Hardware issues

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read on other threads (including on the Microsoft Support Forums) that the Surface 2 is experiencing the same "not waking from sleep" problem. It appears to be a software/driver issue. On one of Microsoft's threads, a moderator posted that a fix is coming on December 10th through Windows Update. I believe the update is also supposed to fix a display crashing issue on the Surface 2 that causes the screen to become pixelated. My 2520 is out for delivery today, so we'll see if it suffers the same bug. Hopefully the December 10th update will indeed fix the issue.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Robertre, I thought the 2520 could only take a 32gb micro sd. Thanks for letting me know it works with 64gb...

I have read that there are 2 specs out there, one that says 32g and another that says 64g. I have not read of anybody who has tried a 64g and had it not work, so it looks like the 64g spec is correct. I just recommend using a highly rated card and don't try to skimp. They can go on sale for a pretty reasonable price.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had a number of hardware and software issues in the 6 days I've owned the device. I'll be exchanging mine on Friday. I'm really hoping I got a lemon, but there are so many issues that I'm very skeptical, and very much missing my Surface 2.

1. 64gb memory card would only hold saved items for a few hours, then require a reformat. It's the same card I used in my Surface Pro, and Surface 2, so I know it's fine. I just tried a 32gb card today, so far so good but still disappointing.

2. Graphical glitches in 3d games such as Dungeon Hunter 4 and Asphalt 8. They both look fine on my dad's Surface RT. Hopefully it's immature drivers.

3. Camera no longer works. I snap a photo, the app crashes, and the green light stays on for about 5 minutes. The tablet still works during this time. I tried a full reset today but still no luck here.

4. The sim tray no longer sits flush on the top, but rather sticks out about 1/16 of an inch. Not a big deal, but a concern.

5. Yellow display: maybe it's been like this all along, but the whites definitely have a yellow tint.

6. I did another full reset to attempt to fix the camera issue, and it's been on the Nokia logo with spinning circle for a few hours now (Lumia 900/920 flashbacks...)

7. I can't get any devices to connect via the micro USB port.

Like I said, I really hope I have a lemon. I don't even have the sleep issue so many seem to be relating. I have to say, this tablet feels like a gigantic step down in class from the Surface Pro, and Surface 2.

Last edited:

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have had a number of hardware and software issues in the 6 days I've owned the device. I'll be exchanging mine on Friday. I'm really hoping I got a lemon, but there are so many issues that I'm very skeptical, and very much missing my Surface 2.

1. 64gb memory card would only hold saved items for a few hours, then require a reformat. It's the same card I used in my Surface Pro, and Surface 2, so I know it's fine. I just tried a 32gb card today, so far so good but still disappointing.

2. Graphical glitches in 3d games such as Dungeon Hunter 4 and Asphalt 8. They both look fine on my dad's Surface RT. Hopefully it's immature drivers.

3. Camera no longer works. I snap a photo, the app crashes, and the green light stays on for about 5 minutes. The tablet still works during this time. I tried a full reset today but still no luck here.

4. The sim tray no longer sits flush on the top, but rather sticks out about 1/16 of an inch. Not a big deal, but a concern.

5. Yellow display: maybe it's been like this all along, but the whites definitely have a yellow tint.

6. I did another full reset to attempt to fix the camera issue, and it's been on the Nokia logo with spinning circle for a few hours now (Lumia 900/920 flashbacks...)

7. I can't get any devices to connect via the micro USB port.

Like I said, I really hope I have a lemon. I don't even have the sleep issue so many seem to be relating. I have to say, this tablet feels like a gigantic step down in class from the Surface Pro, and Surface 2.

I'm actually noticing literally everything you mentioned... including the yellow tint today, which wasn't there before. Not sure how it can have all of these problems at once and none of them were discovered during development.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine from ATT.

What a mess. I'm really dissappointed in this thing.

Did windows updates, not I have 5 different pieces of hardware that have ! by them.
System wouldn't reboot
Store can't find any app updates.

I want to see if either Nokia or MS puts out an update in the next 10 days, if not, I'll eat the $35 and return it unforunately.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to follow up on a few of the items on my list. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Camera app, and it's working perfectly. The 32gb card I'm using has been working perfectly as well. I'm still disappointed that the 64gb card wouldn't work, but I've seen others report that they got it to work, so maybe it's just my device.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Watch the threads on the USB port. Some users have been able to get the port to work with USB 2.0 cables. I have a theory you need a micro USB OTG (On the Go) cable, and not just a standard micro USB convering cable. I have one on order from Ebay that should arrive within a week for testing and will post my findings in the USB topics once I get it. I do not believe the USB port is a hardware issue. I have a 64g SanDisk Pixtor card that so far has worked perfectly in my 2520. Besides the USB port (which is probably not hardware), my 2520 has been working perfectly for over a week with lots of playing. My updates did not cause any issues. The more I play with it, the more I learn about using it, and the more I love it. I hope all of you with issues get them resolved.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Something happened to my tablet after I applied the Windows Updates. When using the "Settings" charm, what usually says "screen" with a screen icon to control brightness was actually the Windows default "Brightness" control, with a lightbulb-like icon. When adjusting the brigntess, it did nothing to the brightness of the screen. I think what may have happened after the update was that the custom nokia code to replace this control (in both looks and function) was not loaded. I decided right then to shut the tablet down (not restart) and then bring it back up again. It was fine after that.

I think that if I hadn't noticed this, and let the tablet go to sleep, I would probably have experienced the same thing all of you have experienced.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, somebody got the USB port to work with a USB 3.0 OTG cable, so it is not a hardware issue... just have to use the right cable/adapter.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually, after a couple of reboots (once I got past the stuck at reboot screen) mine is running like a dream now.

What the hell Nokia. You gotta have this experience running out of the box. I'm gonna hit BB on the way home and see if they have a usb 3.0 otg cable.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually, after a couple of reboots (once I got past the stuck at reboot screen) mine is running like a dream now.

What the hell Nokia. You gotta have this experience running out of the box. I'm gonna hit BB on the way home and see if they have a usb 3.0 otg cable.

You gotta try the USB 3.0 otg cable with charger for the nokia 2520 connected so that you have enough power for the HD

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Update: I am on my third tablet and it's been about a week with no issues other than still not being able to play Plex videos. This suggests that the problem may well be device driven as this unit has functioned flawlessly as far as waking up from sleep mode. My other units exhibited the problem from the first day. All units were updated right after they were out of the box. In addition, the newest unit has much less light bleed.

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Seen a lot of people that are having troubles getting the correct USB adapter to hook up external drives, your phone, etc...

Use this one from Amazon -- I have it and it works beautifully:

Amazon.com: MobilePioneer USB 3.0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Galaxy Note 3 N9000 10cm (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Secondly -- lots of folks talking about 32GB vs 64GB SD cards. I have a Sandisk Ultra 64GB in my 2520 and it works perfectly fine. I reformatted to NTFS so that I could map my SkyDrive local storage to the SD Card and keep the space on the hard drive free. I recommend doing this if you're having space issues or if you have a lot of stuff in SkyDrive.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Seen a lot of people that are having troubles getting the correct USB adapter to hook up external drives, your phone, etc...

Use this one from Amazon -- I have it and it works beautifully:

Amazon.com: MobilePioneer USB 3.0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Galaxy Note 3 N9000 10cm (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

Secondly -- lots of folks talking about 32GB vs 64GB SD cards. I have a Sandisk Ultra 64GB in my 2520 and it works perfectly fine. I reformatted to NTFS so that I could map my SkyDrive local storage to the SD Card and keep the space on the hard drive free. I recommend doing this if you're having space issues or if you have a lot of stuff in SkyDrive.

Interesting!! what external drive did you try hooking up to your tablet? Links pls.

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Interesting!! what external drive did you try hooking up to your tablet? Links pls.

I don't have links -- I bought most of the devices in the last couple of years. But, I have tried a WD 2.5" 1TB USB 3.0 drive -- it has some power issues, but still works. I haven't tried it with the 2520 plugged into its power source.

I've tried a few different flash drives, 2 USB 3.0 variants -- one from Sandisk and one from Kingston. Also tried a Crucial USB 2.0 8GB flash drive.

I've also plugged my Lumia 1520 into it, which DOES charge the phone and allows it to work fine for managing music, videos and pictures on the phone.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't have links -- I bought most of the devices in the last couple of years. But, I have tried a WD 2.5" 1TB USB 3.0 drive -- it has some power issues, but still works. I haven't tried it with the 2520 plugged into its power source.

I've tried a few different flash drives, 2 USB 3.0 variants -- one from Sandisk and one from Kingston. Also tried a Crucial USB 2.0 8GB flash drive.

I've also plugged my Lumia 1520 into it, which DOES charge the phone and allows it to work fine for managing music, videos and pictures on the phone.

Can you pls elaborate on the power issues. I really do not want to corrupt my HD in this experimentation.

I would order this cable and try the below 1 TB drive, am not sure if the power reqts of WD and Seagate are any diff, still fingers crossed.!

Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBU1000100 (Black): Computers & Accessories

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
nothing huge, it's just that the USB port may not supply enough power for all drives. The only way you're going to corrupt your data is if it's during a write transaction. Just plug it in and see how it behaves before actually committing any files to it.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
(some) Good news folks! I had a handful of win 8.1rt updates go through on my tablet yesterday, and I was hoping it fixed some things. While I still get graphical glitches in games, it's important to note that I no longer have to do a reset every time my screen times out! I've tested this in a variety of ways and cannot replicate the need for a system reset.

Please give the latest updates a go and report your findings!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel