LUMIA 2520 or SURFACE 2?

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
guys i cant decide between the surface 2 and the lumia 2520. for me..it comes down to built-in kickstand,built in USB port in the surface to LTE connectivity and NFC on the lumia device. now the problem is i want LTE but i also need full USB on the tablet.. guess i cant have both.. but i m already making a huge compromise by not buying a full windows tablet that will act as my main device. any help on this will be much appreciated. if there is any user who has used both devices please share your experience.
also is the $150 power keyboard backlit? and the trackpad bit of the power keyboard appears to be dangling.. is it stiff .. can it really be used in presentation mode when u hold the tablet in the air?

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You may want to wait. The persistent rumor is that LTE will be coming to the Surface 2 in early 2014. I have not used the 2520's keyboard yet because they are not available for purchase. I guess it'll be a toss up as to what is available first -- LTE of Surface 2 or the release of the 2520's keyboard.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i ve looked at all the videos in youtube about the keyboard. 2:03 in the video...
@mike: i sold my macbook pro a year ago.. i liked windows 8 and believe i can do things faster on a touchscreen. 2014 huh? if i can wait until then there ll be better bay trail tablets out there then my dilema would only worsen having all those choices. i really like the hp omni 10 specs. none of the video reviews say anything about it being a backlit keyboard or not.. i read in a website that it is.. so wanted to confirm.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Early 2014, which I don't think has ever been officially confirmed, can mean anywhere from 2 weeks to about 4 months away. I can guarantee you one thing though, any announcement will come at least 30 days after xmas so there isn't a rush to return anything sold over the holidays. Then add a few weeks for good measure so people don't feel like they were toyed with.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
guys i cant decide between the surface 2 and the lumia 2520. for me..it comes down to built-in kickstand,built in USB port in the surface to LTE connectivity and NFC on the lumia device. now the problem is i want LTE but i also need full USB on the tablet.. guess i cant have both.. but i m already making a huge compromise by not buying a full windows tablet that will act as my main device. any help on this will be much appreciated. if there is any user who has used both devices please share your experience.
also is the $150 power keyboard backlit? and the trackpad bit of the power keyboard appears to be dangling.. is it stiff .. can it really be used in presentation mode when u hold the tablet in the air?

USB 3 on Lumia works. just get make sure to get an OTG adaptor.

I dislike trackpad on any laptop. I prefer trackpoint in ThinkPad. I think this is non issue since you can use the touch screen.

As for backlit, it is not a big deal either, since I never used a laptop w one. typing fast requires tactile feedback. the screen is bright enough if u need to look at it I think.

Last edited:

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the Nokia for a couple weeks, it was a good tablet. The unknown date for getting a keyboard and that Nokia wouldn't give the people who bought the first day the free keyboard made me return it and get the surface 2. I like the surface 2 better, the kick stand, type keyboard, more touch friendly screen, and full size USB are things I would really miss.

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I had the Nokia for a couple weeks, it was a good tablet. The unknown date for getting a keyboard and that Nokia wouldn't give the people who bought the first day the free keyboard made me return it and get the surface 2. I like the surface 2 better, the kick stand, type keyboard, more touch friendly screen, and full size USB are things I would really miss.

How is the screen more touch friendly?

Sent from my Sony Xperia? Z Ultra

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
The screen on the Surface 2 just seems slicker, when you scroll your finger moves easier along the surface, the select accuracy also seems a little better. It was like the Nokia had excessive drag on your finger making scrolling less fluid.

How is the screen more touch friendly?

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ Z Ultra

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Also with the bundle deals they have on the surface 2 right now, a 32gb surface 2, type keyboard, sleeve case, and $25 app card, the total cost was only $50 more than the Nokia alone. If you need LTE the Nokia is your device, I use my phone as a hotspot since I just need it for a few minutes at a time. The camera on the Nokia is better and has some cool functions, that was a selling point to me when I bought it but then I remembered I don't use my tablet to take pictures anyway and if I do it's just for work and they don't have to be fantastic just for reference. For real pictures I want to keep I use my phone. Both are great tablets and in my opinion better than the ipad or android especially if you want to use them for business. The Samsung Note 10.1 2014 is very cool and has some features I would really like, it's great for someone who wants a tablet, but for real productivity, connectivity, and getting the job done I don't think you can beat the Windows tabs.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Just saying, to get LTE on a surface 2 you will need a mobile thingy, on the other hand, to get a USB support its only a 1$ purchase for the 2520, so if it was to me the 2520 seems better.

Last edited:

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The screen on the Surface 2 just seems slicker, when you scroll your finger moves easier along the surface, the select accuracy also seems a little better. It was like the Nokia had excessive drag on your finger making scrolling less fluid.

that was only right after when the OEM screen protector is first removed, which can leave a bit of residue that can be felt. after some usage, the screen has no lag at all. you can also put a screen protector on. the L2520 screen does attract a lot of fingerprints, compared to say L1020 phone's screen.

SANDEEP NAIR1

May 22, 2013
Visit site
i think i should wait.. perhaps windows phone 8.1 will decide RT's future. and one is not sure how well the nokia tablet will be supported after microsofts take over..

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I ended up with the 2520 after trying the Surface 2, I think for a tablet only device for consumption, not business, I preferred the Nokia.
To me its easier to old and type on the screen. The only thing I miss is the kickstand.
My USB3 adaptor I got works perfect, though I hardly ever use it.
Great screen, very good battery life, yes it is a finger print magnet though. Oh well nothing is perfect. I was also lucky enough to qualify for the free kb offer though I have not received it yet.

jpmfan

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I ended up with the 2520 after trying the Surface 2, I think for a tablet only device for consumption, not business, I preferred the Nokia.
To me its easier to old and type on the screen. The only thing I miss is the kickstand.
My USB3 adaptor I got works perfect, though I hardly ever use it.
Great screen, very good battery life, yes it is a finger print magnet though. Oh well nothing is perfect. I was also lucky enough to qualify for the free kb offer though I have not received it yet.

what USB 3.0 adapter did you get? Thinking about getting one for mine

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my wife the Lumia 2520 on eBay. Only $450! Great deal considering what its going for at stores. Also can you believe on Ebay its going for even more then that. These ppl are idiots. Ppl are buying Surface 2 for $600 on Ebay used when they can go to Microsoft and get it for $450. Idiots I tell you. Anyway, has anybody got a 2520? How do u like it? I'm thinking about giving up my Surface RT.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa