Lumia 521 gone FULL RETARD with no trigger, just routine use

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
The more I use this thing, the more I realize this is a beta product *not* meant for prime-time use.

A few days ago, I stopped getting calendar updates (sync) with my Google calendar for work. I can only refresh calendar sync by syncing mail, so I poked my head into mail, and--... (flips back to home screen) *ahem*... poked my head into mail an--... (flashes back to home screen again)... MAIL. (*home screen*)... WTF?!

*taps mail* whoosh... home screen.
MAIL. home screen
MAIL!!! homescreen
MAILMAILMAILMAILMAILMAIL!!!!homescreenhomescreenhomescreenhomescreen

wtf

Messages no longer chime for an incoming text message - and the tile doesn't show the correct number of unread texts.
Battery life is fine.
Wi-Fi hotspot still works.
Both my Microsoft and my Google accounts (but not my domain email account) are locked in "Syncing" mode and can't be edited, stopped, or removed. Just locked.

AND THOSE ARE THE ONLY FUNCTIONS I USE ON THIS PHONE.

I'm not asking much out of this thing... I don't use apps (the Windows app ecosystem is dead as far as I'm concerned, so I use my Android tablet everywhere I carry my phone), and this isn't the first time I've had these stupid, pathetic, unexplainable, un-debuggable glitches in the OS. I'm really not cool with the idea of factory-resetting my phone *AGAIN* for the tenth-or-so time. I can't remove the accounts because the worthless UI won't let me activate those greyed-out "syncing" items, nor stop the syncing.

I'm pretty certain by the low traffic in this forum that this thread'll just go unread... but here's my rant for Google's sake, I guess.

FalconFour

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Oop... as if that wasn't enough... I guess my phone felt like adding to the stupidity. Now, when I flipped the phone open again, it was on a SMS thread with no title - a conversation list with no name across the top. When I went "back", I was taken to "Messaging - threads - No messages". Yep, my phone forgot that I have any messages at all.

So I go Home, and tap Messages... flip-dee-flips back to home screen. I tap Messages again... all my threads are back.

Like I said, it's gone FULL retard.

Ladholyman

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Please type in coherent English. You're not making much sense here.

It seems like either you lost your data connection, so the Lumia is unable to sync with Google servers. Since you don't use any apps, just flatten and rebuild. System format your phone and it should be as good as new.

The "mail app not opening" bug is probably some update gone awry. Install another keyboard language to force the phone to rebuild your apps and it should be fine.

Eric J F

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea if your issue is related, but we had lots of hangs and other problems like yours until a few months ago. To cut to the chase, my only guess is the camera button messed things up.

Before we stopped using it I went through factory resets and app uninstalls with no fix. Once we stopped the problems went away. Now we tap the screen to take a picture. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it's the only thing I can figure out.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans