• Not sure

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You should change this poll so there is an option to select ,"l haven't had this problem" because it hasn't happened to me in a week of use.

dawizel56

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I started having the same issue with my 2520 not waking from sleep and having to do a power down. This started within 30 hours of having the tablet. And after full windows updates of approximately 400mb. I also had one freeze while charging the tablet. The screen was on put no response to touch. I then restarted the tablet and changed the "change when the computer sleeps" to never for both "On Battery" and "Plugged in" to NEVER. I then used the power bottom to turn off the display. I let it sit several times over one to two hours and had no problem with the tablet waking up by using the windows capacitive logo. I then reset back to default and again after letting the tablet set for a long period has had no problem. It had no effect on battery. You just have to remember to use the power key to turn off the display.

So this may be a software issue. Nokia has been great at fixing problems on their phones, I have a Lumia 920, so I'm hoping they can get a fix out for this soon.

Could someone else also test this on their 2520 to see if it is also a "fix" for you.

Thanks

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Just found this on the review of the Asus Transformer Book T100 review on engadget:
[INFO]Unfortunately, we initially had some problems waking the tablet from sleep, though ASUS has already released a software update addressing the issue. [/INFO]

I would love to know if it's the same problem on both.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
After doing some more browsing, seems like this is a widespread issue, and people are thinking it has to do w/win8.1 blue release.

Right now I can't get my 2520 to start at all, but I'm hoping that's because even though I had it plugged in, maybe it wasn't charging... That's happened before as well.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I saw this thread and it caught my attention. I'm not sure if this is related in Windows RT in General. I've had similar issues in getting my Surface 2 to wake. I've needed to completely restart the device several times after picking the device up after charging. The screen will be pitch black butter device is alive as I get feedback when I push the windows button at the bottom of the screen... The only way to bring the device back to life is to hold the slept button at the top for about 10 seconds and restart the machine. I'm worried one day the device will not restart>>>>>

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read on other threads (including on the Microsoft Support Forums) that the Surface 2 is experiencing the same problem. It appears to be a software/driver issue. On one of Microsoft's threads, a moderator posted that a fix is coming on December 10th through Windows Update. I believe the update is also supposed to fix a display crashing issue on the Surface 2 that causes the screen to become pixelated. My 2520 is out for delivery today, so we'll see if it suffers the same bug. Hopefully the December 10th update will indeed fix the issue.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the Dec 10 update did not fix my issue. Just 10 minutes ago, I picked up my Surface 2 from my desk, flipped open the Type cover and the Surface is nonresponsive. I could feel feedback once I pressed the windows key at the bottom of the screen but couldn't get the device to "wake up"... I removed and then re-attached the cover... No Response. I held the power button several times ford about 15 to 20 seconds but no response.... I plugged in the device to the charger... No response....

Finally I was able to get the device to reboot by holding the power butting at the top.. The device rebooted and has about 95% power...... This is starting to become an issue. I've had this issue of trying to get my "wake up" in the past at customer meetings...........This needs to be fixed or I'm going to need to look to another product to suit my needs, For all the short comings of the Surface 2, the basic ability to "wake up" reliably is pretty high on my list......

bmarsden

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the Dec 10 update did not fix my issue. Just 10 minutes ago, I picked up my Surface 2 from my desk, flipped open the Type cover and the Surface is nonresponsive. I could feel feedback once I pressed the windows key at the bottom of the screen but couldn't get the device to "wake up"... I removed and then re-attached the cover... No Response. I held the power button several times ford about 15 to 20 seconds but no response.... I plugged in the device to the charger... No response....

Finally I was able to get the device to reboot by holding the power butting at the top.. The device rebooted and has about 95% power...... This is starting to become an issue. I've had this issue of trying to get my "wake up" in the past at customer meetings...........This needs to be fixed or I'm going to need to look to another product to suit my needs, For all the short comings of the Surface 2, the basic ability to "wake up" reliably is pretty high on my list......

Agreed, this is becoming a significant hindrance and Microsoft needs to address it. Even if it doesn't get fixed right away, a public acknowledgement would instill some confidence in adopters of this struggling platform.

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Another failed attempt to wake up the device. Picked up the device this morning, opened the type cover... blank screen.. Pressed windows key and got feedback the device was somewhat alive (a slight vibration...). Pressed the power button several times and nothing. Removed the keyboard and tried again, Nothing... Finally after holding the power button for about 20 seconds the device rebooted. The device was found to have 99% power upon startup. Good Grief....

simpkijd

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this issue on my 2520 as well. It gets difficult to show a device off when it won't power on.

Exactly, I brought my Surface 2 to work to try to convince them to press our IT buddies to add Windows devices to the list of approved BYOD devices. Currently we can only use iOS or Android phones and/or Tablets in our program. I wanted to show how the Surface 2 can be used with a desktop monitor using the VGA adapter... Upon pulling it out of my backpack, the device wouldn't wake up with my fiddling with it for at least a minute and it have to be restarted...

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here, I have to holder down until green light on front of my 2520 comes on for it power up. Everything else is great no complaints.

Janus Van Rensburg

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Call me superstitious, but I'm definitely getting a white L2520. The reason why I am saying this is because the white variant will only be available later than the red or black flavors, meaning that the white version will be part of the second batch where, hopefully, all these hardware / software ticks will be sorted out. I got the first L920 in South Africa so naturally I had the same issue where the phone would freeze while the phone was in stand-by mode, after probably about a few months of struggling the update finally came through to fix it. Cheers to the peeps who have these issues with their L2520, I just don't know if its worth the added stress for me to go through that again.

daelumia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I talked with Nokia Support the other day about a separate issue and asked about this. The agent confirmed that it is a known issue and that a team is working on a fix.

dawizel56

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
So I posted previously about setting your sleep time to "never" but after a while the sleep problem returned. It got so bad that it would not wake up after going to "sleep" at all and I was constantly powering down (great that this only takes a minute to turn off and back on). So about 2 weeks ago I did a refresh of my unit in the hopes that would solve the problem. It updated everything again but it did not solve the problem and I was really getting fed up, both at Nokia and at myself for buying it. BUT I decided to make on more change and see what would happen. This time I changed the sleep time when on battery to just 1 MINUTE. I HAVE NOT HAD A RETURN OF THE PROBLEM SINCE. I also always use the power button to wake the tablet up instead of the windows button. I don't know if that would make a difference. I wanted to wait until two weeks of no problem to report this. I have let it sit and go to sleep for 5 minutes up to 6 hours to overnight and no problems

BUT I must also report that I did have the problem occur once and only once and that was when I was charging it. While it was charging it would not wake up. I now turn the tablet off to charge. Well I hope this helps. Please report back if this helps you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs