only lumia 810 NOT AVAILABLE for nokia black update

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I got the HD2, not upgraded to WP7.. got the HD7, not upgraded to WP8... got the 810, no upgrade coming. . After so many let downs, I got a Note3.

You do realize that Black firmware in fact brings only small improvements? This has nothing to do with 8.1 upgradeability (major upgrade).

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My sister has an 810 and I'm kinda annoyed that it isn't getting black because she would really get some use out of it enabling Bluetooth 4.0 and the updates to Glance Screen. I'm hoping at the very least T-Mobile is just waiting for 8.1 this April(?), though I'm thinking she may just need to get a new phone.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
You do realize that Black firmware in fact brings only small improvements? This has nothing to do with 8.1 upgradeability (major upgrade).
Post back after it doesn't get 8.1. T-Mobile has given up on this phone, just like they did with the previous models that I've listed. If you look at my list, it's obvious that the only way to get updates with T-mobile is to buy the newest model, period.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
You are right, but T-Mobile acted like that during the time that they has contracts. Now with no contracts, they have to be careful on how to handle upgrades and EOL's on phones. Not everyone wants/or can afford to do upgrades from JUMP.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Post back after it doesn't get 8.1. T-Mobile has given up on this phone, just like they did with the previous models that I've listed. If you look at my list, it's obvious that the only way to get updates with T-mobile is to buy the newest model, period.

Or get international versions (as in the 925) where if you don't get updates,you can just flash another model and get it that way... Wonder if someone will make a way to get it onto the 810 like SevenEighter got 7.8 onto the 710? (crosses fingers for all the 810 users)

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Pick up a global pentaband version of a Nokia and just use the regular updates when they are released

Exactly, the solution to a device update being held back, and a phone that got dropped early from support is to just buy a new one! Easy peasy! Let me just go to my backyard and start digging up them gold bars I've been hiding.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, the solution to a device update being held back, and a phone that got dropped early from support is to just buy a new one! Easy peasy! Let me just go to my backyard and start digging up them gold bars I've been hiding.

Or you could just wait until the 810 bites the dust, and buy a new phone then? No one is telling you to buy a new phone now.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the reason that the 810 is not being supported is because T-Mobile EOL'd the phone and hence Nokia feels that it should no longer be supported beyond Amber. My theory seems legit but who knows.

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the reason that the 810 is not being supported is because T-Mobile EOL'd the phone and hence Nokia feels that it should no longer be supported beyond Amber. My theory seems legit but who knows.

Exactly! Why would Nokia spend time creating an update for a phone when they know the carrier will not push it out? Hell, I'm still waiting for Amber on my L810. Oh how I despise T-Mobile....

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes, T-Mobile is run by az$holes but there is a very easy way to get not only Amber but GDR3 (at least the developer preview which is 60% to 70% of GDR 3 any way. It will be a 2-step process and the best info that I have seen is here: [How To] Download and flash all WP8 Nokia Lumia Stock ROM - xda-developers
I just received a new Lumia 801 from Amazon yesterday - installed GDR2/Amber by following the referenced tutorial EXACTLY and it worked flawlessly. I had already had a Microsoft App Studio account (they are free) so I was able to follow the Amber update installed above with the developer preview GDR3 (see the thread in this forum for installing GDR3 Developer Preview). The phone works perfectly and I don't care whether the T-Mobile clowns ever push out an update.

Exactly! Why would Nokia spend time creating an update for a phone when they know the carrier will not push it out? Hell, I'm still waiting for Amber on my L810. Oh how I despise T-Mobile....

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, T-Mobile is run by az$holes but there is a very easy way to get not only Amber but GDR3 (at least the developer preview which is 60% to 70% of GDR 3 any way. It will be a 2-step process and the best info that I have seen is here: [How To] Download and flash all WP8 Nokia Lumia Stock ROM - xda-developers
I just received a new Lumia 801 from Amazon yesterday - installed GDR2/Amber by following the referenced tutorial EXACTLY and it worked flawlessly. I had already had a Microsoft App Studio account (they are free) so I was able to follow the Amber update installed above with the developer preview GDR3 (see the thread in this forum for installing GDR3 Developer Preview). The phone works perfectly and I don't care whether the T-Mobile clowns ever push out an update.

Update 2 (GDR3) that's available thru Preview for Developers program is the Full Monty, the complete enchilada whatever you want to call it. It's not 60-70% of Microsoft's OS Update 3 it's 100% It's not a "preview OS" like a preview for a movie, it's a "preview" for developers to see and experience Update 3 before the general public, it's the same MS OS that appeared with Lumia Black and obviously without Nokia's firmware update.

And make sure you blame the correct party for 810 owners not getting Lumia Black, it may not be who you think it is.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/T-Mo...Receive-Nokia-Lumia-Black-Update-416025.shtml

docfreed

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
And because you read it on Softpedia it must be true? T-Mobile has a history of EOL' ing phones that no longer sell - Blackberry is a good example. The 810 was developed exclusively for T-Mobile and when it's no longer popular it is equally likely that T-Mobile just decided to no longer carry/support the phone so naturally Nokia will not either. Excepting for Apple, it's the carriers that dictate to manufacturers and the "customers" of the phone manufacturer are the carriers - not the consumer.
And directly from Microsoft " A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available". Thus when the "real GDR3" issues it should have drivers/other OS components that are missing in the preview hence my "60% to 70%" notion though I may be off on the percentage.

Update 2 (GDR3) that's available thru Preview for Developers program is the Full Monty, the complete enchilada whatever you want to call it. It's not 60-70% of Microsoft's OS Update 3 it's 100% It's not a "preview OS" like a preview for a movie, it's a "preview" for developers to see and experience Update 3 before the general public, it's the same MS OS that appeared with Lumia Black and obviously without Nokia's firmware update.

And make sure you blame the correct party for 810 owners not getting Lumia Black, it may not be who you think it is.

T-Mobile Lumia 810 Will Not Receive Nokia Lumia Black Update

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Black is not a Microsoft product, it's a Nokia update... And Microsoft said (at the time) that all current Windows Phones would receive support through July of 2014. This would mean that GDR3 will probably be the last update for the 810 - which if you are on the Developer Preview - you'll see doesn't do much for the device.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
waazzupppp,

I know what you posted about support thru July 2014 once was true, but they've changed it since then...copied straight from Microsoft's support pages...

Products Released Lifecycle Start Date Mainstream Support End Date Extended Support End Date Service Pack Support End Date Notes
Windows Phone 8 12/14/2012 1/12/2016 Review Note Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System, including security updates, for a period of 36 months after the lifecycle start date. These updates will be incremental, with each update built on the update that preceded it. The distribution of these incremental updates may be controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer from which you purchased your phone, and installation will require that your phone have any prior updates. Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities.
Microsoft Product Lifecycle Search

Looks like basic OS updates through Dec of 2015.

I know these are never set in stone and although we may never see Black, I bet at least people with developer preview will see 8.1 soon.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
And because you read it on Softpedia it must be true? T-Mobile has a history of EOL' ing phones that no longer sell - Blackberry is a good example. The 810 was developed exclusively for T-Mobile and when it's no longer popular it is equally likely that T-Mobile just decided to no longer carry/support the phone so naturally Nokia will not either. Excepting for Apple, it's the carriers that dictate to manufacturers and the "customers" of the phone manufacturer are the carriers - not the consumer.
And directly from Microsoft " A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available". Thus when the "real GDR3" issues it should have drivers/other OS components that are missing in the preview hence my "60% to 70%" notion though I may be off on the percentage.

I asked Nokia on Twitter and they said...well you're gonna have to find my post 2-3 weeks ago but they said in essence "we hope you understand we are sorry" and admitted responsibility.
And UPDATE 3 ( old term GDR3) is MS not Nokia so if you have Update 3 via the Preview for Developers you have the full 100% , total, full monty, the whole pie, everything including the kitchen sink MS Update3 OS You don't get Lumia Black with Update 3 -that's NOKIA's Firmware

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium