All in! 4 iPhones > 4 Lumia 521's

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Made the transition this weekend. Dumped my expensive Verizon plan for a T Mobile plan at less than half price. Took a bit of a beating on trade in value for the iPhones but it was worth it for the monthly bill savings. You should have seen the look on the saleswoman's face when I told her I wanted the Windows phone. She told me 3 times that it was a massive downgrade from my iPhone 5. I told her not to worry because I research everything to death. She was sure I was going to regret it.

Even though I had researched quite a bit I was still surprised at how much I like Windows phone. It does some things very well that I never knew I was missing. The People app alone may be worth the switch. It makes Apple's address book look simplistic and dated by comparison. I love the family room feature. The way it ties in all my emails and social media into one app is really awesome.

I managed to find all the apps I use regularly on the Windows platform. It was a bit of a headache figuring out how to get all my contacts loaded. I ended up moving them from my iPhone to my gmail account and then syncing my gmail to Outlook. Not elegant but it worked. We now have 4 Lumia 521's in our family. The way Microsoft makes the phones work together is something that was missing on iPhone. I love how we can seamlessly share pictures, calendars, shopping lists, messages etc. right from the family room in the People app.

The phones work great. I did notice a slight lag on opening apps. Not a bothersome lag but definitely a longer lag than I was used to with my iPhone 5. The speaker volume is louder than my iPhone and the call clarity is better. I miss Siri a bit but I hear that Microsoft has something in the works. Other than that it's been pretty good. I still can't believe how cheap the phones were. They are less than the cost of getting a screen repaired on my iPhone. I feel much better about sending my kids off with these phones because replacement cost is so low. It's a nice way to try the Windows platform without having to spend a mint. I'm going to try it for a while. If I still feel this good about it in a few months I'll think about upgrading to a better spec model. I couldn't quite justify the 400 dollar price jump for the 925 right away though. I tried out the 925 right next to the 521 and didn't feel a 400 dollar difference in handling. May wait on something used in the 200ish dollar range if I decide to upgrade. Anyway, just thought someone might be interested to hear how an Apple ****** got along with switching over. The Windows phone sits nicely next to my 2 Macbook Pro's, 3 iPods, iPad and iMac. :)

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Good luck and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you had a classic case of the carrier salesperson doing everything in their power to not sell you a Windows Phone.

slipslip

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Since you mentioned missing Siri, did you know that you can hold down the Windows/Start button to use voice commands?
Use Speech on my phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I just got the 521 during the holidays, too, and I'm enjoying learning all of the things that it can do. I was upgrading from a flip phone, though I've also had either an iPod or a Kindle Fire that I used as my "smart" device. The 521 may not have the pizzazz that the iPhone or high-end Android devices do, but it has all of the essentials for a great smartphone experience-- great GPS including offline maps, music apps (Pandora and Nokia MixRadio are my favorites), workable email, social networking, etc.

And all for a much more reasonable price!!

omegatek

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Ha! We did the same thing.
Went into a tmobile store and they were trying to steer me away from the windows phones.
Kept suggesting android and iphones.
Been there, done that. Iphone 4 and Samsung Galaxy S2. Which I enjoyed both, but the prices were ridiculous and I had to sign contracts with Sprint at the time...2 years of hell
Bought 4 Lumia 521's on sale for $59 each ($240 total investment!)
Walked into Tmobile and the rep was confused as to why I wanted to connect 4 Lumia 521's instead of signing up for an iPhone contract free.
Kept bring up how easy the iPhone was to use, etc...
Now I'm only paying $100/month for all 4
Wife loves the family room, shared calendars, etc..
Even sweeter, we got $80 in credit from Nokia for the Windows Store.
I don't care if my teen loses or breaks this phone, compared to the iPhone she broke last year, this phone is easily replaceable and she is enjoying it.
May upgrade in 6 - 10 months to a higher spec phone... gonna see what else Nokia and MS cooks up.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Good luck with your new phones. If the 521 is suiting you after coming from a MUCH more expensive iPhone that says a ton about Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro