Sim card cutter?

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Every sim card I have ever used since moving to micro sim I have cut myself with a pair of scissors. I usually get a free micro pay as you go sim to use as a template.

If you're on a contract, your contract provider will provide you with one on request.

If you do decide to cut it manually, just make sure that you don't get too close to the 'gold part' of the sim.

Also, phone shops tend to have them behind the counter and usually do it for you.

Hope some of the above helps a little at least.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I just got a cheap sim cutter online recently that I've used once or twice. It was from a random ebay seller that was reputable - I think as long as you get it from a place you trust you can't go wrong.

thejaredhuang

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I got some $5 one from ebay that was stainless steel. I've also used the one in a T-mobile store that felt worse but still did the job ok.

Some tips when you cut:
1. make sure there is enough gap between the gold and the cutter (e.g. make sure you don't accidentally cut the connectors) there is a lot of play in the cutter so you will want to hold the sim while you cut it.
2. Don't use the included or any other adapter. Simply take the SIM you cut and move it in the cutter so it cuts more material out and your microsim will fit in there pretty easily. Then get a piece of tape and put it on the non contact side and you have a perfect adapter thats free.

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Sarah if it helps, T-Mobile was doing a promotion where you can get up to two free sim cards the other day. You can check the site and see if it is still going on.

Or you can even go to Walgreens and pick up a sim card for around $10. That's what I did, because a spare isn't a bad thing to have.

Sarawithanh

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes that does help thank you! Yea a spare is a good idea, I scratched the SIM card that came with the phone just by taking it out,though just to see how it might fit I put in my good 'ol regular SIM card in that I haven't cut yet because I'm nervous,and it didn't get a scratch soo I dunno. Was the promotion on their home page or do you have a link? I'm looking at their site but I don't see anything but their site is frustrating to navigate sometimes.

Last edited:

CrossedFaith

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, worst case scenario is you go buy a new one. Best case is you cut it to fit. Why not trace the small one on the large, and cut along the lines with scissors perhaps?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just did the cut with scissors thing 5 days ago.
A bit scary, yet I had no problems.

Cutting a regular miniSIM down to fit with scissors will force you to trim the contacts along the edge slightly.
It does work however my new phone booted right into the T-Mobile network.
SIM contacts even showed up after I imported them to the phone.

I used one of the cutting marking templates off the web then marked the old sim with a pencil.
Use some heavy duty scissors like kitchen shears if you go this way.

Good luck either way

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
To directly answer your question, it doesn't really matter which kind you get. So far the ones I've used have all seemed very similar. I would just go to eBay or Amazon and order a low cost cutter, such as this one. I am assuming because this is in the Lumia 521 forum that you have a mini SIM and need a micro SIM.

Sarawithanh

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes I need a micro SIM but I want to be able to still use my other phones with my same number that use a regular sim

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes I need a micro SIM but I want to be able to still use my other phones with my sane number that use a micro sim

With our first 521 I just took a previous phone and the new phone into the T-Mobile store.
The person in the store called in to some support place gave the appropriate information to whomever on the line.
Within 3 minutes the new 521 beeped a text message saying it was now active on the network.
Even the sim contacts had been moved over.

With our second phone I tried calling 611.
Gave up and disconnected the call after 20 minutes of waiting and trimmed the card by hand as previously posted.

SIM cutters on E-Bay

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea,I don't just want to transfer my contacts,I have texts saved to my SIM so I don't know if the texts would get transferred as well

Sadly, texts won't transfer from your SIM to a WP (or iPhone, for that matter). I found that out when I went from a Nokia E73 Mode to the iPhone 4.

Manuel Sumulong

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
Just look one at Amazon that has a lot of decent reviews. Bought one for almost five bucks and was able to use it a couple of times. It came with four adaptors but wouldn't fit my Galaxy S2. The cutout still works best. You can't do that with a pair of scissors. A heavy duty cutter may do the trick. But SIM cutter is better. Perhaps your local store can cut it for free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro