Nokia X & Why it does not make sense lol

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia took the biggest advantage Android has, which are its 1 million apps, and removed it from Nokia X. You expect people to buy this?

I have no particular expectations of the Nokia X. You are missing the point. You can make as many arguments as you like as to why the inability to access the play store means this won't sell. The fact remains that millions of Android devices without that access are sold each month, which leaves me to believe your arguments aren't that relevant in the markets where this will be sold. Then we also have the fact that a large chunk of the devices being sold today still run Android 2.3. I agree with you that in western Europe or the U.S. this is a joke. Elsewhere, market statistics suggest otherwise.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
And how does this affect strategy?

You throw out a lot of useless insults about the device but didn't address the question you replies to.
It doesn't effect their strategy, if that is what you meant. Their strategy makes no sense to begin with. They're using this phone as a gate-way to Lumia phones? That makes absolutely no sense. There is NOTHING in the Nokia X that would make someone get a Lumia phone. In fact it is quite the opposite. Nokia X has quite a few more apps than Windows Phone does. The situation will only get worse for Lumia phones as more and more apps are ported to Nokia X. 75% apps are already 100% compatible with the X, all they need is submission to the Nokia Store. Why would someone get used to having so many apps and games, and then decide to switch to a platform that has none of that?

If somebody really has a hard-on for Microsoft services, he can easily get those on his Android phone. OneDrive, Bing, Here Maps and practically all Microsoft services are available on Android phones. Skype is much better on Android than on Windows Phone. Go figure.

Another reason why Nokia's strategy makes no sense is because they're betting their hedges on the brand name. Majority of the people in developing markets don't buy a Windows Phone, they buy a Nokia phone, which just happens to be a Windows Phone. So what is going to happen when Nokia is no more? Someone using a Nokia X is going to switch to a Windows Phone by some other OEM? Yeah I just don't see that happening often.

But you know what, don't buy what I say. We'll let the sales figures talk for themselves when the phone is out. I live in one of the developing markets (Pakistan) where this phone will be marketed heavily. I'll let you know how many people are buying this over a conventional Android phone in the same price bracket.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
The fact remains that millions of Android devices without that access are sold each month,

And how much do they cost? There are tons of Android devices out there that cost less than HALF of what the Nokia X costs. Contrary to what you may think, 89 Euros is a lot of price for an absolute bottom of the barrel spec'd phone in a developing market.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And how much do they cost? There are tons of Android devices out there that cost less than HALF of what the Nokia X costs. Contrary to what you may think, 89 Euros is a lot of price for an absolute bottom of the barrel spec'd phone in a developing market.

I agree with you on this point, but like I already said, ?89 is the launch price. It will be half that in six months.

Oh yeah, and the Nokia X is launching with 100'000+ apps. It isn't connected just to Nokia's store, but also to existing AOSP stores that are already fully populated with compatible apps.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
A little bit more eh? $120 vs $180 is 50% more. Obviously this phone is not targeted to people with first world math problems as far as cash is concerned :)

My point was that IMO the Moto G is worth a lot more, more than the difference in cost between the 2 phones. If the bottom line price is your only concern then there are plenty of other phones out there that are even cheaper than the Nokia X.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
My point was that IMO the Moto G is worth a lot more, more than the difference in cost between the 2 phones. If the bottom line price is your only concern then there are plenty of other phones out there that are even cheaper than the Nokia X.

Some people don't have the luxury of having enough money for the Moto G. I think the difference of cost between the 520 and the 1520 is worth it, but I probably wouldn't buy it phone if I had to buy it full price.

ortizang

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Whats wrong with the people? if nokia wants to have an android phone they can because it is not our company. Like it or not nokia x is a reality.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you on this point, but like I already said, €89 is the launch price. It will be half that in six months.

Oh yeah, and the Nokia X is launching with 100'000+ apps. It isn't connected just to Nokia's store, but also to existing AOSP stores that are already fully populated with compatible apps.
100,000 is about 1/10th of the total apps that are on Google Play Store.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Uh, how many can one install on a 32GB phone?
Seriously? You think when Apple and Google show off the 1 million apps on their respective phones, they mean to say you can install 1 million apps?! No. It means all the apps you can ever need are available. Nokia X has 900,000 less apps than what Android really has. This means there's a very high probability that my favourite app is not on it. Which means once again it has the exact same problem that Windows Phone has, something that has kept people away from it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
100,000 is about 1/10th of the total apps that are on Google Play Store.

And now you're back to your google play argument which was already debunked. It's not relevant, if the app stores the people in these regions use tend to be others than google play.

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? You think when Apple and Google show off the 1 million apps on their respective phones, they mean to say you can install 1 million apps?! No. It means all the apps you can ever need are available. Nokia X has 900,000 less apps than what Android really has. This means there's a very high probability that my favourite app is not on it. Which means once again it has the exact same problem that Windows Phone has, something that has kept people away from it.

Please provide concrete example(s) of the Apps you would want in WP are not there. This is a pretty generic statement. When I switched to WP, there was only one app I could not find, and I have about 100 apps on my 810. I was okay with not having this particular app, YMMV. I think people do not do a full in depth research of what their needs are and whether the growing WP ecosystem can meet their needs or not and just keep using the 1 million vs 100,000 app argument, which is getting a bit tired these days

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
And now you're back to your google play argument which was already debunked. It's not relevant, if the app stores the people in these regions use tend to be others than google play.
It wasn't debunked. You merely stated that millions of devices sold don't even run Google Play. I asked you how many are cheaper than Nokia X. A lot of these non-Google Play store devices are just disposable phones being sold in countries like China. Phones that are really aimed for basic call/message functionality, running free AOSP Android. Nokia X is hardly that. People who will buy it will expect a decent smartphone experience.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Please provide concrete example(s) of the Apps you would want in WP are not there. This is a pretty generic statement. When I switched to WP, there was only one app I could not find, and I have about 100 apps on my 810. I was okay with not having this particular app, YMMV. I think people do not do a full in depth research of what their needs are and whether the growing WP ecosystem can meet their needs or not and just keep using the 1 million vs 100,000 app argument, which is getting a bit tired these days

You're not getting my point. My point is; why would anyone get an Android phone that barely has any apps, versus an Android phone that has all the apps? Why would anyone go out of their way to purchase a phone like that?

People aren't going to do 'research' over what apps they need. This isn't a pHD thesis. They'll simply buy an Android phone because it has 'all the apps'. End of story. Windows Phone misses out on all cool new apps and games. Why do you think it has not sold well? You think people look at a beautiful new Lumia with an excellent camera, and then go out of their way to buy an ugly looking Samsung? It's because that Galaxy has all the apps.

I personally know people who don't even bother looking at Windows Phone because they know eventually they'll come across the app problem. I have an iPhone 5S and a Lumia 1020. Apart from the camera on the 1020, it's just paperweight for me. It has none of the games, and almost none of the apps I use on my iPhone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You're not getting my point. My point is; why would anyone get an Android phone that barely has any apps, versus an Android phone that has all the apps? Why would anyone go out of their way to purchase a phone like that?
Why do people have Kindles? Why do people buy Windows Phones?

Some people already own Nokia's and want another Nokia; but they aren't comfortable with getting a WP at this time.

People aren't going to do 'research' over what apps they need. This isn't a pHD thesis. They'll simply buy an Android phone because it has 'all the apps'. End of story. Windows Phone misses out on all cool new apps and games. Why do you think it has not sold well? You think people look at a beautiful new Lumia with an excellent camera, and then go out of their way to buy an ugly looking Samsung? It's because that Galaxy has all the apps.
You dont know how many apps or what apps will be available for it. So to assume that it won't fill that app void is premature.
As for the people who want a Galaxy... they'll buy one anyway. Nothing lost. It's not like those people were going to buy a Lumia.
I personally know people who don't even bother looking at Windows Phone because they know eventually they'll come across the app problem. I have an iPhone 5S and a Lumia 1020. Apart from the camera on the 1020, it's just paperweight for me. It has none of the games, and almost none of the apps I use on my iPhone.
And if the X ends up having the vast majority of apps that entry-level low-end smartphone users want, then it will be good enough for them. Better to have them not tied into Google services so that they have the option of moving to Lumia in the future when the app disparity is smaller.

Remember, this product is NOT targeted towards you. What you would do is irrelevant.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't debunked. You merely stated that millions of devices sold don't even run Google Play. I asked you how many are cheaper than Nokia X. A lot of these non-Google Play store devices are just disposable phones being sold in countries like China. Phones that are really aimed for basic call/message functionality, running free AOSP Android. Nokia X is hardly that. People who will buy it will expect a decent smartphone experience.

People don't expect much of a smartphone when they are buying something entry-level. They know that they aren't buying an S4 because they aren't paying the price of an S4.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
People don't expect much of a smartphone when they are buying something entry-level. They know that they aren't buying an S4 because they aren't paying the price of an S4.

89 Euros is not entry level in a developing market. There are smartphones running Android that cost half as much widely available here. Think from a developing marketing perspective (if you can, because that is where this phone will sell), and not from UK or USA.

PureView

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Why do people have Kindles? Why do people buy Windows Phones?

Some people already own Nokia's and want another Nokia; but they aren't comfortable with getting a WP at this time.

You dont know how many apps or what apps will be available for it. So to assume that it won't fill that app void is premature.
As for the people who want a Galaxy... they'll buy one anyway. Nothing lost. It's not like those people were going to buy a Lumia.

And if the X ends up having the vast majority of apps that entry-level low-end smartphone users want, then it will be good enough for them. Better to have them not tied into Google services so that they have the option of moving to Lumia in the future when the app disparity is smaller.

Remember, this product is NOT targeted towards you. What you would do is irrelevant.
All your argument is based on 'if' or 'what if'. People don't purchase phones based on what ifs. They purchase it based on what's currently on it.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
89 Euros is not entry level in a developing market. There are smartphones running Android that cost half as much widely available here. Think from a developing marketing perspective (if you can, because that is where this phone will sell), and not from UK or USA.

By the same token in the developing world Nokia carries a significant amount of weight and people would not mind having a Nokia versus any joe Android phone. The only other name that carries equal weight would be Samsung.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
By the same token in the developing world Nokia carries a significant amount of weight and people would not mind having a Nokia versus any joe Android phone.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but I wonder why, if Nokia is such a respected name, why aren't users in the developing world buying Lumia 520s? Is the price too high? Do they want Android? Aren't the 520s readily available?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel