6.25GB free on 32Gb Miix 2

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Saw one of these at Best Buy.....there is NO WAY I would get one of these things with only 6.25GB free. Lenovo should be ashamed for putting one of these out with so little free space out of the box.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Well the OS eats alot of the free memory. I don't know how much and then I'm sure there's bloatware on there that could be removed along with recovery as well. And it does have SD card. I mean what do expect for a full Windows 8 OS.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The average consumer would expect more with a 32GB unit. 6.25 free is kind of a joke.

The average consumers also don't take into account OS memory usage and bloatware. These kind of thing was already discuss with initial release of surface pro and RT. As long as it had SD card it wouldn't be an issue for me cause I would know what I'm getting into. What else would you expect for a $299 tablet running full Windows? The average review on Amazon don't even speak on the memory issue.

Localhorst86

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
The average consumers also don't take into account OS memory usage and bloatware. These kind of thing was already discuss with initial release of surface pro and RT. As long as it had SD card it wouldn't be an issue for me cause I would know what I'm getting into. What else would you expect for a $299 tablet running full Windows? The average review on Amazon don't even speak on the memory issue.
the average user is well aware of the fact that they wont be getting the full 32Gb to begin with because it comes preloaded with the system and software. Even my parents know that. But surely 7Gb of free space is way too little. I myself was a bit disappointed when my Acer Iconia W510 only had like 17Gb of free space, I'd expected it to be around 20-22Gb

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So if its expected what's the big deal. You already lose 16 for the OS. I really don't believe you only getting 6GB. There is nothing that states anything about this thing only having 6GB free space left. I can't believe Lenovo put 10gb worth of boat. I call BS. So whatever. I'll let y'all pout about something you not gonna buy anyways. So please, continue to whine about. If it don't buy it, there's other people buying and not whining and if they did would be buying the 64. LOL. So like I said, what do you expect from a full OS running on a 32 GB tablet. Smh.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So I tell you what, you find a 32 GB tablet that doesn't have half the memory loss due to the OS. Go ahead. I'll wait.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a dell venue 8 pro and it had under 5Gb after it installed office. USB otg cable and removed the restore partition, installed a 32Gb SD card, have 11Gb of play with vlc and a whole lot of apps installed. Put movies on thumb drive to watch, pictures I want to keep at hand on SD card, you know the smart thing to do. The average consumer should not buy if they don't know what they are buying.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a dell venue 8 pro and it had under 5Gb after it installed office. USB otg cable and removed the restore partition, installed a 32Gb SD card, have 11Gb of play with vlc and a whole lot of apps installed. Put movies on thumb drive to watch, pictures I want to keep at hand on SD card, you know the smart thing to do. The average consumer should not buy if they don't know what they are buying.

that just sound to logical to understand.

So I'll give that it had less than 6GB cause I didn't take into account Office. But I agree with everything you just said and still will say what do you.... Aw forget it. Its redundant at this point. I knew my 2520 would lose 1/2 its storage space as well as the thousand of people who bought their Surface 2. To each their own I guess.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The irony of all of this is, ok, so you put Office on it and you have 5Gb left for some Windows Store apps. What are you left with? A tablet with the same functionality as Surface RT with less space and just a little room to install and run the x86 apps you thought were a purchase advantage in the first place.

Soooo buy a tablet with you know larger space. Its $299. Windows requirement is only 16gb for 8 and 8.1 32bit and 20gb for 64bit. Its not MS fault OEM put in 32gb as it meet requirement. Hell they sell a Surface 2 with 32. If you gonna gripe this much there are you know better options.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Take office off and use the online version provided you have office 365. There is plenty of room to run what you need. If its that bad leave a PC on at home and remote in from the tablet to do the work and transfer the file. There are many ways around the storage issue. You can run software from a WiFi hard drive if you need to. All you do is load it and point to the WiFi drive to install.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
If the amount of space quoted by the op is true on what is left on the miix then that is just straight up bloat. I have have an Asus VivoTab Rt mind you it is the LTE version from at&t and with office fully installed with all my apps and Windows 8.1 I have 18.1GB free right now. Just like Palandri said "The average consumer would expect more with a 32GB unit. 6.25 free is kind of a joke." This indeed has to be a joke or I know not to ever buy a Lenovo as it will have major bloat.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
If the amount of space quoted by the op is true on what is left on the miix then that is just straight up bloat. I have have an Asus VivoTab Rt mind you it is the LTE version from at&t and with office fully installed with all my apps and Windows 8.1 I have 18.1GB free right now. Just like Palandri said "The average consumer would expect more with a 32GB unit. 6.25 free is kind of a joke." This indeed has to be a joke or I know not to ever buy a Lenovo as it will have major bloat.

But even if was bloat and can be removed. Most computers come with preinstalled software. Making it a bigger deal than what it really is. And RT I believe cuts back a little on space compared to full Windows cause my 2520 had about the same amount even with preinstalled apps.

Easy-G

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is such an important point that I hope consumers are getting. I myself am extremely tempted at times to pick up a cheap, Atom-powered, non-RT Windows tablet. The fact is that at bottom of the barrel price points, the storage just isn't there.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Saw one of these at Best Buy.....there is NO WAY I would get one of these things with only 6.25GB free. Lenovo should be ashamed for putting one of these out with so little free space out of the box.
I have to agree, the manufacturers should not sell a device as a 16 or 32 gb model. They should be sold as simply having "x" amount of free space out of the box.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Umm storage is storage. If windows tablets come with less than half the storage of the competition it will be a huge hindrance in the sales of these devices. Everyone complains about horrible reviews etc for WM. This type of oversight just adds fuel to the fire. Might as well not even offer a 32 gb model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte