My 2520 experience!

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have had my 2520 since xmas eve, Dec 24 for the people who don't practice xmas, and I have to say this tablet is amazing. I got a RT tablet because I use windows phone, and windows 8.1 on my desktop. My desktop is a gaming desktop, but I needed something to go to class with, and something just to kick back with. So I got a red 2520.

First off I will talk of the bad, to get it over with and honestly because it isn't much. Apps. Just like WP when I got it, apps are limited, not saying I havn't found an app/third party app/substation for what I need. I wish the family of 6 apps (6snap, 6sec, 6tag) would come to RT. But there are options.

Now to the good part! This thing is like a little computer. I didn't expect this with the bad hype around RT, but it is defiantly a windows computer. The desktop has the file explorer (which I have plenty of experience with since I have always used windows) and this is a HUGE plus over Apple/Android. I used to have a Transformer Prime, and accessing files was a pain. Also it comes with REAL word/powerpoint/excel. I just need the power keyboard and I will have a laptop! Now I know that people will say "well you can't download programs like on a real computer". Well you can't do that on a Apple/Android tablet either. A tablet isn't made for programs imo. Its made to consume, and to do work in an environment that isn't your norm is an added plus. The 2520 is my replacement for a laptop and tablet, I have my desktop (way more powerful also) to run big complicated programs. A tablet isn't made for that. If you need to run programs like that, RT iOS and Android are all out of the picture, because you don't need a tablet. I don't understand why RT gets blamed for not running programs, its a tablet OS. (End Rant)

The screen is just awesome, good viewing angles and great colors. I love the way the start screen looks on this baby, the reason I switched to WP is because of its beauty and it being different, well the 2520 makes windows 8.1 look even better.

Now to speak about music. I have always used iTunes, so when I went to WP things got messy. The desktop WP app worked for awhile, but I was tired of iTunes. I had changed all the data with my music with TuneUp, but it didn't change the actually file, so pretty much I had to use iTunes if I wanted this data to be correct, or change it all by hand. I decided to ditch iTunes, and go exclusive Xbox Music. I have been using both, The xbm pass to get stuff that is official, and iTunes to get my mixtapes and off the wall stuff that wasn't on xbm. I used the 2520 and deleted my old cloud collection in xbm. Then I re-downloaded all my music with xbm. I then bought a micro usb 3.0 to usb 3.0 converter and used this to get all of my off the wall stuff onto my 2520. And just like this I had everything on xbm on my 2520. Synced it with my phone and now no hassle of using two services. Also I can download off the wall stuff on my 2520, thanks to the desktop/file explorer and be good to go in minutes. This device changed my music habits for the better.

Also this is something not many ppl understand, but the IE on the 2520 displays websites just like they would on a desktop computer. My Transformer always had problems displaying sites, especially for sites for my school. The 2520 works amazingly on every website I visit, just like my desktop. Also has flash, which is a big plus.

Another thing I don't think many know about, is that windows 8 syncs your start screen. I got the 2520 at home, turned it on, and BAM my start screen from my desktop right there. Had to download the apps of course. I then played around with it and made the start screen how I like it (just played with it on my desktop, didn't use too much) and when I got back to my school and turned on my desktop, the start screen had changed to the one on my tablet! (I was gonna do this anyway so they would look the same, but did it for me). Also all of my bookmarks from the desktop IE was synced with my tablet, on both the Metro IE and Desktop IE. Saved a lot of trouble for re bookmarking.

Overall this tablet is a blast, everything you would expect from a tablet, but with an additional desktop for word and file explorer. Again the worst thing about the tablet is the missing of official apps, but everything you need is in the store. I love this thing and would recommend it to anyone.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to mention a key part! the speaker placement on this tablet is genius. They are on the front, and are hardly noticeable until you play music. They sound great! My Transformer had the speaker on the back, right where you would put your palm. It was horrible.

I forgot to mention why I didn't using two music services. My music on iTunes were in playlists. But when I downloaded songs off XBM, I couldn't add them to the playlists. So I couldn't update playlists using both. Now using just XBM, all my music can be used to create playlists.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
An epic review for a truly awesome tablet. I'm more simplistic in how I review it: I give it to others to play with for themselves. ;)

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya on the office and multitasking parts. I was in a contract negotiation yesterday and we were going over numbers. Watching the folks use their ipads and multitask was painful. It ended up that I did almost all the calculations and work while everyone pretty much waited for my answers.

The iPad does have awesome games, and some awesome things, but man, you can't beat good multitasking.

ayejay0601

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I love mine as well. Great screen and battery life. Very light. And I agree, RT isnt as bad as people think, especially when compared to iPad or Android's OS.

I do have two complaints though. One is clicking things in IE. I have such a hard time clicking on links sometimes. It will highlight the link instead of clicking. Is there a way to adjust sensitivity--this might be help. Second complaint is that whenever I turn it back on (from sleep), it seems to lose Wifi Connectivity. I have to click on a different wifi connection then reclick on my connection for it to work.

Anybody have resolutions for these issues?

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have issues with IE clicking on things sometimes. I am guessing issues are more with the site or IE, and not the tablet. Hopefully it will improve with updates. I have zero issues with WiFi, though there is at least one thread in the issue. I think I remember some mentioning something about router settings. You may want to check the thread. I doubt if it is a hardware issue.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
The latest firmware update resolved my IE clicking issues, so I'm rather happy about that. :)

And I just noticed that I resurrected an older thread. Sheesh.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
From the firmware thread, it looks like the firmware so far has only gone to the ATT version. I got it on mine, and I agree it seems to help a lot with IE. Of course I got a windows 8.1 January update at the same time, so that may have helped as well. Check out the firmware thread...

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It is odd (and unfortunate) if you're right and only the AT&T models received the firmware update. The improved responsiveness in IE is definitely noticeable. It would be awesome for every 2520 to receive that firmware update.

John Wiskowski

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
My AT&T Lumia 2520 is nearly perfect. LTE becomes unresponsive occasionally, maybe once a week. A restart is required to fix that. The obnoxious light bleeding is rarely noticed anymore, and is a non issue. Battery life for my usage is easily 2-3 days. I use WiFi at home and am always on LTE when I am at work/out. The on screen keyboard works very well, but does occasionally act up if I am hitting too close to the edges.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My experience has definitely been a mixed bag. The unresponsiveness of Internet Explorer has become manageable with the update. However, playing native videos on the 2520 is a nightmare, and I will have to send it back to Nokia if the issue can't be resolved. What I love about the device is the split screen multitasking, battery life, and the quick charging ability. After seeing pictures of the power keyboard, I just can't see adding that much bulk to my tablet. I have a Poetic SlimLine Case and I love it to death. I think Nokia dropped the ball by not releasing a touch pad similar to the one on the Surface devices. The purpose of a tablet is to not have to carry a laptop. Having only a power keyboard option defeats that purpose, and will never be excepted by the public as a viable option to the more portable devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium