Nokia Keyboard Settings?

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured out how to change any settings on the Nokia Keyboard? I've looked everywhere and haven't found what I'm looking for other than pointer speed.

One of the early issues I'm having is accidental app switching which happens when swiping from the left over the touchpad. It is very sensitive, as I've already switched 3 times while typing this post. I'd like to disable it only on the touchpad because I still use it often on the screen. In fact, I'd like to disable all the gestures that mimmick the on screen gestures because to me they're not really that functional as the screen is only inches away :)

The other setting I'd like to change is the two finger scrolling. By default the two finger scrolling is reversed from what I'm used to on other laptops, in that a two finger swipe down scrolls up and a swipe up scrolls down. I prefer a swipe down to scroll down. I remember years ago that apple changed this default in their macbooks because of the adoption of touch screens where the screen will go where you swipe. To me, a two finger swipe down is physically easier and more natural to use, and the predominant use is always scrolling down (to read webpages or anything else).

Let me know if anyone else has discovered where to alter these settings.

t.mehoves

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I have searched and came up short as well. I also would like to change how the on screen keyboard will not show, even in tablet mode. Having to unfold, type, fold back is not very convenient.

rsud93

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking for the exact same settings, unfortunately I don't think they exist. I guess one alternative you have, now that we have USB ports, is to plug in a mouse. A travel mouse works great with this device when on the go.

I also would like a setting to deactivate the touchpad only, such as when I have a mouse plugged in. I've found the touchpad to be very sensitive and sometimes click on things or activate it inadvertently with my palms when typing and such.

Last edited:

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have searched and came up short as well. I also would like to change how the on screen keyboard will not show, even in tablet mode. Having to unfold, type, fold back is not very convenient.
I just discovered that if you go to the charms bar and select Settings | Keyboard you can select which keyboard to use. Now hopefully there will be a way to change the programming of the touch pad and gestures.

Now if we could program how the touch pad behaves that would be awesome. Oh, and a way to tilt the tablet back for lap typing. Maybe in version 2 of the keyboard.

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I just discovered that if you go to the charms bar and select Settings | Keyboard you can select which keyboard to use. Now hopefully there will be a way to change the programming of the touch pad and gestures.

Now if we could program how the touch pad behaves that would be awesome. Oh, and a way to tilt the tablet back for lap typing. Maybe in version 2 of the keyboard.
I agree with you on the lap typing. The keyboard just doesn't lend itself well for use on the lap. I've yet to use the Surface 1 or 2, but I imagine the changes made for the 2 with the extra tilt are very beneficial to lap typing (as is stated in multiple reviews). The Nokia case isn't very useful when not on a table/desk, but overall I am very satisfied with it aside from the touchpad sensitivity as I stated above. Hell, it was free :)

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible to bring up the onscreen keyboard with the physical one attached?

Yes, as I posted in two posts above yours, I just discovered that if you go to the charms bar and select Settings | Keyboard you can select which keyboard to use.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When in desktop mode, you can bring up the tablet the keyboard by pressing the keyboard on the task bar, just like you could without a keyboard attached.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree that it would nice to be able to disable the mousepad when not needed, maybe with a keybutton combination. Let's hope a firmware update comes to give us more control over the mouspad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos