Just played with a Cyan Lumia 2520...

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
They are having a Nokia tech demo at Fry's electronics in Sunnyvale, CA right now, from 12 to 1, so if you hurry you might make it! They have a Cyan 2520, a yellow 1520, 1020 and some other phones.

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, the cyan 2520... I'm in love. In fact I don't want anything else. The hardware is stunning, easily the most beautiful tablet on the market. Feels and looks very thin and light (compared the Surface). Fluid performance.

The hw is rigid! No flex whatsoever unlike the iPad Air and sony Xperia Z (thin but flex, especially the Sony). The 2520 has that solid Lumia feel, that you know is durable.
I was also impressed with the 1520, very similar in feel to the 2520 -- these two are the est Lumias yet: beautiful, solid, thin, great ergonomics. Nokia design threw it out of the park with these two.

Nokia rep told me they will release the tablet on Nov 22. I asked about the power keyboard and he told that he thinks it will also release on the 22 but they are rare and he didn't have a demo unit with him. He also mentioned AT&T will offer the Cyan since they tend to do that with Lumia offerings; it might have been pure conjecture of his part though. Oh and he said that the $499 is without contract and no commitment, but we kinda knew that.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
They are having a Nokia tech demo at Fry's electronics in Sunnyvale, CA right now, from 12 to 1, so if you hurry you might make it! They have a Cyan 2520, a yellow 1520, 1020 and some other phones.

Did you play with it ? How does it stack against the surface 2 ? Screen , performance , look wise ? And can you check the camera too ? Can you make some pics and share them here of the tablet ? Does it look more sexy then the iPad air ?

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you play with it ? How does it stack against the surface 2 ? Screen , performance , look wise ? And can you check the camera too ? Can you make some pics and share them here of the tablet ? Does it look more sexy then the iPad air ?
Performance is on par with Surface 2.
I didn't try the camera - we actually joked about taking photos with tablets. :smile:
Screen is glorious, with some insane color reproduction and viewing angles.
Looks are good, typical Lumia. Surface is industrial, more substantial, workmanlike. Lumia 2520 is more audacious, sleek.
Cyan Lumia 2520 sex appeal is off the charts. iPad Air is the anorexic waif catwalk model, pretty but sterile. Lumia 2520 is Candice Swanepoel and Kate Upton mud wrestling.
Compared to the Surface the only thing I would really miss is the kickstand. The USB port requires an adapter in the 2520 but that's only a minor annoyance.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
"Cyan Lumia 2520 sex appeal is off the charts. iPad Air is the anorexic waif catwalk model, pretty but sterile. Lumia 2520 is Candice Swanepoel and Kate Upton mud wrestling. "

LMAO!!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Performance is on par with Surface 2.
I didn't try the camera - we actually joked about taking photos with tablets. :smile:
Screen is glorious, with some insane color reproduction and viewing angles.
Looks are good, typical Lumia. Surface is industrial, more substantial, workmanlike. Lumia 2520 is more audacious, sleek.
Cyan Lumia 2520 sex appeal is off the charts. iPad Air is the anorexic waif catwalk model, pretty but sterile. Lumia 2520 is Candice Swanepoel and Kate Upton mud wrestling.
Compared to the Surface the only thing I would really miss is the kickstand. The USB port requires an adapter in the 2520 but that's only a minor annoyance.
You should've tried the camera. My guess is that they reused the 720 camera in there.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
nokia web says ATT gets black, and Verizon get red and black. no mention of cyan. gave to wait and see.

I like the white too, matches well with the keyboard case

Liam Perry

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah this is already well known, they did reuse the 720's module. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing yet.

The 720 had an entry level pureview sensor, and it performed pretty well. Solid colour reproduction and decent performance in low light. Though how the 6.7mp resolution will look when scaled up on a large 10" screen is another thing entirely.
At this point though, anything is better than the VGA camera on the Surface RT.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
At this point though, anything is better than the VGA camera on the Surface RT.

Yes, but does that really matter for a tablet? I really appreciate Nokia bringing a good camera to the 2520, but why didn't they bring Pureview technology to their front facing camera? The Surface 2 has an above average quality FFC, so I wish Nokia focused on that more than the rear camera.

But it is a gorgeous tablet! I bet the screen is so much better than the Surface 2's, and it's definitely a more beautiful design.

ChillyBruh

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
nokia web says ATT gets black, and Verizon get red and black. no mention of cyan. gave to wait and see.

I like the white too, matches well with the keyboard case

I'm probably gonna cry if I can't get my hands on a Cyan one. A matte red one would be okay I suppose, but the glossy red seems as if it would get more worn easily.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sanshiro, thanks for sharing this. Wish I had known about this demo sooner. I would have made the hour+ trek to Sunnyvale to see the new Lumias. Did the rep mention if they would do another demo on another day? Since the demo was at Fry's, does that mean Fry's will be selling the 2520? I wonder if it will be at other retailers like Amazon or Best Buy, or if it will only be sold through AT&T and Verizon. I so hope it's true that AT&T will be getting the cyan 2520, but like another poster said, the Nokia web site only shows AT&T getting boring black. Maybe they'll start with black and make cyan available later? I guess nothing to do but wait and see.

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Sanshiro, thanks for sharing this. Wish I had known about this demo sooner. I would have made the hour+ trek to Sunnyvale to see the new Lumias. Did the rep mention if they would do another demo on another day? Since the demo was at Fry's, does that mean Fry's will be selling the 2520? I wonder if it will be at other retailers like Amazon or Best Buy, or if it will only be sold through AT&T and Verizon. I so hope it's true that AT&T will be getting the cyan 2520, but like another poster said, the Nokia web site only shows AT&T getting boring black. Maybe they'll start with black and make cyan available later? I guess nothing to do but wait and see.

I'm wondering the same thing as far as other stores selling it. I think it will be pretty great if stores besides ATT, Verizon, and Microsoft sell them. That way, we might be able to get more color options.

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably gonna cry if I can't get my hands on a Cyan one. A matte red one would be okay I suppose, but the glossy red seems as if it would get more worn easily.

Well, I've had a glossy red 920 for about a year now (with no cover), and it's still just as glossy as the day I got it.

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Lol, interesting image. How did it feel, was it plastic like, I don't want it to be like the Nicki Minaj.
Cyan Lumia 2520 feels like a similar Lumia in matter finish, perhaps a bit more spiffy. Not cheap at all.
I have a glossy Lumia 920 yellow. I must say it looks nice and feels ok, but different feeling and it does show more the scratches. I'm afraid of a tablet in glossy finish since the back area is huge and could attract far too many scratches and prints.

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
No problem, I wish I 'd known about it sooner. I just went to Fry's to hit the cafeteria (it's within walking distance of my office) and saw the Nokia rep with a stage set. I spent 10 minutes talking to the guy and playing with the device as nobody had shown up for the demo. I asked him about retail availability and he said that Fry's, BB, etc., would carry it Nov 22. Again, he's a Nokia rep hired for ta tech demo so he might just be making conjectures about availability and colors, etc.

sanshiro

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, I've had a glossy red 920 for about a year now (with no cover), and it's still just as glossy as the day I got it.
I've had mine for a year as well with no protection whatsoever, but it has gathered a lot of micro-scratches...

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Compared to the Surface the only thing I would really miss is the kickstand.

Yeah, I really like the kickstand on my RT. But I also tell myself, my HP Touchpad didn't have a kickstand either. If I could afford the 2520, I'd be all over it. But then again, my RT is running along just fine and does what I need it to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb