I have an iPad air...should I sell it for the nokia Lumia 2520?

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
nope keep ur ipad. ur ipad will still receive updates for a long time to come. the future of windows RT is not known. what if they choose to stop supporting it.. or what if ms tells oems that after wp and rt merger old tabs cant be upgraded?

Nokia said they chose RT because it increased the devices life span because they clearly knew that Windows Phone will be replacing RT eventually

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
people are anti rt. Because at the price of rt you can get a windows 8 which is far more better.

Why people will pay?

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

That is not really true. Most of the cheap Windows 8 tablets have junk older Atom processors. The bay trail devices are coming though.

Even with a better processor, x86 devices will still be susceptible to all the legacy problems that can sometimes plague windows devices.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I am currently debating a similar decision. Surface 2 or iPad Air. I like the productivity aspects of the Surface 2, but the iPad is to the tablet what Windows is to the Desktop, IMHO.

Same here . Iam from India Apple launched the air here , went again today to play around with it . Had seen one previously at bangkok . Again for the second time I dint get that wow factor from it . Iam already using a iPad 2 .

Surface 2 is un fortunately not launched here nor the 2520 . This time mostly I will be not buying the iPad . Will check the s2 and 2520 in real when I come to USA and will go for either of them .

My frequent used apps are browser , mail , YouTube , Facebook , photo editing apps . And the windows store. Have all the apps of my choice . Plus the added functionality I will get with the USB port is priceless . And also the ability to download songs from the web .

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
people are anti rt. Because at the price of rt you can get a windows 8 which is far more better.

Why people will pay?
Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

More is really a matter of perception. Win non-RT devices you significantly get worse battery drain (yes even on atom), your ability to forever update windows and have decent battery life are limited to driver support (just now I am troubleshooting why my Vaio Duo's battery life cut in half after the 8.1 update), and you have to deal with antivirus/antimalware/spyware potential issues. All of that is stuff I'd rather not deal with on a tablet. Its time consuming enough as it is on my main PC. Why would I want 2-3 PCs with those potential issues?

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
More is really a matter of perception. Win non-RT devices you significantly get worse battery drain (yes even on atom), your ability to forever update windows and have decent battery life are limited to driver support (just now I am troubleshooting why my Vaio Duo's battery life cut in half after the 8.1 update), and you have to deal with antivirus/antimalware/spyware potential issues. All of that is stuff I'd rather not deal with on a tablet. Its time consuming enough as it is on my main PC. Why would I want 2-3 PCs with those potential issues?

With i5 processors yeah you get worse battery life, the new Atom quad cores you see 8-10 hour battery life. Only reason, I gained battery life on all my devices when 8.1 hit, my Surface Pro and Alienware did not have any issues, but my Asus needed to do a fresh install to fix driver errors. Some PCs when upgraded will get a crap ton of minor issues that is best and easiest fixed with a clean install. Tablets and new PCs are designed to work more efficient with Windows 8.1 so you will not see any of those issues. I don't know where people get virus and malware issues with 8.1 from I do all kinda of abnormal things online that makes me vulnerable to attacks and I have yet to have issues that couldn't be fixed by running a simple antispyware program.

If you have no use for installing programs Windows RT is the right choice and RT devices are more powerful for the price since they use top of the line cell and tablet processors.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
As others have pointed out, it completely depends on what floats your boat. I have three tablets - the iPad4, the Nexus10 and the Surface 2 (which was preceded by the Surface RT). The thing is that I use the tablets for different things. Thus, for example, I use the iPad4 as a dedicated e-reader and only occasionally to use a banking app. I use the Nexus 10 only for watching movies and I use the Surface 2 for everything else - browsing, Office related work. The Surface has effectively replaced my laptop (though I do have a Win 8 desktop machine, which is a 2-monitor set up that I find myself using less and less).

Arguably, I can probably cut down on one tablet. If I was to do so tomorrow, it would be the Nexus 10. This is because I can use the Surface 2 to watch movies. The 1080p screen is very good - at least for my purposes. But I would hesitate to get rid of the iPad. Why? Simply because of (1) the aspect ratio, which to me is the best suited for reading e-books - various formats; and (2) some of the best reading apps that I have found are in the iOS store (personally, I use PDF Expert for working with PDFs, which I find myself doing most of the time and iBooks for ePUBs).

But if I could find a Win RT device which has a 4:3 aspect ratio, then I would seriously consider also dropping the iPad. But I must have a good app (in the Windows store) that can handle PDFs. ePUBs is not so much of a problem.

The point that I am making, therefore, is simply this: It completely depends on what you need to get done and what you want to get done. I have found when buying technology, while there is a natural tendency to buy stuff that one thinks one likes, it is probably better to buy the stuff that one can use to satisfy a need. Less regrets that way.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
With i5 processors yeah you get worse battery life, the new Atom quad cores you see 8-10 hour battery life. Only reason, I gained battery life on all my devices when 8.1 hit, my Surface Pro and Alienware did not have any issues, but my Asus needed to do a fresh install to fix driver errors. Some PCs when upgraded will get a crap ton of minor issues that is best and easiest fixed with a clean install. Tablets and new PCs are designed to work more efficient with Windows 8.1 so you will not see any of those issues. I don't know where people get virus and malware issues with 8.1 from I do all kinda of abnormal things online that makes me vulnerable to attacks and I have yet to have issues that couldn't be fixed by running a simple antispyware program.

If you have no use for installing programs Windows RT is the right choice and RT devices are more powerful for the price since they use top of the line cell and tablet processors.

-A fresh install is time consuming if you have a lot of 3rd party software.
-8-10hr battery life is questionable - take for example the Dell Venue Pro 8, its battery life drops significantly once you adjust the super low brightness
-Yes, if you really need an x86 app, than RT is worthless to you (as is any tablet running a mobile OS), however unless there is something you NEED, RT is a great choice, and possible the better choice
-I'm guessing that despite the fact that you do "weird things" online, you are a sophisticated user that won't run an unknown exe or allow a random plug in to install.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah Windows 8 store lacks a single app that can handle all ebook types, I have to use 2 to handle it all. I couldn't find any justification to keep an Android and iPad tablet since both handle the same jobs with similar efficiency.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
That's really something only you will be able to determine. It all depends upon your needs and which device will fulfill those needs best. Nobody else knows how you use a tablet, so other people cannot make the decision for you.

I love it! First reply sums it up. I am a diehard windows guy and I dabble in hackintosh but I would never say MSFT products are universally better for everyone. I am lukewarm on tablets in general but they do have their uses. If you are a consumer of media and you really like the iOS apps I would not dissuade someone from using an ipad Mini.

I also should have mentioned that the adobe flash support on the RT devices means you don't need an app to do a lot of things other tablets do need an app for.

This can't be emphasized enough. A lot of the need for apps is you simply can't use a lot of websites properly on devices that don't support flash. Once you have flash a lot of apps are useless. I will agree that one nice thing about some apps is they are touch optimized. On Windows RT and 8.1 there are things that are tiny and fiddly. You can pinch to zoom web pages inside of browsers but the menus of the actual browser in desktop mode has tiny menu items. Of course you can web browse in touch mode or whatever Redmond calls it.

Of course if you want productivity Windows is king. I am kitting out my Dad's Nokia 2520. Here's what I have done so far. I have ordered the micro HDMI adapter. I bought the micro USB adapter. I have a new Logitech keyboard/mouse wireless combo. I put in for the free keyboard/USB port/battery case. This guy is going to be able to go to work and hook his tablet up to a 20+ inch monitor, full size keyboard and mouse, and a USB printer. Oh, and he has Microsoft Office on his tablet including Outlook... for free. That is a very different experience than an ipad mini. An ipad mini has apps Windows doesn't have and Windows does things ipads don't so you really have to analyze your needs.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the Surface took me a little while to get used to the wide screen design, since I was used to reading in portrait mode and the Surface just seems silly in that mode.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Each to their own. For me, tablet is quite different to a laptop and I use it for different things.

Depends on the tablet. All it takes is one cable and one adapter to connect a full size monitor, keyboard, and mouse to a Nokia 2520. So it's not like a laptop. It's like a full blown dual monitor desktop.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the tablet. All it takes is one cable and one adapter to connect a full size monitor, keyboard, and mouse to a Nokia 2520. So it's not like a laptop. It's like a full blown dual monitor desktop.

That's the problem. I have a desktop for connected to a monitor, which is much more powerful and more importantly has a huge hard disk (I hardly switch this machine on any more, but I need it to store photos, etc). I also need a laptop which I need to work when travelling. A tablet, even with an attached keyboard, is too small for me to do that.

BTW, it seems to me this is the absolutely critical point for Microsoft. If combined tablets/laptops make sense, than Windows has a good chance of succeeding on tablets because iOS and Android and not available for laptops. If they combined tablets/laptops don't, then there's no reason for most people to move from iOS/Android to Windows on tablets.

Anyway, each to their own. No criticism intended of anyone else's preferences.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720