anon973381

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Swapped my Cisco WAP321 and WAP121 for 2 Linksys EA6200 picked up over the weekend on sale for $69 at Best Buy and connected standby as well as the connection being usable on resume is completely corrected.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I too was experiencing the exact same symptoms with my AT&T 2520 purchased on Monday. Wifi would drop out about every 10 minutes, sometimes quicker. My first attempted solution was to update the firmware on my wireless router, and that has 100% fixed my problem. No more dropouts and it's been smooth sailing. Man I love this piece of hardware.

Router: D-Link DIR-655 (Hardware version A3)
Original Firmware: 1.11
Updated Firmware: 1.37

I was rolling with a firmware that was 6 years old - shame on me.
Don't rely on the router's built in web server's "Check Online Now for Latest Firmware Version" feature. Mine kept saying it had the latest version at 1.21! I'm hoping that this update fixes the intermittent lost WiFi I have been experiencing on all my devices.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is the same router I have. For it to be one of the better routers, I'm not really impressed. If my son is watching Netflix on his Wii and I want to download a Prime movie on my Kindle Fire, the Kindle will not finish loading and the Wii buffers the download, way too much.

That's not necessarily a problem with the router. It will share the available bandwidth between the Wii and the Kindle Fire (and any other devices). It doesn't have a way to know that some data is real time video.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Several years ago, I began to have serious issues with my router, a Linksys WRT310. It would randomly stop routing traffic out of the gateway, effectively dropping internet access. I installed DD-WRT in place of the default linksys firmware. Not only was the router rock solid reliable after that, I also gained some features that Linksys wasn't providing: isolated guest wifi access and more. It made me a true believer, I wouldn't buy another home router that was not supported by dd-wrt.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to return my 2520 in exchange for a surface 2. I've had numerous Wifi woes with this tablet, and while beautiful it must be functional above all else?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I assume you were giving other users a head's up. I went to the product support page on the company website, which everyone should do.

That is correct. I forgot that the router didn't properly check for updates. I just thought I might not be alone on that.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Don't rely on the router's built in web server's "Check Online Now for Latest Firmware Version" feature. Mine kept saying it had the latest version at 1.21! I'm hoping that this update fixes the intermittent lost WiFi I have been experiencing on all my devices.

The intermittent lose of wi fi is usually down to the wi fi simply dying on your router ( i have gone through 11 routers in the past 5 years... belkin, cisco, netgear, dlink, thomson etc - using ddwrt didnot help), you can confirm this by turning your router off and then on after a few seconds and if the dropping recurs you have no choice but to either get yourself another router or claim for a replacement if you are with-in your warranty.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You might also want to see what channel is being used by other routers and set your router to a channel not in use. Channel 6 is default on most routers. I have mine on channel 10. No other routers in my apartment building use channel 10, but 4 others use channel 6.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

mho0

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have also Linksys EA4500 router and 2520 (and 1520).
Connection was dropped all the time.

After setting
5GHz to N-only and
2,4GHz to B/G

2520 (and 1520) + other devices work just fine with Linksys.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I have also Linksys EA4500 router and 2520 (and 1520).
Connection was dropped all the time.

After setting
5GHz to N-only and
2,4GHz to B/G

2520 (and 1520) + other devices work just fine with Linksys.

Can also confirm this setting works on this router.

jguthrid

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
You folks are geniuses. This solves a problem I've had off and on ever since the first iPad would mess up my router.

Linksys EA3500: my new Lumia 2520 wouldn't hold a connection for more than a few seconds. "Limited connectivity," "Cannot contact default gateway." After reading the inspired words in this thread, I switched the router settings to
5GHz to N-only and
2,4GHz to B/G
... and no problems any more.

I'm especially grateful because the Christmas present for my significant other didn't, in the end, have to get tossed out our 24th-floor window.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I tries to adjust my setting as described above and I am still having issues when connected to 5ghz N, it connects, works for 5 minutes then dies
Now I am trying 2.4 GHz
See what happens

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Update, so when I am connected to 2.4ghz my connection works, does not drop, it only drops in 5ghz N mode.
Any suggestions?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So both my wife and I have the 2520. I don't have the exact same issue everyone is reporting here. My 2520 has worked both here at home and outside on both public and private networks. Tonight however my wife said the WiFi was lagging in our room which is a little distance from the router but not much (my Surface RT and Mac books run fine there). I hadn't tried video back there yet and when I did I ran into the problem.

My solution was to reset (red button in back) my Belkin N300 router (have no idea of previous settings) and now all is fine with the world. Loving my 2520. Hope this helps.

Griffinx

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I can't see the 5GHz ssid on my 2520. My 920 can see the 5Ghz fine and connects no problem. IPad also sees the 5Ghz too..every device except my 2520

Any ideas?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I replaced my old WiFi router with an Asus RT-AC68R. Things appear to have improved. At least my daughter doesn't complain about losing her internet connection any more. Over the last few weeks, however, my 2520 will still get into a Limited state and lose network connectivity. Turning off WiFi or going into Airplane mode and then turning things back on rarely fixes the issue. Rebooting the tablet fixes it every time. I also found that while transferring a large file which takes over 30 minutes or so the transfer fails. This appears to be related the WiFi having problems. A reboot fixes the connection again. I've recently done a Windows refresh not keeping personal files to clear up other issues but this WiFi issue is still there. I'm not sure that the 1/21/14 firmware update fixed the WiFi issue.

I have the same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Should they be different? The router gave the option of them being the same or different.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my old WiFi router with an Asus RT-AC68R. Things appear to have improved. At least my daughter doesn't complain about losing her internet connection any more. Over the last few weeks, however, my 2520 will still get into a Limited state and lose network connectivity. Turning off WiFi or going into Airplane mode and then turning things back on rarely fixes the issue. Rebooting the tablet fixes it every time. I also found that while transferring a large file which takes over 30 minutes or so the transfer fails. This appears to be related the WiFi having problems. A reboot fixes the connection again. I've recently done a Windows refresh not keeping personal files to clear up other issues but this WiFi issue is still there. I'm not sure that the 1/21/14 firmware update fixed the WiFi issue.

I have the same SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Should they be different? The router gave the option of them being the same or different.

I typically set up SSID's to be different on dual-band, just so I know which one I'm on easily. For ATT there was another firmware update on 2/18/2014 that included a new version of the WLAN Adapter. I think this was the first time they revved it. Went from date of 10/23/2013 to 12/9/2013.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb