How to unlock AT&T Nokia Lumia 2520

InvalidByte

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Been lurking on wpcentral for years, never bothered to make an account until now after trying to find answers on here on how to unlock this tablet with no luck/straight answers.

>opened the AT&T All Access app
>made a prepaid datapass account
>paid $5 for 24 hours of data
>took out the AT&T sim, popped in a T-Mobile one
>opened the app again, it then asked for an unlock code
>called the number underneath, gave them info on my prepaid account and device
>they made a request, got an e-mail a day later saying they were unable to unlock said device
>got another e-mail about a week and a half later with the unlock code and instructions
>unlocked it today, threw my T-Mobile sim in, and presto data is working

Attachments

• att_nokia_lumia_2520.jpg
    att_nokia_lumia_2520.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 32

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
So you not gonna share the specifics ( who unlocked it as in name and number) but just say that it's unlocked :wink:

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So you not gonna share the specifics ( who unlocked it as in name and number) but just say that it's unlocked :wink:

I think what he is saying is you need an AT&T account to unlock this device and you can get that for $5 with the 24 hour pass. Don't think it's agent specific.

InvalidByte

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I think what he is saying is you need an AT&T account to unlock this device and you can get that for $5 with the 24 hour pass. Don't think it's agent specific.

Correct. Just make a prepaid account within the app, then pay for a plan, in this case the $5 one, call AT&T and request an unlock. So happy I got an e-mail this morning with the unlock code, thought I'd never be able to use T-Mobile on the tablet, let alone have the T-Mobile icon appear. (Refer to attached screenshot)

morete908

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So the e-mail that you sent to AT&T was just a one sentence request like "Please give me a unlock code" with no faxed paperwork, no serial numbers, no sales receipts and documentation? I tried the e-mail thing to unlock a couple of L900s and had to provide them more paperwork than what a title company requests to take out a mortgage. They didn't even reply back to my e-mail and it's been five months. I guess you were just lucky and got a rep that decided to give a @#$% that day.

InvalidByte

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
So the e-mail that you sent to AT&T was just a one sentence request like "Please give me a unlock code" with no faxed paperwork, no serial numbers, no sales receipts and documentation? I tried the e-mail thing to unlock a couple of L900s and had to provide them more paperwork than what a title company requests to take out a mortgage. They didn't even reply back to my e-mail and it's been five months. I guess you were just lucky and got a rep that decided to give a @#$% that day.
If you put a non AT&T sim into the Nokia Lumia 2520 and open the AT&T app an unlock screen appears with a phone number to call in case you have questions. 1-800-331-0500.
I called that number, gave them my newly created prepaid account info, so name, phone number associated with prepaid data plan, contact e-mail and device info, i.e. IMEI, etc.
The representative then told me she put in a "request" for an unlock code and they would e-mail me within 24 hours with more info regarding the unlock.
I got the e-mail in about 2 hours and the e-mail said that my device couldn't be unlocked and if I had anymore questions to contact them again.
I didn't.
Two weeks later, aka this week, got another e-mail containing an 8 digit unlock code, instructions and a follow up e-mail saying if I had anymore questions to call them back.
/thread

morete908

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response.
I went into an AT&T corporate store several months ago and asked for the phone number to request unlock codes and even went to their website. Both stated that the option of calling to request an unlock code is no longer an option. The request had to be entirely done via e-mail. I'm glad to see that AT&T brought back a phone number and a live person. I might give it a whirl with a non-AT&T sim. AT&T has their 15 day return policy just in case.

FYI: Amazon is now selling factory unlocked GSM 2520's in both red and black through a third party in the UK. 1-2 days shipping at $800. Unfortunately, the frequencies that the tablet is unlocked at are (WiFi + 4G LTE 800/1800/2600 MHz + 3G 850/900/1800/1900/2100 + 2G).

juanchar

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Has someone who bought the tablet in US and live abroad (UK in my case) been able to unlock the device?, I really want to use my tablet with the 4G connection.
Thanks!!

MrVoras

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Even if you unlock it, you won't be able to use 4G due to different bands used by UK (or most European for that matter) networks and those enabled in the US market devices

juanchar

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter, I'll still be able to use the 3G, and actually the at&t model has some bands that works in UK... But the most important is that I'm American and I just living here for a year until June of this year. So is still important for me to unlock the tablet
Thanks!!

CobaltDragon

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
This is just the info I was looking for! I traded in my Verizon one for the ATT version yesterday, but really I'd like to be able to use TMO most of the time, and ATT when in areas with no good TMO coverage.

zibiksior

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I recently bought this tablet in AT&T store and now I brought it to Poland. I read this topic a little bit before purchasing and I was aware about that this tablet is locked but I thought that there will be some way to unlock it. I tried to ask in stror how can i unlock that and they told me that i have to be AT&T customer but that we know all ready. So I found something like this: AT&T Unlock Code - At&t IMEI Unlock Code - At&t Sim Unlock Code - At&t Network Unlock Code Did anyone tried this? It cost almost 60$ so its not so cheap. Is there any other way now? Or better will br to ask someone who is customer to do it for me?

Thanks

Daniel_15

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I tried cellunlocker.net on February 19th and although on the website it says that AT&T 2520's can be unlocked, I was refunded on February 28th. I have an order with Chronic Unlocks now, I will report back when I get a response (good or bad).

Ronaldo Nazario

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Same here, just got my unlock code from cellunlocker.net (which has always worked for me in the past) and it didn't work. FYI, they sent me a 20 digit code and the original poster said that he received an 8 digit code from AT&T to unlock. Guess a refund is coming my way :cry:

Daniel_15

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Just got a message back from chronicunlocks. My device could not be unlocked:

Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 9:50 PM
Subject: Your unlock request has been rejected

Service:: Nokia Lumia Phone Unlock
Device: Nokia Lumia Phone (AT&T)
IMEI: ______
Rejection Reason: Blocked / Not Found / Non-AT&T

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Are these devices bought out of contract?

I truly do not understand why we are subject to locked devices that are bought out of contract. Seems it should be illegal to me.

Daniel_15

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Filed a complaint with the BBB on the March 18th, complaint was processed on March 24th and AT&T contacted me the next day. I faxed them a copy of the receipt and 2 hours later I received a phone call with the 8 digit unlock code.

Good luck to everybody else that's in the same situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99