Lumia 521 Qi Wireless Charging Mod

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Continuing from my first mod of dying the white Lumia 521 shell to Yellow, I've now added in Qi wireless charging to my Lumia 521. It's a pretty finicky mod, but it works.

Here's some video of it in action.

It's not something to try to do if you've never soldered before, as you can easily ruin the phone. I've documented the process a bit and can answer questions if you want to try it yourself. I don't believe this mod will work on the 520, it does not seem to have these test pads at the bottom for USB like the 521 does.

WP_000082.jpgWP_000083.jpgWP_000084.jpgWP_000086.jpgWP_000087.jpg
WP_000099.jpgWP_000101.jpg

Last edited:

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm dense, but it isn't clear to me what you added, besides the wires. Great mod.

Huh, not sure how i forgot the last 2 pictures. Edited with them.

this is beautiful

It's actually kind of a pain in the ***. I wouldn't recommend doing it. If you look in this picture, the grey material is some kind of shielding, or magnet... or something that makes it all work. Without it, the Qi plate connects to the coil, but after a few seconds errors out and stops charging. Problem is I can't get enough of this material in the 521 to make it work properly (Throw the phone down at any direction/angle on the plate) ..I've already sanded off as much of the plastic inside the case as I can. So it has to be pretty straight on the plate or it won't charge. It was just a proof of concept attempt at adding it in.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Nice work. Although I am getting rid of the Lumia 521 since I got a used Lumia 810 with built in wireless charging. Any details on coloring the case?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice write up!

So long as you can get to the back side of the micro USB , you can add this to any phone, well, any device really. It's harder at the USB prongs , but it works.

Did it a few days ago and very happy with the results, much as you are I'm sure.

I'll be adding this to my gopro, tablets, and other phones.

exiva

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Nice write up!

So long as you can get to the back side of the micro USB , you can add this to any phone, well, any device really. It's harder at the USB prongs , but it works.

Did it a few days ago and very happy with the results, much as you are I'm sure.

I'll be adding this to my gopro, tablets, and other phones.

Depends on the mA rating it needs. You could endup never actually charging the battery.

Do you have a video of how you dyed the battery cover yellow?

Not a video no, but I wrote it up on my blog. Mine's still holding up well, no fading no running of colors. I did however chip a corner, but that had nothing to do with the dye.

worldbesta

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I want to mod my Nokia 520, but when I open it, the motherboard look little different. Just want to find out do you have the mod Qi wireless charging for this Nokia 520 phone?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I want to mod my Nokia 520, but when I open it, the motherboard look little different. Just want to find out do you have the mod Qi wireless charging for this Nokia 520 phone?

Hello! Read the post:

I don't believe this mod will work on the 520, it does not seem to have these test pads at the bottom for USB like the 521 does.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre