Really unsatisfied with the Lumia 525 experience

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I got a black Lumia 525 when it was launched, and is now 38 days old. At the time of buying the 520 was a good phone according to user reviews so a 1gb ram version of it should be better rite. hmm!
The phone really heats up when playing high end games like asphalt 8 and the battery just drains, one hour of playing and its down to 40% from 100, playing with headphones. Cant use 3G as it will result in same problem of severe battery drain too. Once when i was using mix radio and downloading tracks via 3G while charging, the phone got so hot that if the back was metallic you could have cooked an egg on it ! And the free 2000 bucks worth of games is another gimmick as after installing basic apps you only hav space left for one of the games from gameloft, and ya wp 8.1 helps you by installing apps on sd card but when the update will come through for 525 god knws and by then the free game validity voucher will have expired. Another bug that has crept up is the duplication of tracks in the music player, i had downloaded the music directly to the phone memory and gotten a new 32gb transcend uhs-1 card two weeks back, moved all music to it. Yesterday evng i noticed that all the tracks were duplicated and if you delete any one of them the track is unplayeable and error is shown.
Is all this 'regular' with the 525, something I should learn to live with or is their a fault with the phone. Please help me out as i really like the os and dnt want to shift to droid.
-- A sad nokia fan boy :(
Thanks in advance..
PS: the key board is laggy when typing on 3rd party browsers (UC browser) when typing in the new thread dialogue box and dictionary suggestions are also absent, so typing a long post like this is .... :'(

Last edited:

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I got a black Lumia 525 when it was launched, and is now 38 days old. At the time of buying the 520 was a good phone according to user reviews so a 1gb ram version of it should be better rite. hmm!
The phone really heats up when playing high end games like asphalt 8 and the battery just drains, one hour of playing and its down to 40% from 100, playing with headphones. Cant use 3G as it will result in same problem of severe battery drain too. Once when i was using mix radio and downloading tracks via 3G while charging, the phone got so hot that if the back was metallic you could have cooked an egg on it ! And the free 2000 bucks worth of games is another gimmick as after installing basic apps you only hav space left for one of the games from gameloft, and ya wp 8.1 helps you by installing apps on sd card but when the update will come through for 525 god knws and by then the free game validity voucher will have expired. Another bug that has crept up is the duplication of tracks in the music player, i had downloaded the music directly to the phone memory and gotten a new 32gb transcend uhs-1 card two weeks back, moved all music to it. Yesterday evng i noticed that all the tracks were duplicated and if you delete any one of them the track is unplayeable and error is shown. Is this 'regular' with the 525, something I should learn to live with or is their a fault with the phone. Please help me out as i really like the os and dnt want to shift to droid. -- A sad nokia fan boy :( Thanks in advance.. PS: the key board is laggy when typing on 3rd party browsers (UC browser) when typing in the new thread dialogue box and dictionary suggestions are also absent, so typing a long post like this is .... :'(

If you were to install a game right now from Gameloft (that has an offer to be free for you right now) you can uninstall it and it will be free even after the offer period expires.
So install and uninstall all your free games right now, and when 8.1 comes you can get them all.

Also disable any useless background task (in settings>applications) and see if the phone gets a speed boost and reduced heat. (I recommend you set no more than 3 background app for max performance)

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Well disable all background tasks found in SETTINGS tab...... That should stop battery drainage.... If you are worried that the voucher will expire Just start the download and after a few minutes cancel it... The next time you are ready to play the game click buy and it will redirect you saying you already own the appp..... Next for the music duplication format memory card .... Use a computer and go to phone storage ->music >albums ( make sure show hidden files is checked in folder options) delete all files here .... Now do the same for all sub folders in the music folder..... Then copy the songs to memory card ... Via a simple copy method and it should be good.... Hope it helps ....

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
ty kris joell and abhishake 620 for game tip
will try formatting the sd card and simple copy paste.
i hav fb and whatsapp only running background,
was using the phone on wifi for surfin the net for 3 hours now and battery drained frm full charge to almost half (54%).

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
ty kris joell and abhishake 620 for game tip
will try formatting the sd card and simple copy paste.
i hav fb and whatsapp only running background,
was using the phone on wifi for surfin the net for 3 hours now and battery drained frm full charge to almost half (54%).

Here is a link to an earlier WPCentral article on saving battery life.
17 tips to extend battery life on Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central

Also, Huge battery drain while playing AAA games (especially Asphalt 8) is common. I usually play it with the charger plugged in.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Same problem with my 920 about 3G and heating. In 3G my phone lasts only 5 hours with normal usage. But that's because 3G coverage isn't very good in my area. Also it gets very hot in 3G mode. So I keep it in 2G when I'm not using the net. And game however light it is, drinks the juice. Even subway drains my battery like 30-40 percent per hour

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Battery drain while gaming is normal - The 1 GB ram maybe sufficient for Asphalt 8 but the processors are previous generation dual core - They are pretty fast for normal usage, not great for gaming. And playing a game as intense as Asphalt 8, it's pretty normal to get your phone heated up and drain battery very rapidly.

Browser - The only stable browser I have come across on Windows Phone is the native browser, internet explorer. Sure it may miss some features, but its the best in terms of stability you can get on Windows Phone.

Also, from 100% to 54% on 3 hours of browsing? Seems like your phone is doing great. Somehow Windows Phone lacks at internet browsing giving less internet browsing time than other android or iOS equivalents. (It excels at video playback, music and voice and video calling however).

And yes, your phone constantly tries to find the best network - and that drains battery. If your area doesn't have good network, it will constantly try to improve or gain better network. That's why when using 3G, your battery drains.

wildsdi

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you that the Rs. 2000/- worth free games is a scam. After installing facebook and whatsapp, there is no space in the phone for any game. I just installed Asphalt 7. Also your movies downloads but doesn't play saying insufficient space. Battery barely lasts till evening, but my phone is just 3 days old.

adam rock

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
dude i wont give u any battery saving bull****.....lumia 525 is not a good phone as compared to indian android phones of same price......but here is the thing either live with it or sell it

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey

My few quick pointers:

1) Heating Issue: I had the same problem with my 920. I replaced the phone and it solved the problem. Now to be fair , if you play games especially high graphics your phone would get heated up. but as long as your phone is not getting heated up so much that it reboots itself , you seriously don't have any problem

2) Games Gimmick: Just buy the games and cancel the download. It stays forever and you can install them with 8.1 rolls out this April

3) Battery Issue: Trust me , Lumia's do have the best battery in the market as of now. If you are not getting ~18 hours on the battery , then you might need to check for a replacement if possible. but again if you play high end games and browse websites on 3G/ 4G , then battery drain out is expected. It is theoretically correct. running WhatsApp should not drain much battery

also another important word - don't rely on third party battery apps. My experience is they have been un reliable. One of the app kept giving me toast notifications saying " your battery is draining fast...". That day I got 21 hours of battery backup

another , 525 is just a 1GB RAM over 520 , so , the new RAM would consume a tad more battery than in 520

about android phone in India

I guess android phones in India would behave the same way as they do elsewhere :) I am from india and found Android performance at low end pretty bad. I never had a problem with 520 which is my backup phone.

Shouvik Mazumdar

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you that the Rs. 2000/- worth free games is a scam. After installing facebook and whatsapp, there is no space in the phone for any game. I just installed Asphalt 7. Also your movies downloads but doesn't play saying insufficient space. Battery barely lasts till evening, but my phone is just 3 days old.

I hope you know that for the first few days battery backup is less. Let the battery drain out completely and then charge. Do that for 4-5 days max 7 days and you would end up getting 21 -22 hours of battery backup

again if you play games / videos , it would drain. That's the dumbness of all smartphones :)

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Battery is problem even for lumia 820.we have to live it by using another android phone.windows phone can be used in conjunction with the android phone. I have lava iris 458q which has only 512 mb ram but I have to live with hang nd lag but I use it more frequently bcoz it is android.

Sent from my iris458Q using WPCentral Forums mobile app

wildsdi

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I get a good 18 hours with regular usage. includes 3G surfing, 2hrs talktime, about 4 hrs of ebooks, and lots of SMS, email and whatsapp.
Similar to my older Micromax A110. I think that is good enough.
If you want long battery life, go for a feature phone. I also use a Nokia 2700 classic with a 1420mAh battery which I charge once a week or even 10 days.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Low end Windows Phones are utter garbage. And battery on Windows Phone 8 as a whole is very unreliable. Even on my Lumia 1020 there are plenty of games that heat up the phone and drain the battery. It has the same processor as a HTC One S, which has fantastic battery.
I suggest you sell your phone and get an Android in the same price range. At some point you'll have to get over the animations on Windows Phone and live with these deal breakers. Android may not be as fluid, but it offers a more solid experience as a whole. Try the Moto G.

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problems with the Nokia Lumia 520, the battery drain was just ridiculous, and the heating problem.
Sold it and bought a Samsung Ativ S and have had no problems, battery life outstanding and normal heating. Seems to be a Nokia, not a WP, problem.

AgnishB

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Music duplicate is a bug on all Lumia's. I've had it too. Do the following: connect phone to pc through cable. Copy all data onto your pc. Now in phone settings, format sd card(don't format through pc). Dismount the sd card. Now take it out and transfer the data from pc into it. Now insert it back into phone (phone shud be switched off). Turn it on, wait for some time. Problem solved

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Low end Windows Phones are utter garbage. And battery on Windows Phone 8 as a whole is very unreliable. Even on my Lumia 1020 there are plenty of games that heat up the phone and drain the battery. It has the same processor as a HTC One S, which has fantastic battery.
I suggest you sell your phone and get an Android in the same price range. At some point you'll have to get over the animations on Windows Phone and live with these deal breakers. Android may not be as fluid, but it offers a more solid experience as a whole. Try the Moto G.

Hmm even low end android like lava iris 458q gives 1 day battery backup but not lumia phones.i meant heavy browsing for 8 hrs continuously.

Sent from my HTC One X using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro