RT and sold it due to poor performance. This problem is all but cured in the Surface 2, the Tetra 4 lives up to the hype in my opinion it is blazing fast for an ARM quad core device. That being said the 2520 will likely be slightly faster due to the better processor (clocked slightly higher). Not sure this is a huge difference, but something to consider. Performance - Nokia Slight advantage

Design- Tie, I'd give the Nokia the edge here in pure sexiness and feel of the product, the Lumia design language is unparalleled in the electronics world IMO. However, the kickstand on the new surfaces is so on point and the keyboards really are stellar, sure it doesn't look as good as Nokia (albeit these devices are all top top notch sexy), but in terms of using the kick stand and keyboard is so great.

Connectivity - Nokia wins LTE, hands down winner.

Memory - Surface, expandable storage is more capable.

Accessories - Surface, type covers trump all.

Screen - Tie both sharp 1080P

etc...

The basic answer here is go to a Microsoft store and decide if you want to hold a surface 2 or a large Nokia Lumia 920 type device. The answer to that question is the one I would buy.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was struggling with the same decision when I first heard about the Nokia, but I went with the Surface 2 mainly because of the built in kick stand. It's something small, but I've always liked the ability to stand up my tablet and being able to do so without a bulky case or cover is great. I was very skeptical how well it would really stand on my lap, but it works quite well.

I also don't need LTE since I just use the hotspot on my 928. The Nokia apps sound like an advantage, but I use Slacker Radio so don't need Nokia Music and use Here Maps on my phone and don't see a need for it on my tablet.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Right now I was in the same boat as the OP but the L2520 might swing it for me:
1) It has LTE for true mobility
2) Slim bezel at 8.9mm
3) The power keyboard is atrociously slim.. yet packs 2 usb ports + a battery extending live by 5hrs or so (hell i thought it was quite thick.. this picture was abit a misleading lol) Nokia_World_2013.jpg
4)) has a qualcomm snapdragon 800 cpu [armv7 I think?] MSM8974 (2.2ghz quadcore - 4x krait 400 + adreno 330 gpu)
5) Fast charge - 80% or so in hour!
6) almost a 180 degree viewing angle
7) clearblack display with sunlight readability - I always laughed at my friends when they had cower in the shade in the summer just to read their android phones / iphones screens :p
8) here maps
9) nokia music

When you compare these to the surface 2:
1) No LTE - apparently LTE Model to be released 2014
2) The bezel is quite thick compared to the L2520
3) Tegra 4 at 1.7ghz
4) charge time rated at 2 to 4 hours.

Apart from the above there is not much difference as the camera or speakers don't really appeal to me as I generally use my headphones and b) I won't be taking pictures with my tablet - that is my L920's job lol. Also both have HDMI out (MS call it HD Video Out), both support miracast, charge time about 10 to 11 hours. The only negative I see about the L2520 is that it only supports upto 32gb with the msd card slot - Lumia 2520 Spec Sheet.
But there is a solution for that.. this little beauty! 71LMm5CbqwL._SL1500_.jpg - Nano Usb 32gb

But I am in two minds right now, I think I will wait for the reviews on WPcentral after which I will look at the other reviews before I make my choice (as I found most reviewers don't know what their talking about - for example mobilegeeks.de reviewer totally missed the office icons in his hands on video, Tom Warren.. well lets just say his hands on video was beyond lazy at best). In the mean time will do some more research on the surface 2.

Ahmed Bilal

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
wow an amazing detailed answer but i feel you were pro L2520 but i really found this helpful and will now most likely go for the lumia thanks so much for helping me to finnally come to a conclusion

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The biggest mistake of the Lumia tablet is that the cover/keyboard will cover that stunning back cover, and people wouldn't notice the beauty of this tablet. The Surface on the other hand, will have a less invasive keyboard that will also be a stunning view to look at because of its incredible thinness.

If you are not planning on getting the keyboard for the Lumia tablet, then it is without a doubt the best choice. I'm so OCD lol. I mean I want to show off that cyan back cover!

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Surface 2Nokia Lumia 2520
Software Windows RT 8.1 Windows RT 8.1
Dimensions275 x 173 x 8.9 mm267 x 168 x 8.9 mm
Weight675g615g
Display1080p (10.6 inch)1080p (10.1 inch) super bright
WiFia/b/g/na/b/g/n
Bluetooth4.04.0
NFCNoYes
3G/LTENoYes
GPSNoYes
Offline MapsNoYes
BatteryUp to 10 hours (7-15 days standby)Up to 11 hours (25 days standby)
Processor1.9Ghz Tegra 4 (quad-core)2.2Ghz Snapdragon 800 (quad-core)
RAM2 GB2 GB
Memory32 GB or 64 GB32 GB
Micro SD SlotYesYes
USBFull Size 3.0Micro 3.0
HDMIMicro HDMIMicro HDMI
Front Camera3.5 MP2.0 MP
Rear Cam5.0 MP6.7 MP
Pro Camera AppNoYes
Office 2013IncludedIncluded
Exclusive AppsNoYes
KickstandYesNo

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The only negative I see about the L2520 is that it only supports upto 32gb with the msd card slot - Lumia 2520 Spec Sheet.
But there is a solution for that.. this little beauty! View attachment 48058 - Nano Usb 32gb

lol except the 2520 doesn't have a full size USB port so you cant plug that thing in and whoever is on about the bezel loo, the bezel is the frame around the screen which is about the same size on both devices

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh nooooo... The Surface doesn't come with GPS. This may be a deal breaker for me because a lot of the apps I use needs GPS.

Hmmm... I hope the Cyan version comes to Canada!

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh nooooo... The Surface doesn't come with GPS. This may be a deal breaker for me because a lot of the apps I use needs GPS.

I want NFC and a full size USB port, looks like I have to pick one or the other :(

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I want NFC and a full size USB port, looks like I have to pick one or the other :(

I imagine that decision will come down to which one you need more. However, if you plan on getting the power keyboard cover for the 2520, you'll have two full size USB ports.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The Nokia tablet has better CPU, LTE, GPS, NFC and other sensors + a ZEISS camera, its really no contest with the severaly lacking Surface 2.
The only thing going for the Surface 2 is the full USB port, and I kind of like the Surface design better with the full metal construction, but thats more of a personal preference.

The bottom line is the internals of the Nokia tablet blow away the Surface 2 by a mile.

If you can get your hands on a non-carrier 2520 for $499 then that's definitely the way to go. If non-carriers versions are not available then it's not worth getting because you will have limited and locked LTE and possibly problems with future Windows updates if the carriers have any of their dirty hands on it.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft really screwed up on this one. Basically they made a tablet without including any of the standard tablet sensors and antennas. The same goes for the Surface Pro, how stupid can you be to build a tablet with only the internals you would use in a laptop type device [edit: by this I mean lacking all mobile sensors and such, not using the main components like cpu, etc.]. Tablets by their definition are mobile devices and Microsoft once again screwed up with this. I am glad Nokia is doing it right, now only if they could come up with a competitor to the Surface Pro.

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I would rather get the surface 2 just because of the support MS is giving on it since surface is really made by MICROSOFT it will have all the drivers etc... and also with the built in kickstand :) I don't care so much of LTE cause im just always at home and have a really fast internet ! :)

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I would rather get the surface 2 just because of the support MS is giving on it since surface is really made by MICROSOFT it will have all the drivers etc... and also with the built in kickstand :) I don't care so much of LTE cause im just always at home and have a really fast internet ! :)

Always at home, so I bought a tablet, the ultimate in mobile computing... DERP!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo