Nokia X: What browser is it using?

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has been very emphatic that the forked Android in the X phones run no Google services, only Microsoft. One thing I'm curious about, though, given Nokia's aversion to anything Google, is what browser it's using. Is it Chrome? Is it IE for Android (lol)? Is it Nokia XPress? For example, the other popular forked Android, Amazon Kindle Fire, uses the Silk browser, though that is still based on WebKit which is what Chrome (kinda) also uses. Would be interesting to know just how committed Nokia is to removing Google from the X phones if Chrome is/isn't in the operating system, and what's in its place if it isn't.

What browser do you think it has, or if you've bought/reviewed the X, tell us what it has.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I image that its the stock Android browser, possibly reskined. I'm not even sure if they'd be allowed to make their own IE because of trademark issues.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My guess is the stock Android browser and/or a Nokia Xpress

I used Android (CM10/11 unofficial build) and it had the stock browser onboard. Chrome wasn't available anyway since the phone was ARMv6 not 7.
So that browser is still around.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
There's the possibility of Firefox. I'd bet that Nokia may work with Mozilla to get it fully functional on the X, with services dependent on MS and Nokia. What would be telling is if IE did come over. MS is wants to at least be somewhat platform agnostic, so making IE available on Android (and iOS) wouldn't be a bad idea.

MicrosoftNorthstar

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Opera? Not sure how I feel about this. Weren't they the ones who bribed the European Union to fine Microsoft for bundling IE with Windows, giving us the browser ballot screen?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon