Search / Bing is broken

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand L900 (various reasons), international version, for my father a few weeks ago. 1st smartphone for him.

I have a L820 and I never properly used a WP7 device, but I looked them up enough on YouTube. I knew that the Bing functionality via Search Button wouldn't be the same on WP7.8 as it is on WP8 but ... well, what happened came quite as surprise to me.

The L900 does not display Bing search properly at all ! If I press the search button, the Bing webpage opens in what appears to be Internet Explorer (though it's not, there is no IE interface to be seen) and it's all small and little and I don't know, displayed wrong. The WEBSITE is displayed without proper scaling. Incredibly zoomed out. How can I fix this? How can I make Bing awesome again? Should I try soft/hard resetting? Did anyone hear about something like this before? I don't know what the previous owner did to the phone, everything else works normal.

<EDIT>: Yeah, I forgot I cannot post images/videos since my L820 is in repairs :(

Last edited:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hard reset. Seriously. I have no idea who or what has done this, but I know this is not supposed to be the case - it's supposed to be virtually identical to the experience on WP8. (Source: my two friends running 7.8 on their phones).

Do anything in your power. You might even have to flash new firmware on it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If its not on WP7.8 (8862 is the latest version I believe after the live tiles patch) then I would strongly advise to update it using Zune. If you want to flash it clean then use Nokia Software Updater for retail.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I used to own a Lumia 900 AT&T version, and the same happen to my L900. Can't remember how exactly Bing search works on WP7.5 i think the scaling was ok... but on WP7.8 the Bing search always look out of proportion, i tried many things even considered to convert the L900 AT&T to another rom, but then i bought the L920. So i never tested if Bing search could be fix by flashing the phone.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I used his phone again today and noticed he had one available update for the OS. Didn't have a WiFi connection at hand so I don't know if that would fix things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb